- GOP hopefuls take on illegal immigration in debate preview Updated: Aug-03-15 11:07 pm
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - The Republican Party's presidential class demanded aggressive steps to curb illegal immigration, seizing on a delicate political issue while facing off in New Hampshire on Monday night during a crowded and pointed preview of the 2016 primary season's first full-fledged debate.
- West Virginia faces more stringent goals in final power plan Updated: Aug-03-15 7:37 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - President Barack Obama released a plan Monday requiring West Virginia to take deeper cuts into their emissions from power plants than the administration originally proposed.
- Obama's power plant climate plan shifts to courts, states Updated: Aug-03-15 6:28 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama sought to clamp down Monday on power plant emissions with a federal plan that - if successful - would attempt to slow global warming by dramatically shifting the way Americans get and use electricity.
- Obama power plant rules spark 2016 fight over climate change Updated: Aug-03-15 5:09 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama's sweeping new power plant regulations are thrusting the divisive debate over climate change into the race for the White House, with candidates in both parties seeing an opportunity to capitalize.
- Legislator proposes exotic animal ban in wake of lion hunt Updated: Aug-02-15 5:13 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Lions and tigers and bears - maybe in Oz, but not in Wisconsin if one Republican legislator gets his way.
- Conservative donor Koch urges end to 'corporate cronyism' Updated: Aug-01-15 9:31 pm
DANA POINT, California - Billionaire industrialist and conservative political donor Charles Koch welcomed a group of roughly 450 like-minded fundraisers to one of his twice-annual conferences Saturday by challenging them to advocate for ending "corporate cronyism" - even if those policies help their businesses.
- Correction: Economic Agency story Updated: Aug-01-15 11:58 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - In a story July 31 about the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation board, The Associated Press reported erroneously that one unsecured loan the board gave out was worth $50,000. The unsecured loan was worth $500,000.
- Wisconsin justice defends participation in Walker case Updated: Jul-30-15 6:08 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice David Prosser said Thursday he didn't have to recuse himself from a ruling that ended a secret investigation into coordination between Republican Gov. Scott Walker's recall campaign and outside groups. Prosser acknowledged spending by some of those same groups helped him win re-election in 2011 but argued that was years ago.
- Kasich is 5th candidate who plans to attend Michigan event Updated: Jul-30-15 4:07 am
MACKINAC ISLAND, Michigan - Ohio Gov. John Kasich is scheduled to speak at a Republican gathering in Michigan in September.
- City, county votes on Bucks arena expected in coming weeks Updated: Jul-29-15 8:50 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - The plan for a new Milwaukee Bucks arena now shifts to the local level.
- Wisconsin Assembly approves Milwaukee Bucks arena deal Updated: Jul-29-15 12:37 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - The Wisconsin state Assembly voted Tuesday to spend $250 million in public funds on a new arena for the Milwaukee Bucks, a deal that both Republicans and Democrats lauded as good for the state and city.
- Walker calls Bucks arena 'good deal all the way around' Updated: Jul-29-15 12:34 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker says the bill passed by the state Assembly committing $250 million in taxpayer money toward paying for a new Milwaukee Bucks arena a "good deal all the way around."
- Scott Walker orders American on cheesesteaks, avoiding gaffe Updated: Jul-28-15 4:51 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The governor of the nation's top cheese-producing state visited the capital of cheesesteaks on Tuesday and ordered two topped with American, skipping the customary Cheez Whiz but avoiding the blunder of a former presidential candidate who was ridiculed for wanting his with Swiss.
- Obama calls GOP criticism of Iran deal 'ridiculous,' 'sad' Updated: Jul-27-15 10:55 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - President Barack Obama unleashed a blistering and belittling rebuke of Republican White House hopefuls Monday, calling their attack on his landmark nuclear deal with Iran "ridiculous if it weren't so sad."
- With new bump, Minnesota ushers in region's top minimum wage Updated: Jul-27-15 2:49 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota will vault past Illinois, Michigan and South Dakota this week to gain the highest minimum wage in the Midwestern region at $9 an hour.
- Tim Scott rolls out town hall schedule with GOP hopefuls Updated: Jul-27-15 11:14 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina's junior senator is offering voters a chance to get to know some of the Republican presidential candidates.
- Fadness leaving Wisconsin GOP to join Walker campaign Updated: Jul-27-15 10:32 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin Republican Party executive director Joe Fadness is leaving his position to join Scott Walker's presidential campaign.
- Wisconsin nonpartisan elections board targeted for overhaul Updated: Jul-26-15 11:52 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Stung by a corruption scandal that led to the convictions of five lawmakers, a longtime Republican state senator met with the head of a government watchdog agency at a bar down the street from the Capitol to talk about how to improve ethics oversight.
- Walker announces senior presidential campaign team Updated: Jul-24-15 3:04 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker announced the leaders of his presidential campaign team on Friday, a mixture of longtime, close advisers from Wisconsin, employees of the Republican National Committee and veterans of previous national races.
- Walker cancels campaigning to attend funeral Updated: Jul-24-15 11:17 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker has canceled presidential campaign stops in North Carolina and New Hampshire so he can attend the funeral of a Wisconsin native who was one of four Marines killed in last week's shootings in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- Assembly speaker asked for open records changes Updated: Jul-23-15 5:19 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Assembly Speaker Robin Vos was the state lawmaker who drafted a proposal that would have gutted Wisconsin's open records law and protected legislators from having to release documents currently available, documents released to The Associated Press on Thursday show.
- GOP's Walker hits Obama on Iran, strikes combative tone Updated: Jul-23-15 4:48 pm
SAN DIEGO - Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker told a sympathetic crowd of state lawmakers from around the country Thursday that he would trash the nuclear deal with Iran on his first day as president, striking a combative tone on how he would govern on a range of domestic and foreign policy issues.
- Republican Governors Association taps Baker for key panel Updated: Jul-23-15 3:21 am
BOSTON - Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker has been elected to the executive committee of the Republican Governors Association.
- Gov. Walker shuns Trump's presidential primary attention Updated: Jul-22-15 2:21 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker said Wednesday that he's not worried about the attention Donald Trump is getting in his bid for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination.
- Ducey joins Republican governors group's executive committee Updated: Jul-22-15 12:28 pm
PHOENIX - Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey is among three governors newly elected to serve on the Republican Governors Association's executive committee.