- Cyprus court gets request to extradite Egyptian hijacker Updated: May-20-16 8:50 am
NICOSIA, Cyprus - Cypriot prosecutors on Friday submitted to court the justice minister's formal request to extradite to Egypt a man who admitted to hijacking an EgyptAir passenger jet with a fake suicide belt in March and diverting it to Cyprus.
- Gazans say Jordan restricting movement Updated: May-16-16 2:37 pm
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Gazans who endured a border blockade by neighboring Egypt and Israel for almost a decade thought they were finally catching a break when Israel slightly eased restrictions on travel from the Hamas-ruled territory in recent months.
- Wide arrests in Egypt signal no-tolerance policy on critics Updated: May-11-16 9:51 am
CAIRO - Hours after marching in a peaceful protest against the government late last month, Yassin Mohammed and his friends were lingering in the area in a district of the Egyptian capital when police descended on them, piled them into a minibus and took them to a police station. There, he said, he was blindfolded, handcuffed and beaten by security agents.
- Egypt court recommends death for 2 Al-Jazeera employees Updated: May-07-16 2:07 pm
CAIRO - An Egyptian court on Saturday recommended the death sentence against six people, including two Al-Jazeera employees, for allegedly passing documents related to national security to Qatar and the Doha-based TV network during the rule of Islamist president Mohammed Morsi.
- Egypt explorers hunt gold in the desert, following ancients Updated: Apr-28-16 3:32 pm
EASTERN DESERT, Egypt - Off the off-road tracks deep in Egypt's eastern desert, prospectors are ramping up the hunt for the treasure once revered by the Pharaohs as the "skin of the gods" - gold.