- Bipartisan agreement on bill to rework No Child Left Behind Updated: Nov-20-15 4:22 am
WASHINGTON - The Bush-era No Child Left Behind education law has long been criticized as unworkable, too punitive and in need of repair. After years of trying, Congress is finally on the verge of rewriting the 2002 law.
- Congress finally close to vote on new education law Updated: Nov-19-15 8:31 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress is finally close to a vote to rewrite the outdated and highly criticized No Child Left Behind education law.
- Sen. Alexander to host Monday education talk in Chattanooga Updated: Nov-09-15 5:02 am
CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee - Republican U.S. Sen. Lamar Alexander is hosting a round table on higher education issues at Chattanooga State Community College on Monday.
- Actor-politician Fred Thompson remembered for wit, sincerity Updated: Nov-06-15 4:29 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Former U.S. senator and actor Fred Thompson was remembered Friday for his booming voice, sense of humor and sincerity.
- Former Sen. Fred Thompson, had TV and film roles, dead at 73 Updated: Nov-01-15 10:33 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Former U.S. Senator Fred Thompson, a folksy Tennessee lawyer whose career led him from politics to Hollywood and back again, died Sunday. He was 73.
- Disappointing report card for fourth and eighth graders Updated: Oct-28-15 4:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The nation's schoolkids turned in a lackluster performance on national tests, with math scores for fourth and eighth graders declining for the first time in 25 years. Reading scores were not much better: flat for fourth graders and lower for eighth graders than two years ago.