- Like N.W.A, 'Compton' likely to inspire imitations Updated: Aug-17-15 7:40 pm
NEW YORK - Underestimate the crossover appeal of N.W.A at your peril.
- 'Empire,' One Direction win at 17th Teen Choice Awards Updated: Aug-16-15 10:43 pm
NEW YORK - The 17th Teen Choice Awards threw its full support behind the hit series "Empire," honored late "Furious 7" star Paul Walker and paid homage to a respected elder: Britney Spears.
- Gaga, Berry, Blunt get personal at Golden Globe grants event Updated: Aug-14-15 12:17 pm
BEVERLY HILLS, California - Lady Gaga, Halle Berry and Emily Blunt enlivened the Hollywood Foreign Press Association's annual grants presentation with personal revelations.
- How N.W.A biopic intertwines with Suge Knight's court cases Updated: Aug-13-15 2:20 pm
LOS ANGELES - Marion "Suge" Knight isn't a major character in the N.W.A biopic "Straight Outta Compton," but his presence looms large over the film, whether it's in shots that play up his imposing frame or the real life court cases that have put the former rap music mogul back in the spotlight.
- Review: 'Straight Outta Compton' a biopic to its own beat Updated: Aug-11-15 7:25 pm
The shotgun blast of fury that first emanated from South Central Los Angeles in 1988 still packs a punch.
- Director defends 'Straight Outta Compton' accuracy Updated: Aug-11-15 2:26 pm
LOS ANGELES - The director of "Straight Outta Compton" says he's "very happy with the accuracy" of the movie that depicts the creation and eventual breakup of influential rap group N.W.A.
- From outlaws to icons: N.W.A. goes big-screen mainstream Updated: Aug-11-15 1:55 pm
LOS ANGELES - When N.W.A. released its 1988 debut album, "Straight Outta Compton," it was vilified by mainstream media. They found the music aggressive, profane and pointedly anti-police. It glorified violence and dehumanized women. Most radio stations refused to play it. It was the birth of gangsta rap, and it was considered dangerous.
- Newcomers bring NWA to life in 'Straight Outta Compton' Updated: Aug-10-15 1:20 pm
LOS ANGELES - To turn three unknown actors into Ice Cube, Dr. Dre and Eazy-E, they'd have to become friends for real.
- Music Review: Dr. Dre's 'Compton' feels classic Updated: Aug-09-15 12:37 pm
Dr. Dre, Compton (Aftermath/Interscope)
- Ice Cube's son becomes him in 'Straight Outta Compton' Updated: Aug-07-15 12:04 pm
LOS ANGELES - O'Shea Jackson Jr. was determined to play his father, Ice Cube, in "Straight Outta Compton." Not only does the 24-year-old look uncannily like his dad, but he's also got the rapper-turned-movie star's mannerisms and expressions down - something he used to his advantage during the two-year audition process.