- Conservative opposition threatens criminal justice overhaul Updated: Feb-09-16 6:42 pm
WASHINGTON - A handful of Senate Republicans on Tuesday dealt a severe blow to prospects for overhauling the criminal justice system in Congress this year, with one lawmaker calling the bipartisan legislation championed by President Barack Obama and some prominent conservatives "a massive social experiment in criminal leniency."
- For second time, House OKs bill targeting Iran nuclear deal Updated: Feb-02-16 6:21 pm
WASHINGTON - The House approved for the second time in three weeks a Republican-led bill targeting the landmark nuclear agreement with Iran.
- Puerto Rico seeks bond swap in proposed restructuring deal Updated: Feb-01-16 6:29 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico's government is pushing a bond swap with creditors to help generate revenue as U.S. legislators prepare to consider creating an oversight authority to help pull the island out of a deepening economic crisis.
- Tennessee GOP Rep. Fincher to retire Updated: Feb-01-16 4:29 pm
WASHINGTON - Tennessee GOP Rep. Stephen Fincher announced Monday that he will retire from Congress at the end of his term.
- Pentagon defends use of Russian engines to launch satellites Updated: Jan-27-16 4:22 pm
WASHINGTON - Senior Pentagon officials on Wednesday sought to defend the use of Russian-made rocket engines to send U.S. military satellites into space, telling exasperated lawmakers they are moving quickly to end the practice and rely on American-made rockets for the launches.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: Time and Speaker Ryan waits for no one Updated: Jan-13-16 2:39 pm
WASHINGTON - Time waits for no one. And neither does House Speaker Paul Ryan.
- Congress votes to scrap new rules to protect smaller waters Updated: Jan-13-16 1:41 pm
WASHINGTON - Despite a threatened presidential veto, Congress has voted to scrap new federal rules intended to protect smaller streams, tributaries and wetlands from development and pollution.