- Germany mulls sending up to 1,200 troops on Syria mission Updated: Nov-30-15 10:03 am
BERLIN - Germany is planning to send up to 1,200 troops to support the international coalition fighting against the Islamic State group in Syria, officials said Monday.
- Israel defense minister says Russian plane breached airspace Updated: Nov-29-15 12:40 pm
JERUSALEM - A Russian jet recently penetrated Israeli airspace but was not shot down thanks to an open communication system between the two countries, Israel's defense minister said Sunday as tensions continued to flare between Ankara and Moscow after Turkish troops downed a Russian warplane.
- Strikes on IS city, focus of international campaign, kill 8 Updated: Nov-27-15 11:30 am
BEIRUT - A new wave of airstrikes targeting the Syrian city of Raqqa, the headquarters of the extremist Islamic State group and the focus of an international military campaign, killed at least eight people, including five children, Syrian opposition groups said Friday.
- The Latest: Russia supports closing of Turkish=Syria border Updated: Nov-27-15 10:20 am
ANKARA, Turkey - The latest developments regarding the war in Syria. All times local.
- Russia, France agree to tighten cooperation against IS Updated: Nov-27-15 12:58 am
MOSCOW - The presidents of France and Russia agreed Thursday to tighten cooperation in the fight against the Islamic State group, although they remained at odds over their approach toward Syrian President Bashar Assad.
- Amid Syria's civil war, a James Bond-style rescue operation Updated: Nov-25-15 2:53 pm
BEIRUT - In the whirlwind of Syria's civil war, two Russian pilots parachuted from their aircraft into a chaotic front-line mountainous region near the border with Turkey after their aircraft was hit by a Turkish F-16 fighter jet.
- Russian crackdown on Muslims fuels exodus to Islamic State Updated: Nov-25-15 6:15 am
KOMSOMOLSKOYE, Russia - Rashid Magomedov had had enough, his father said. The devout Muslim was detained several times by Russian security police, spent two months in jail on charges that later were dismissed, and complained that police repeatedly planted weapons at his home as a pretext to arrest him.
- Obama and Hollande pledge solidarity against Islamic State Updated: Nov-24-15 8:53 pm
WASHINGTON - In a show of Western solidarity, President Barack Obama and French President Francois Hollande vowed Tuesday to escalate airstrikes against the Islamic State and bolster intelligence sharing following the deadly attacks in Paris. They called on Russia to join the international efforts, but only if Moscow ends its support for Syria's embattled president.
- Turkey shoots down Russian jet it says violated its airspace Updated: Nov-24-15 5:41 pm
MOSCOW - Turkey shot down a Russian warplane on Tuesday that it said ignored repeated warnings and crossed into its airspace from Syria, killing at least one of the two pilots in a long-feared escalation in tensions between Russia and NATO. Russian President Vladimir Putin denounced what he called a "stab in the back" and warned of "significant consequences."
- Australia leader talks down prospect of US-led army in Syria Updated: Nov-24-15 5:36 am
CANBERRA, Australia - There is no support among world leaders for the prospect of a U.S.-led army in Iraq and Syria to take back ground from Islamic State militants, Australia's prime minister said Tuesday.
- Russia's Putin in Iran for talks focusing on Syria Updated: Nov-23-15 4:36 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Russia's President Vladimir Putin visited Tehran on Monday for talks with Iranian leaders that focused on the Syrian crisis and an international peace plan intended to end the conflict.
- Kerry: US trying to speed up efforts to defeat Islamic State Updated: Nov-23-15 11:07 am
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates - The United States is seeking new military, counterterrorism and diplomatic ideas to destroy the Islamic State group faster, Secretary of State John Kerry said Monday, acknowledging the difficulty in eliminating extremists who've exploited four years of chaos in the Middle East to become a global threat. He said greater military cooperation with Russia was possible under the right circumstances.
- Obama warns against overreaction to Islamic State attacks Updated: Nov-22-15 12:35 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Trying to reassure a nation on edge, President Barack Obama said Sunday the Islamic State group "cannot strike a mortal blow" against the U.S., and he warned that overreacting to the Paris attacks would play into extremists' hands. "We will destroy this terrorist organization," he vowed.
- Told he must go, Syria's Assad may outlast Obama in office Updated: Nov-22-15 10:50 am
WASHINGTON - Bashar Assad's presidency looks likely to outlast Barack Obama's.
- CAPITOL HILL BUZZ: Forget Assad, focus on IS Updated: Nov-20-15 1:44 pm
WASHINGTON - In an unusual alliance, a House Democrat and Republican have teamed up to urge the Obama administration to stop trying to overthrow Syrian President Bashar Assad and focus all its efforts on destroying Islamic State militants.
- Officials: IS determined to produce chemical weapons Updated: Nov-19-15 11:54 am
BAGHDAD - The Islamic State group is aggressively pursuing development of chemical weapons, setting up a branch dedicated to research and experiments with the help of scientists from Iraq, Syria and elsewhere in the region, according to Iraqi and U.S. intelligence officials.
- Obama: Russia can choose Assad or legitimate Syrian gov't Updated: Nov-19-15 2:22 am
MANILA, Philippines - President Barack Obama says Russia and Iran must decide whether they want to prop up Syrian President Bashar Assad or "save the Syrian state" by finding a Syrian government that can be legitimate.
- Editorial Roundup: Excerpts from recent editorials Updated: Nov-18-15 6:26 pm
Excerpts from recent editorials in newspapers in the United States and abroad:
- With Islamic State targeted, what happens to Syria's Assad? Updated: Nov-18-15 3:17 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The tide of global rage against the Islamic State group lends greater urgency to ending the jihadis' ability to operate at will from a base in war-torn Syria. That momentum could also force a reevaluation of what to do about President Bashar Assad and puts a renewed focus on the position of his key patrons, Russia and Iran.
- Narrowing rift, US and Russia entertain cooperation in Syria Updated: Nov-18-15 7:19 am
MOSCOW - In a striking shift, President Barack Obama and Russian President Vladimir Putin are embarking on a tentative path toward closer ties and possible military cooperation, as the bitter rift over Ukraine gives way to common cause against the Islamic State group.
- The Latest: UN rights chief rejects anti-migrant moves Updated: Nov-16-15 9:58 pm
ATHENS, Greece - The latest news as hundreds of thousands make their way across Europe in search of safety and a better life. All times local.
- Syria's civil war now Europe's war after Paris attacks Updated: Nov-16-15 12:25 pm
LONDON - What started as a distant civil war in Syria, with rebel factions challenging the authoritarian government of President Bashar Assad, has become Europe's war, with no easy end in sight.
- Diplomats set plan for political change in Syria Updated: Nov-15-15 12:39 am
VIENNA - Invoking the need for joint action after the attacks in Paris, foreign ministers of nearly 20 nations agreed Saturday to an ambitious yet incomplete plan for bringing peace to Syria and ending its role as a breeding ground for ISIS and other radical Islamic groups.
- Kerry begins meetings in Vienna ahead of Syria talks Updated: Nov-13-15 4:51 pm
VIENNA - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry kicked off meetings in Vienna on Friday ahead of a critical new round of international diplomatic talks on the crisis in Syria.
- Global push for end to Syria war seen as most serious yet Updated: Nov-12-15 12:39 am
BEIRUT - The international community is mounting its most serious effort yet to end the nearly 5-year-old Syrian war, rallying around a second round of talks in Vienna this weekend amid the emergence of a Russian proposal that calls for early elections.