- Egypt turns to Russia to combat terrorism Updated: Aug-26-15 10:31 am
MOSCOW - Russian President Vladimir Putin and Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi on Wednesday called for a coalition to combat terrorism in the Middle East.
- Massive IS car bomb hits Cairo security building, wounds 29 Updated: Aug-20-15 8:56 am
CAIRO - A massive car bomb claimed by Islamic State militants ripped into a national security building in a residential neighborhood in Cairo early Thursday, wounding at least 29 people and blowing the facades off nearby buildings.
- US weighs more security, withdrawal option for Sinai forces Updated: Aug-18-15 4:13 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is quietly reviewing the future of America's three-decade deployment to Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, fearful the lightly equipped peacekeepers could be targets of escalating Islamic State-inspired violence. Options range from beefing up their protection or even pulling them out altogether, officials told The Associated Press.
- Egypt president asks for public support after mother's death Updated: Aug-17-15 1:25 pm
CAIRO - The Egyptian presidency says President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi's mother has died and urges Egyptians to support public projects instead of paying for notices offering condolences on her passing.
- Egypt's banned ultras soccer fans take to streets Updated: Aug-17-15 3:34 am
CAIRO - Chanting slogans, carrying signs and waving flares, these eager young men who gather in Egypt could be mistaken for Arab Spring demonstrators.
- Egypt: Military aircraft crashes near Libya border, 4 dead Updated: Aug-13-15 2:46 pm
CAIRO - The spokesman of Egypt's armed forces says a military aircraft crashed near the border with Libya because of a technical failure while on a counterterrorism mission, killing four crew members and wounding two.
- Deadline passes for Croat held by IS militants in Egypt Updated: Aug-07-15 4:14 pm
CAIRO - Police searches and diplomatic efforts intensified over the fate of a Croatian hostage held in Egypt by Islamic State extremists, who threatened to kill him Friday if the government did not release imprisoned Islamist women.
- Egypt unveils Suez Canal extension with pomp-filled ceremony Updated: Aug-06-15 5:22 pm
ISMAILIA, Egypt - In a defining moment of his young presidency, Egypt's Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi presided Thursday over the unveiling of a major extension of the Suez Canal that he hailed as a historic feat needed to revive the country's ailing economy after years of unrest.
- AP News in Brief at 5:58 a.m. EDT Updated: Aug-04-15 6:05 am
Debate stage drama: Republican presidential candidates await top 10 announcement
- Egypt's disaffected youth increasingly calling for violence Updated: Aug-04-15 2:01 am
CAIRO - The 20-year-old law student says he has had enough of fruitless protests in support of Egypt's deposed Islamist president, two years of a losing struggle with police.
- US, Egypt resume formal security talks with Kerry visit Updated: Aug-02-15 8:31 pm
CAIRO - Despite persistent human rights concerns, the United States on Sunday resumed formal security talks with Egypt that were last held six years ago and kept on hiatus until now amid political unrest that swept the country in the wake of the Arab Spring.
- Egypt court postpones Al-Jazeera English verdict to Aug. 29 Updated: Aug-02-15 8:14 am
CAIRO - An Egyptian court on Sunday again postponed announcing a verdict in the retrial of three Al-Jazeera English journalists, extending the long-running trial criticized worldwide by press freedom advocates and human rights activists.
- Kerry off to Mideast with Egypt, Iran deal, Syria on agenda Updated: Jul-31-15 11:11 pm
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry headed to the Middle East on Friday for security talks in Egypt and discussions in Qatar with Arab foreign ministers whose countries are wary of the nuclear deal struck with Iran.