- AP Interview: Qatar's FM urges 'serious dialogue' with Iran Updated: Aug-04-15 12:41 pm
DOHA, Qatar - Qatar's top diplomat on Tuesday called for a "serious dialogue" with Iran in the wake of its nuclear deal with world powers, even as he blasted Tehran for continuing to support Syria's embattled government.
- US begins armed drone flights from Turkey Updated: Aug-03-15 3:51 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. military is expanding its combat role in Syria in defense of coalition-backed rebels, conducting armed drone missions into Syria from an air base in Turkey and imposing new rules allowing the U.S. to defend rebels against attacks from any hostile force, including the Assad government.
- Treasury sanctions Syrian government's energy networks Updated: Aug-03-15 3:29 pm
WASHINGTON - The Treasury Department on Monday targeted 11 companies and individuals suspected of providing energy products the Syrian government of Bashar Assad is using in the conflict there.
- The Latest: Saudi King voices support for Turkey's actions Updated: Jul-28-15 10:36 am
BRUSSELS - The Latest from NATO meeting on Islamic State group and related developments (all times local):
- Turkish troops target Kurdish fighters in northern Syria Updated: Jul-27-15 5:34 am
BEIRUT - Turkish troops have shelled a Syrian village near the border, targeting Kurdish fighters who have been battling the Islamic State group with the aid of U.S.-led airstrikes, Syria's main Kurdish militia and an activist group said Monday.
- Syria opposition groups agree on 'roadmap' to end civil war Updated: Jul-24-15 10:38 am
BRUSSELS - Syria's two main political opposition groups, long at odds, announced Friday that they have agreed on a "roadmap" to end their country's long-running civil war, starting with establishment of a transitional governing body.
- Turkey allows US to use key air base to strike Islamic State Updated: Jul-24-15 12:04 am
WASHINGTON - Turkey has agreed to let the U.S. military launch airstrikes against the Islamic State from a key air base near the Syrian border, senior U.S. officials said Thursday, giving a boost to the U.S.-led coalition while drawing Turkey deeper into the conflict.
- IS militants kill Turkish soldier near Syria border Updated: Jul-23-15 3:53 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Islamic State militants fired at a Turkish military outpost from Syrian territory on Thursday, killing one Turkish soldier and wounding two others, Turkish officials said. Turkish troops retaliated, killing at least one IS militant.
- Bombing shows Turkey a vulnerable target for Islamic State Updated: Jul-21-15 2:09 pm
ISTANBUL - Officials have raised concerns that a deadly bombing in southeastern Turkey is part of a campaign of retaliation by the Islamic State group for a recent crackdown on its operations in the country.
- In Arab world, worries that deal will boost Iran's power Updated: Jul-15-15 6:03 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The nuclear deal with Iran was met with a profound wariness in the Arab world, where concerns are widespread that the easing of its international isolation could tip the already bloody contest for power in the region toward Shiite-led Tehran.