- Chinese war veterans protest over missing benefits Updated: Jun-25-15 1:28 am
BEIJING - Disgruntled Chinese military veterans converged on Beijing this week in a protest over what they say is the government's failure to make good on promised pensions, medical insurance and other benefits.
- Japan navy drill in South China Sea may lead to larger role Updated: Jun-23-15 9:00 am
PUERTO PRINCESA, Philippines - A tiny military exercise in the Philippines this week may presage something much bigger: the entry of Japan into the tussle for control of the South China Sea.
- China mum on foreign invites to military parade Updated: Jun-23-15 12:55 am
BEIJING - Chinese organizers of a parade marking the end of World War II were keeping mum Tuesday over the sensitive question of which foreign countries' militaries had been invited to take part.
- 2 more Chinese officers fall in military anti-graft drive Updated: Jun-16-15 11:43 pm
BEIJING - China's military has referred two ranking officers to prosecutors amid a continuing crackdown on corruption in the armed forces.
- SOUTH CHINA SEA WATCH: US ups pressure with overflights Updated: Jun-06-15 8:19 pm
The dispute over the strategic waterways of the South China Sea has intensified, pitting a rising China against its smaller and militarily weaker neighbors who all lay claim to a string of isles, coral reefs and lagoons known as the Spratly and the Paracel islands. Only about 45 of them are occupied. The area is one of the world's busiest shipping routes, rich in fish and potentially gas and oil reserves, but it has now emerged as a possible flashpoint involving world powers and regional claimants.
- China says hacking claims irresponsible, asks for more trust Updated: Jun-05-15 7:48 am
BEIJING - China responded Friday to allegations it was involved in a hacking attack on U.S. government computers by saying such claims are unproven and irresponsible, and that it wishes the United States would trust it more.