- Closer Look: Despite budget deadlock, there are ways out Updated: Jul-05-15 11:01 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - What Illinois needs is for one of its political leaders to blink.
- Mayor: Chicago school cuts include layoffs, less maintenance Updated: Jul-01-15 9:25 pm
CHICAGO - Chicago school and city officials detailed $200 million in cuts - including layoffs, scaled-back maintenance and reduced transportation - to the nation's third-largest school district Wednesday, one day after the district paid a $634 million pension bill officials said it couldn't afford.
- Chicago schools make pension payment; 1,400 jobs 'impacted' Updated: Jun-30-15 10:16 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The interim CEO of Chicago Public Schools said Tuesday 1,400 jobs will be "impacted" after Illinois lawmakers failed to provide relief and the financially struggling district had to borrow money to make a $634 million contribution to its teacher pension funds.
- Democrats propose 1-month budget; Rauner ready to nix it Updated: Jun-30-15 8:23 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner appeared ready Tuesday to reject a Democratic proposal aimed at keeping state services functioning for another month, leaving the state without a way to pay bills and leading to questions about what will happen Wednesday morning.
- Excerpts from editorials by Illinois newspapers Updated: Jun-30-15 6:56 pm
June 30, 2015
- Illinois agencies asked to explain operations without budget Updated: Jun-29-15 11:58 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Illinois House has invited 15 state agencies to report on how they intend to carry out operations if there's no state budget in place by Wednesday.
- Gov. Rauner's request for 5 business reforms hold up budget Updated: Jun-28-15 12:34 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner has an answer to the state Capitol budget impasse: adopt five "structural reforms" that make it cheaper to do business in Illinois.
- Democrats blast Illinois Gov. Rauner's budget vetoes Updated: Jun-25-15 4:16 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois Democrats are criticizing Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner's move to veto budget legislation.
- Illinois House approves DCEO privatization bill Updated: Jun-23-15 8:19 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A plan to privatize Illinois' economic development agency and beef up its responsibilities has cleared the House.
- Equal pay, marijuana bills test Gov. Rauner's social agenda Updated: Jun-21-15 10:44 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Throughout his campaign for governor, Bruce Rauner asserted he didn't have a social agenda and was focused solely on Illinois' deepening financial crisis.
- Amtrak unsure whether Gov. Rauner will cut state funding Updated: Jun-17-15 9:40 pm
- Rauner launches ads blasting Madigan, Illinois Democrats Updated: Jun-16-15 6:07 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner has launched television ads criticizing House Speaker Michael Madigan and other Illinois Democrats as unwilling to cut spending and interested only in raising taxes.
- Rauner criticizes Democratic lawmakers' loyalties to Chicago Updated: Jun-15-15 3:51 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner has latched onto the longtime rivalry between Chicago and the rest of the state as he tries to negotiate with Democratic House Speaker Michael Madigan and Senate President John Cullerton, both from Chicago, in the Illinois Legislature over the budget.