- Fact-finding team heads to Syria to probe toxic chemical use Updated: Jun-02-15 11:36 am
UNITED NATIONS - A fact-finding team with the global chemical weapons watchdog is going to Syria to look into recent allegations of attacks using toxic chemicals.
- Ex-inmates regret destruction of notorious Syrian prison Updated: Jun-01-15 3:12 pm
BEIRUT - For decades, the mere mention of Tadmur Prison was enough to send chills down a Syrian's spine.
- Saudi, Egypt downplay reports of discord over Syria Updated: May-31-15 12:19 pm
CAIRO - Egypt and Saudi Arabia sought Sunday to downplay reports of discord among the close allies over Syria during a visit of the Saudi foreign minister to Cairo.
- Kurdish fighters in Syria on the march against IS militants Updated: May-28-15 3:42 pm
BEIRUT - In contrast to the Iraqi army's failures, Kurdish fighters in Syria are on the march against the Islamic State group, capturing towns and villages in an oil-rich swath of the country's northeast under the cover of U.S.-led airstrikes.
- For an IS fighter, a paid honeymoon in caliphate's heart Updated: May-26-15 3:10 am
BEIRUT - The honeymoon was a brief moment for love, away from the front lines of Syria's war. In the capital of the Islamic State group's self-proclaimed "caliphate," Syrian fighter Abu Bilal al-Homsi was united with his Tunisian bride for the first time after months chatting online. They married, then passed the days dining on grilled meats in Raqqa's restaurants, strolling along the Euphrates River and eating ice cream.
- Syrians try to build case against Assad in chlorine attacks Updated: May-23-15 2:06 am
BEIRUT - With only a cloth mask for protection, Firas Kayali rushed to try to rescue the residents of a house in a village in rebel-held northern Syria after a barrel bomb, suspected to be filled with chlorine gas, hit nearby.
- Mother of US reporter missing in Syria pleads for answers Updated: May-19-15 11:16 am
BEIRUT - The mother of an American journalist missing in Syria for nearly three years pleaded on Tuesday for information about him, saying she believes that he is still alive.
- Obama not drawing new red line on Syria chemical weapons use Updated: May-14-15 6:27 pm
CAMP DAVID, Maryland - President Barack Obama says he is not drawing a new red line on Syrian chemical weapons usage.
- Flag dispute sparks divisions, mistrust in Syria opposition Updated: May-12-15 5:44 pm
BEIRUT - The divisions and mistrust that have long plagued Syria's rebellion against President Bashar Assad erupted once more on Tuesday - this time over the flag.
- Hezbollah leads fight in strategic Syrian mountain range Updated: May-10-15 10:34 am
- Syria rebels cast doubt on US training program Updated: May-08-15 1:40 pm
BEIRUT - Syrian rebels on Friday voiced deep reservations about a U.S. program to train moderate rebels that American and Jordanian officials say has kicked off in Jordan, dismissing it as a drop in the ocean that would not change realities on the ground.
- Turkey, Saudi in pact to help anti-Assad rebels Updated: May-07-15 7:10 pm
ISTANBUL - Casting aside U.S. concerns about aiding extremist groups, Turkey and Saudi Arabia have converged on an aggressive new strategy to bring down Syrian President Bashar Assad.