- More rain, flooding forecast along soggy East Coast Updated: Oct-03-15 1:57 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Rain pummeling parts of the East Coast showed little sign of slackening Saturday, with record-setting precipitation prolonging the soppy misery that has been eased only by news that powerful Hurricane Joaquin will not hit the U.S.
- Official: Christie transportation commissioner to step down Updated: Oct-02-15 10:20 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Gov. Chris Christie's transportation commissioner will resign this month as federal investigators continue a wide-ranging probe into the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which he previously lobbied on behalf of United Airlines.
- The Latest: Rains close highway in North Carolina Updated: Oct-02-15 9:12 pm
MIAMI - The latest on drenching storms threatening the East Coast as Hurricane Joaquin swirls in the Atlantic. All times local:
- Charity bike ride that draws 7,000 canceled because of storm Updated: Oct-02-15 11:12 am
OCEAN CITY, New Jersey - A big charity bike ride across New Jersey has been canceled because of the rainstorm pounding the state.
- AP News in Brief at 9:58 p.m. EDT Updated: Oct-01-15 11:00 pm
Gunman opens fire at Oregon community college before dying in shootout; at least 9 dead
- US official: Hudson tunnel project needs clarity on scope Updated: Oct-01-15 5:43 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Plans are moving ahead to build a new Hudson River rail tunnel and make other large-scale infrastructure improvements, but the lack of a final decision on the scope of the project is stalling further advances, the federal official overseeing the project said Thursday.
- Newark teachers union not in love with breakthrough contract Updated: Oct-01-15 9:50 am
NEWARK, New Jersey - It was hailed as a breakthrough when the bargain was struck: Top-performing teachers in Newark could get bigger paychecks.
- Field for SC's Republican presidential primary set at 15 Updated: Sep-30-15 6:32 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina Republican Party officials say 15 candidates have paid the $40,000 fee to be on the state GOP presidential primary ballot next year.
- In New Hampshire, substance abuse at center of 2016 campaign Updated: Sep-30-15 3:29 pm
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - In town halls and meet-and-greets in Iowa and New Hampshire, voters are using their access to presidential hopefuls to raise painful and often deeply personal concerns about drug abuse.
- Clinton, Bush steady fundraising amid GOP summer Trump slump Updated: Sep-30-15 7:28 am
WASHINGTON - Voters won't cast their first ballots in the presidential race until February, but donors have been making their picks for months.
- Yogi Berra remembered at funeral by family, sports royalty Updated: Sep-29-15 8:51 pm
MONTCLAIR, New Jersey - A gold catcher's mitt was placed on top of his remains. But on a day filled with stories from a lifetime in baseball, Yogi Berra was remembered for being more than one of the game's greats.
- Noah takes over as 'Daily Show' host, praises Stewart Updated: Sep-29-15 8:55 am
NEW YORK - South African comic Trevor Noah moved in at "The Daily Show" on Monday, promising he'd try not to make predecessor Jon Stewart seem like a "crazy old dude who left his inheritance to some random kid from Africa."
- Christie: Gas tax hike should be paired with cuts Updated: Sep-28-15 4:11 pm
WHIPPANY, New Jersey - Republicans should not support any legislation raising the state's gasoline tax unless other taxes are cut, Gov. Chris Christie said Monday.
- Republican megadonor urges talk on climate change solutions Updated: Sep-28-15 3:04 pm
WASHINGTON - Republican businessman Jay Faison says his party should stop fighting science and start talking solutions to climate change. He has $175 million to invest in politics and policy to help inspire them. And if that's not enough, he's commissioned a survey, released Monday, that he says shows voters agree.
- 'The Prize' shows complexity of school reform Updated: Sep-28-15 2:46 pm
"The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?" (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt), by Dale Russakoff
- No Labels event in NH to draw 8 presidential hopefuls Updated: Sep-28-15 3:46 am
WASHINGTON - Businessman Donald Trump, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and Ohio Gov. John Kasich will headline a bipartisan presidential forum in New Hampshire next month aimed at addressing the nation's most urgent problems.
- Tangled web surrounds United's aborted Atlantic City routes Updated: Sep-28-15 2:44 am
NEW YORK - Desperate to draw visitors to Atlantic City, New Jersey officials gave United Airlines more than $100,000 in incentives to fly to the seaside resort for at least a year. Then, when United abruptly canceled the money-losing routes eight months later, the officials appointed by Gov. Chris Christie decided not to enforce a contract provision that required the airline to repay the money, The Associated Press has learned.
- Tangled web surrounds United's aborted Atlantic City routes Updated: Sep-28-15 2:36 am
NEW YORK - United Airlines was given more than $100,000 in marketing incentives last year as part of a deal to start flights to Atlantic City International Airport. However, The Associated Press has learned that when the airline broke the agreement by abruptly canceling the money-losing routes early, officials appointed by New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie decided not to enforce a contract provision that required United to repay the money.
- GOP religious conservatives channeling anger toward victory Updated: Sep-27-15 5:11 am
WASHINGTON - Religious activists in the Republican Party, bolstered by House Speaker John Boehner's sudden exit, say the next GOP presidential nominee must share their uncompromising stance on abortion rights, gay marriage and other priorities to get to the White House.
- Amid federal probe, Port Authority adopts new ethics rules Updated: Sep-25-15 4:26 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey has adopted new ethics rules as federal prosecutors probe potential wrongdoing at the agency, involving billions of dollars in public works projects.
- Christie has good record of surviving veto override attempts Updated: Sep-25-15 4:04 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - The Democrat-led Legislature has tried dozens of times to override vetoes by Gov. Chris Christie, but he's survived more attempts than any of his predecessors during the last five decades.
- Christie orders flags at half-staff in honor of Yogi Berra Updated: Sep-25-15 12:06 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has signed an executive order honoring baseball great Yogi Berra.
- Developer plans $1B project in 1 of nation's poorest cities Updated: Sep-24-15 5:08 pm
CAMDEN, New Jersey - A developer that is remaking the Philadelphia skyline plans a $1 billion transformation of a 16-acre swath of the Camden waterfront, the latest in a series of projects spurred on by the promise of state tax incentives for companies that relocate to the city.
- Senate approves measure backing Hudson rail project Updated: Sep-24-15 4:07 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - The state Senate is calling on the federal government to support a recent proposal from Governors Chris Christie of New Jersey and Andrew Cuomo of New York to build a new rail tunnel beneath the Hudson River.
- Lawmakers fail to override Christie veto for the 52nd time Updated: Sep-24-15 3:31 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Lawmakers failed to override Gov. Chris Christie's veto of a bill requiring law enforcement agencies to be notified when a prospective gun-buyer applies to expunge mental health records.