- Springfield officer named Air National Guard commander Updated: Sep-03-15 4:32 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner has appointed a new commander of the Illinois Air National Guard.
- SC Guard, sheriff's office conduct Greenville exercise Updated: Sep-03-15 6:13 am
GREENVILLE, South Carolina - Residents in Greenville are being warned that the South Carolina National Guard and the Greenville County Sheriff's Office are cooperating in a mock "active shooter" exercise.
- Indiana National Guard to house special forces unit Updated: Sep-03-15 3:58 am
INDIANAPOLIS - A National Guard special forces unit now stationed in Chicago is moving to Indiana next year.
- Ukrainian kids go to military camp Updated: Aug-31-15 12:06 pm
STARE, Ukraine - More than 100 Ukrainian schoolchildren will have unusual tales to tell their mates when classes resume, after spending part of their summer vacations undergoing training by the National Guard.
- Army, Air Guard offer simulators to NY State Fair visitors Updated: Aug-30-15 7:07 am
SYRACUSE, New York - Visitors to the New York State Fair will be able to get a feel for what it's like to drive an armored military vehicle and control a remotely piloted aircraft.
- SD National Guard members visit Suriname to meet officials Updated: Aug-28-15 2:29 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - South Dakota National Guard members recently traveled to the South American country of Suriname (SUR'-ih-nahm) to share with officials ways in which military personnel can help during disaster relief efforts.
- School leaders OK property trade with Iowa National Guard Updated: Aug-27-15 4:32 pm
DAVENPORT, Iowa - Leaders of the Davenport school district have approved a property trade that provides the Iowa National Guard with the necessary land for a planned $24 million readiness center.
- Nebraska National Guard leaving HQ in test of disaster plan Updated: Aug-27-15 8:28 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska National Guard officials say they're leaving their Lincoln headquarters as part of a disaster exercise that will continue through Sunday.
- Rauner promotes adjutant general, names his assistant Updated: Aug-25-15 5:13 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner has promoted National Guard Adjutant General Richard J. Hayes Jr. to major general and appointed Brig. Gen. Michael Zerbonia to the guard's assistant adjutant general post.
- Afghan war vet to be senior enlisted advisor for NY Guard Updated: Aug-23-15 9:37 am
ALBANY, New York - The New York Army National Guard is getting a new senior enlisted advisor.
- 100 National Guardsmen returning from Afghanistan Updated: Aug-23-15 5:17 am
BALTIMORE - The Maryland National Guard is welcoming home about 100 citizen-soldiers from a yearlong deployment to Afghanistan.
- The National Guard and Katrina: Exhibit to open Updated: Aug-22-15 2:50 pm
JACKSON BARRACKS, Louisiana - The Louisiana National Guard is highlighting the military's contributions during the catastrophic days of Hurricane Katrina with an exhibit that contains a search-and-rescue UH-1 helicopter, soldiers' personal artifacts and a tattered U.S. flag that made it through the storm on a flagpole in front of City Hall in New Orleans.
- Indiana enlists NRA to train Guard on firearms Updated: Aug-21-15 4:35 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The National Rifle Association has been instructing Indiana's National Guard members on how to use concealed weapons after Republican Gov. Mike Pence directed the state's military bases and training centers to beef up security in response to recent attacks in Tennessee.
- Maine National Guard getting new headquarters in Augusta Updated: Aug-20-15 3:37 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - The Maine National Guard is celebrating the beginning of construction of its new Joint Forces headquarters in Augusta.
- National Guard soldier getting NY's highest military award Updated: Aug-19-15 7:41 am
FARMINGDALE, New York - A member of the Army National Guard is being awarded New York state's highest military award for heroism for coming to the aid of two teenagers who were shot on a Syracuse street last fall.
- New NC law lets Guard members have concealed carry on duty Updated: Aug-18-15 7:01 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A bill allowing some North Carolina National Guard members to carry concealed handguns while on duty is now law.
- Haley order calls for armed security at Guard facilities Updated: Aug-17-15 8:14 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Gov. Nikki Haley has signed an executive order to put armed members of the South Carolina National Guard on guard at the branch's recruiting centers.
- Florida National Guard reopens centers; Guardsmen armed Updated: Aug-17-15 4:56 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - The Florida National Guard has reopened the state's six storefront recruitment centers nearly a month after Gov. Rick Scott ordered recruiters to relocate to armories after a Tennessee shooting.
- Official: New C-130H mission changes Air National Guard wing Updated: Aug-17-15 3:32 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - An Arkansas Air National Guard official said a new mission to train more crew members on the C-130H aircraft has "completely changed" how the 189th Airlift Wing operates.
- Brigade receives new commander in Jackson ceremony Updated: Aug-17-15 5:06 am
JACKSON, Tennessee - The Tennessee National Guard's 194th Engineer Brigade has a new commander.
- New Jersey National Guard troops return home Updated: Aug-13-15 8:38 am
JERSEY CITY, New Jersey - Some citizen soldiers are returning home to New Jersey.
- Clarification: LePage-Drugs story Updated: Aug-12-15 9:43 am
BANGOR, Maine - In a story Aug. 11 about Gov. Paul LePage saying he might use the National Guard to combat Maine's drug epidemic, The Associated Press reported that lawmakers had rejected his proposals to hire more drug agents. Lawmakers approved funding last session for six additional state drug agents, two judges and two drug prosecutors to handle major drug crimes. LePage's proposed budget last session called for seven additional drug agents, four district attorneys and four judges.
- NY National Guardsman charged after fatal crash in Albany Updated: Aug-11-15 5:46 am
ALBANY, New York - Police say a National Guardsman is facing charges in connection with an accident in Albany last month that left one woman dead.
- National Guard, police to train in Portland, Maine Updated: Aug-10-15 4:10 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - The Maine National Guard and Portland Police Department are conducting a joint training exercise in Maine's largest city.
- As costs rise, North Carolina Guard may close aging armories Updated: Aug-08-15 11:30 am
SMITHFIELD, North Carolina - Historical photographs of Smithfield's National Guard armory depict the pomp of a 1965 gala held to celebrate the centennial of the Battle of Bentonville: couples pausing for photographs in Civil-War era fashion, while powerful-looking men in tuxedos schmooze with North Carolina's "country lawyer" Sen. Sam Ervin.