- North Korea readies massive anniversary celebration Updated: Oct-09-15 12:37 pm
PYONGYANG, North Korea - North Korea is holding what is expected to be one of its biggest celebrations ever Saturday for the 70th anniversary of its ruling party's creation, an attention-getting event that is the government's way of showing the world and its own people the Kim dynasty - now in its third generation - is firmly in control and its military a power to be reckoned with.
- North Korea gears up for lavish anniversary celebration Updated: Oct-08-15 8:36 pm
PYONGYANG, North Korea - With the international media, foreign guests and ethnic Koreans from around the region descending on their capital, North Koreans are being mobilized en masse to put the finishing touches on one of the few things their country wants the whole world to see - a lavish celebration and military parade to mark the 70th anniversary of the nation's ruling party.
- Satellite images show scale of NKorea's anniversary parade Updated: Oct-08-15 5:39 pm
WASHINGTON - Satellite imagery shows North Korea has erected a tented city and mobilized hundreds of trucks and armored vehicles in preparation for a massive military parade marking the 70th anniversary of the ruling party.
- As Pyongyang readies grand show, rural life still a struggle Updated: Oct-06-15 11:47 pm
PYONGYANG, North Korea - While North Korea prepares a big show to mark the 70th anniversary of the ruling Workers' Party, the daily struggles of life outside the capital - such as finding clean running water and putting nutritious food on the table year-round - pose a harsh, but largely unseen, contrast to the grand celebrations the world will see Oct. 10.
- Odd partnership: Ties warm between India and North Korea Updated: Sep-26-15 2:05 am
NEW DELHI - It's not the most obvious international friendship. On one side is the world's largest democracy, with its riotous collection of battling political parties and a freewheeling media with thousands of newspapers, TV stations and websites. On the other is a deeply isolated nation, a country with no political opposition and a media that does not question the long-ruling family. Access to the Internet, except for a handful of government-approved websites, is restricted to a tiny elite.
- With a rocket's red glare? N. Korea gears up for major fete Updated: Sep-16-15 10:41 pm
PYONGYANG, North Korea - China just put on a big military parade, a few months after Russia did the same. But there's no country more adept at putting on elaborate, massive displays of state power than North Korea, the undisputed goose-stepping capital of the world, and next month, Pyongyang will stage what is likely to be its biggest celebration in years.
- NKorea warns it has restarted all nuclear bomb fuel plants Updated: Sep-15-15 3:40 pm
PYONGYANG, North Korea - With a big anniversary drawing near, North Korea declared Tuesday it has upgraded and restarted all of its atomic fuel plants - meaning it could possibly make more, and more sophisticated, nuclear weapons.
- North Korean kids join Russian class to promote friendship Updated: Sep-11-15 3:46 pm
KHABAROVSK, Russia - Inside a fourth-grade classroom in Russia's Far East, there is something unusual among the standard collection of posters, books and backpacks: Portraits of two former North Korean leaders hang side-by-side with a picture of Russian President Vladimir Putin.