- Casualties mount from bombardment in Syria's largest city Updated: Apr-28-16 3:32 pm
BEIRUT - Airstrikes and artillery killed more than 60 people in the past 24 hours in Aleppo, including dozens at a hospital in a rebel-held neighborhood, as Syria's largest city was turned once again into a major battleground in the civil war, officials said Thursday.
- The Latest: US says attacks on Syria's Aleppo were 'immoral' Updated: Apr-28-16 3:11 pm
BEIRUT - The Latest on Syria's civil war (all times local):
- American state senator meets with Syrian President Assad Updated: Apr-28-16 2:01 pm
BEIRUT - Syrian President Bashar Assad scored a minor, if bizarre, publicity victory Thursday, receiving a part-time state senator from America at a time when U.S. officials have repeatedly asserted Assad has lost his legitimacy to rule the war-torn country.
- UN envoy appeals to US, Russia to help Syria peace talks Updated: Apr-27-16 11:39 pm
GENEVA - The U.N. envoy for Syria appealed to the U.S. and Russia to intervene to help revive Syrian peace talks that sputtered to a pause Wednesday, saying a recent spike in fighting has overshadowed the talks and put an increasingly feeble truce in "great danger."
- Cruz' ex co-chair in Virginia heads to Syria, praises Assad Updated: Apr-27-16 8:58 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Sen. Ted Cruz's former campaign co-chairman in Virginia has traveled to Syria and promised support for the government of President Bashar Assad, who U.S. officials have repeatedly said has lost the legitimacy to rule the war-torn country.
- Obama boosts Islamic State fight, asks Europe to do the same Updated: Apr-25-16 7:06 pm
HANNOVER, Germany - Evoking history and appealing for solidarity, President Barack Obama on Monday cast his decision to send 250 more troops to Syria as a bid to keep up "momentum" in the campaign to dislodge Islamic State extremists. He pressed European allies to match the U.S. with new contributions of their own.
- The Latest: Obama meeting with European leaders Updated: Apr-25-16 8:51 am
HANNOVER, Germany - The Latest on President Barack Obama's visit to Germany (all times local):
- Administration: Up to 250 military personnel headed to Syria Updated: Apr-24-16 7:11 pm
AERZEN, Germany - President Barack Obama will send an additional 250 military personnel to Syria to help local forces fighting the Islamic State group, increasing to 300 the number of U.S. forces battling extremists in the war-torn country, administration officials confirmed Sunday.
- In Damascus, an uneasy stability boosts Syria's Assad Updated: Apr-23-16 10:49 am
DAMASCUS, Syria - Looking out from the Syrian capital these days, one can understand why President Bashar Assad would be in no hurry to make concessions at peace talks in Geneva, let alone consider stepping down as the opposition demands.
- Aid reaches besieged Syria town amid concerns for truce Updated: Apr-22-16 2:18 am
BEIRUT - The U.N. special envoy for Syria said there was "real but modest" progress in the country's humanitarian situation despite a stumbling cease-fire, as one of the largest international aid convoys made it into a government-besieged opposition stronghold.
- Talks stalled, Syrian opposition to stay in Geneva next week Updated: Apr-22-16 2:00 am
BEIRUT - The Latest on Syria's civil war and peace talks in Geneva (all times local):
- The Latest: Syrians thank pope for bringing them to Italy Updated: Apr-16-16 2:55 pm
MYTILENE, Greece - The Latest on Pope Francis' visit to the Greek island of Lesbos (all times local):
- Syria talks resume, chances seen as very slim amid violence Updated: Apr-16-16 1:49 pm
BEIRUT - Indirect peace talks between Syria's warring parties have resumed in Geneva to the backdrop of escalating violence in the country's north and a refusal by the Syrian government to negotiate a transitional government, a key opposition demand.
- Heartbreak as Syrians briefly return home to IS-free Palmyra Updated: Apr-15-16 1:17 pm
PALMYRA, Syria - When Islamic State fighters overran the ancient Syrian town of Palmyra almost a year ago, Maha Abderrazak was among tens of thousands of terrified civilians who fled west, many escaping with just the clothes on their backs and a few belongings they could carry by hand.
- US, Russia talking 'almost daily' on Syria military actions Updated: Apr-14-16 9:12 pm
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - President Barack Obama's national security adviser says the U.S. now talks "almost daily" with Russia to ensure its military operations in Syria don't clash.
- The Latest: Putin: Russia considers trade for Ukraine pilot Updated: Apr-14-16 9:57 am
MOSCOW - The Latest on Russian President Vladimir Putin's marathon call-in TV show (all times local):
- Obama claims progress on Islamic State amid worrying signs Updated: Apr-13-16 6:56 pm
LANGLEY, Virginia - President Barack Obama claimed progress Wednesday in the U.S.-led fight against the Islamic State group, even as political turmoil in Iraq and renewed violence in Syria threatened to jeopardize hard-fought gains.
- Report: 4 Iranian commandos killed in Syria Updated: Apr-11-16 1:47 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's semi-official Tasnim news agency is reporting that four members of the Iranian Special Forces were killed in Syria while fighting against the Islamic State group.
- Family of US citizen released by Syria is thankful Updated: Apr-10-16 3:14 am
SEATTLE - The Seattle-area family of a U.S. citizen released from captivity by the Syrian government said they were grateful for efforts by the U.S. government over the past three years to secure his freedom.
- US says Syria blocks aid to besieged areas; some eat grass Updated: Apr-05-16 4:29 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The United States accused the Syrian government on Tuesday of preventing humanitarian aid deliveries to all besieged and hard-to-reach areas of the country as required in U.N. resolutions, even as a cease-fire that was meant to allow such deliveries continues.
- US says Iran forces pulling back in Syria; others say no Updated: Apr-04-16 5:09 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is making the case that Iran is drawing down its elite fighting force from Syria in an effort to allay fears that Tehran is using its powerful Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps in Syria to strengthen its influence across the Middle East. Yet the Iranian government said Monday it has dispatched commandos to the war and it is still taking high-ranking casualties.
- Syria's Palmyra: Ghost town bearing scars of IS destruction Updated: Apr-01-16 2:38 pm
PALMYRA, Syria - Explosions rocked the ancient town of Palmyra on Friday and on the horizon, black smoke wafted behind its majestic Roman ruins, as Syrian army experts carefully detonated hundreds of mines they say were planted by Islamic State militants before they fled the town.
- Russian sappers with robots to clear mines in Palmyra Updated: Mar-31-16 10:36 am
MOSCOW - Russian combat engineers arrived Thursday in Syria on a mission to clear mines in the ancient town of Palmyra, which has been recaptured from Islamic State militants in an offensive that has proven Russia's military might in Syria despite a drawdown of its warplanes.