- Japan's secret navy bunker gives glimpse of war's final days Updated: Jun-24-15 11:27 am
YOKOHAMA, Japan - On a hillside overlooking an athletic field where high school students play volleyball, an inconspicuous entrance leads down a dusty, slippery slope - and seemingly back in time - to Japan's secret Imperial Navy headquarters in the final months of World War II.
- Japan navy drill in South China Sea may lead to larger role Updated: Jun-23-15 9:00 am
PUERTO PRINCESA, Philippines - A tiny military exercise in the Philippines this week may presage something much bigger: the entry of Japan into the tussle for control of the South China Sea.
- Constitutional questions grow over Japan PM's military plans Updated: Jun-10-15 10:23 am
TOKYO - Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's pledge to the U.S. to increase Japan's military contribution internationally is facing more questions about potential conflicts with the nation's pacifist Constitution.
- Philippines wants defense pact for Japanese troops Updated: Jun-05-15 6:19 am
TOKYO - Philippine President Benigno Aquino III said Friday he wants to start talks to allow Japanese troops into his Southeast Asian country, as both nations try to build up their defenses at a time of tense territorial disputes with China.
- Japan, Philippines to talk about transfer of military goods Updated: Jun-04-15 11:09 am
TOKYO - Japan and the Philippines agreed Thursday to start talks on transferring Japanese military hardware and technology to the Southeast Asian country trying to upgrade its defenses.