- Capitol Hill Buzz: Pelosi, Chaffetz differ on burger invite Updated: Oct-06-15 2:38 pm
WASHINGTON - Just days into his long-shot bid for speaker of the House, Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah is already butting heads with Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif.
- Clinton ad seizes on Rep. McCarthy's Benghazi comments Updated: Oct-06-15 10:14 am
WASHINGTON - Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton is running a new ad that seizes on House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy's admission that the Benghazi committee can take credit for her diminished public standing.
- Q&A: How does the House elect a new speaker? Updated: Oct-05-15 4:43 pm
WASHINGTON - At noon on Thursday, Republicans will gather behind closed doors and vote by secret ballot for their candidate for the most powerful job in the House, a post that's second in line to the presidency - Speaker of the House.
- Chaffetz made career by confronting establishment Updated: Oct-05-15 8:09 am
WASHINGTON - One-time college placekicker Jason Chaffetz wants to boot Republican House leaders off their path to promotions.
- AP Sources: Chaffetz to seek speaker bid against McCarthy Updated: Oct-02-15 4:29 pm
WASHINGTON - Republican Rep. Jason Chaffetz of Utah is planning to run for House speaker in a surprise longshot challenge to House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy.
- Treasury: Nov. 5 deadline for Congress to act on debt limit Updated: Oct-01-15 6:07 pm
WASHINGTON - The deadline for Congress to increase the government's borrowing limit is coming earlier than expected, moving up to about Nov. 5.
- House speaker candidate talks basics: highways, agencies Updated: Sep-29-15 8:03 am
WASHINGTON - House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, who hopes to become speaker, is talking about fixing some basics of government after years of social issues rocking his party.
- McMorris Rodgers won't run for House majority leader Updated: Sep-29-15 12:11 am
SEATTLE - U.S. Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers of Spokane ended speculation Monday, saying in a statement she won't join the race for House majority leader.
- McCarthy calls for beefed-up US response against IS, Russia Updated: Sep-28-15 2:43 pm
WASHINGTON - House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, the front-runner to replace House Speaker John Boehner, denounced President Barack Obama's foreign policy on Monday, saying the U.S. has "lost the respect of allies and adversaries alike."
- Odds-on favorite for next speaker known for political skill Updated: Sep-26-15 2:51 am
WASHINGTON - Rep. Kevin McCarthy has risen to the upper reaches of House leadership mostly on the basis of his people skills and political smarts rather than his policy chops.
- Boehner: Resigning to avert 'irreparable harm' to the House Updated: Sep-25-15 1:27 pm
WASHINGTON - An emotional House Speaker John Boehner says he woke up Friday morning and decided to announce his resignation from Congress because prolonged turmoil over his leadership would do irreparable harm to the House.
- Senate blocks anti-abortion bill; new showdown set Updated: Sep-22-15 5:11 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate Democrats thwarted a Republican effort to ban late-term abortions on Tuesday as GOP leaders strained to avoid a government shutdown in eight days over the dispute - all against a tangled backdrop of presidential politics.
- House panel votes to lift 40-year-old US ban on oil exports Updated: Sep-17-15 2:32 pm
WASHINGTON - A key House committee endorsed a bill Thursday to lift the four-decade-old ban on crude oil exports, setting up a likely vote by the full House on a bill President Barack Obama opposes.
- White House opposes GOP bill to lift oil export ban Updated: Sep-15-15 5:37 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House said Tuesday it opposes a House Republican bill to lift the four-decade-old ban on crude oil exports.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: GOP lawmaker looks to impeach EPA chief Updated: Sep-14-15 7:51 pm
WASHINGTON - A Republican lawmaker says the head of the Environmental Protection Agency should be impeached, but the effort appears unlikely to get very far.