- NYC lawmakers impose 5-cent charge for plastic bags Updated: May-05-16 5:14 pm
NEW YORK - Every minute of every day, usually without thinking, thousands of New Yorkers reach across the counter at shops and supermarkets and accept a disposable plastic bag. The city's sanitation department estimates 10 billion bags a year are tossed in the trash - roughly 19,000 per minute.
- Clock starts for voters to reject new California tobacco age Updated: May-05-16 2:12 am
SACRAMENTO, California - California has become the second state in the nation to raise the legal age to buy tobacco from 18 to 21, starting the clock for opponents to ask voters for a reversal this November.
- Sugary-drink-tax campaign to run with help from ex-NY mayor Updated: May-03-16 9:30 am
PHILADELPHIA - Proponents of a sugary drinks tax in Philadelphia are going on the counterattack with help from former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
- Obama out: President closes out his run as comedian-in-chief Updated: May-01-16 5:01 am
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama performed his brand of sharp-tongued comedy at the White House Correspondents' Dinner for the last time - wrapping up with "Obama out" and dropping the mic while the crowd cheered.
- Tracking the flow of guns used in crime is inexact science Updated: Apr-28-16 5:35 pm
SMYRNA, Georgia - Adventure Outdoors is an 80,000-square-foot store with walls lined with long guns, cases packed with handguns and aisles jammed with all the accessories an avid outdoorsman would need: coolers, clothing, ammo. At the customer service counter is a government-issued poster that warns: "Don't lie for the other guy."
- Dinny Phipps remembered: 'He won the Triple Crown of life' Updated: Apr-12-16 10:30 pm
NEW YORK - Ogden Mills "Dinny" Phipps was remembered during a memorial service on Tuesday as a "big man with a big heart" who "won the Triple Crown of life."
- NY medical examiner who oversaw office on 9/11 dies at 79 Updated: Apr-08-16 8:57 pm
NEW YORK - Dr. Charles Hirsch, who oversaw the city medical examiner's office for more than two decades and whose staff helped identify the remains of Sept. 11 victims, has died. He was 79.
- Actress Helen Mirren to present "Jewish Nobel" in Jerusalem Updated: Apr-06-16 10:13 am
JERUSALEM - Oscar-winning actress Helen Mirren has agreed to host the award ceremony of Israel's Genesis Prize in Jerusalem.