- Pope brings 'church for the poor' to South America's poorest Updated: Jul-02-15 8:19 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis is taking his "church for the poor" to three of South America's poorest and most peripheral countries, making a grueling, week-long trip that will showcase the pope at his unpredictable best: speaking his native Spanish on his home turf about issues closest to his heart.
- Heeding Francis, Iowa Catholic leaders to pressure '16 field Updated: Jul-02-15 3:40 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Roman Catholic leaders in the early voting state of Iowa will call Thursday on candidates for president to follow the teachings of Pope Francis and focus as much on the environment and income inequality in 2016 as they have in past elections on opposing gay marriage and abortion.
- DC stop of Pope Francis trip includes White House, Congress Updated: Jun-30-15 4:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Pope Francis will spend 48 hours in Washington during a September visit, stopping at both the White House and Congress on his first trip to the United States as pope, the Vatican announced Tuesday.
- Pope to meet with homeless, prisoners and immigrants in US Updated: Jun-30-15 3:58 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis will meet with homeless people, immigrants and prisoners during his upcoming trip to Cuba and the United States and become the first pope to address the U.S. Congress. He'll also preside over a meeting about religious liberty - a major issue for U.S. bishops in the wake of the Supreme Court's gay marriage decision.
- Benedict XVI escapes heat wave, heads to Castel Gandolfo Updated: Jun-30-15 7:41 am
VATICAN CITY - Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI is leaving the Vatican for his first sojourn since retiring. He's escaping an impending heat wave by heading to the papal summer residence at Castel Gandolfo.
- Pope to stay away from homeland during South American visit Updated: Jun-23-15 12:08 am
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Pope Francis' homeland of Argentina is not on the itinerary for his South American tour in July.
- Pope pauses in silent prayer before Shroud of Turin Updated: Jun-21-15 2:47 pm
TURIN, Italy - Pope Francis paused in silent prayer before the Shroud of Turin Sunday, becoming the latest of hundreds of thousands of people who have come this year to Turin's cathedral to view the burial linen some believe covered the body of Jesus after crucifixion.
- Pennsylvania man's altar design chosen for Pope's mass Updated: Jun-17-15 10:41 am
BETHEL PARK, Pennsylvania - When Pope Francis celebrates outdoor Mass in Washington this September, he'll be using a custom-made altar and papal chair designed by an architecture student from Western Pennsylvania.
- Whodunit playing out as Vatican reels from encyclical leak Updated: Jun-16-15 10:37 am
VATICAN CITY - There's something of a whodunit going on in the Vatican to discover who leaked Pope Francis' environment encyclical to an Italian newsweekly, deflating the release of the most anticipated and feared papal document in recent times.
- US Catholic bishops discuss how to best follow pope's lead Updated: Jun-11-15 4:04 pm
ST. LOUIS - The nation's Roman Catholic bishops engaged Thursday in a rare public discussion about whether their priorities properly reflect those of Pope Francis, with one church leader urging an emphasis on helping immigrants that's at least as energetic as the bishops' focus on religious freedom.
- Pope dismisses Madonna 'visions' as shrine decision nears Updated: Jun-09-15 1:13 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis gave a hint Tuesday about his take on the reported apparitions of the Virgin Mary at the Medjugorje shrine in southern Bosnia, dismissing a reliance on regular visions of the Madonna as mere "novelty-seeking" for the faithful.
- Russia's Putin to visit Pope Francis June 10 at the Vatican Updated: Jun-04-15 7:58 am
VATICAN CITY - Russian President Vladimir Putin will meet with Pope Francis on June 10 at the Vatican, with conflicts in Syria and Ukraine likely to top the Holy See's agenda.