- House backs bill to ease calorie labeling requirements Updated: Feb-12-16 5:54 pm
WASHINGTON - Fast-food chains would get some relief from government rules on listing calories for things like bacon-wrapped deep dish pizza or double cheeseburgers under legislation the House approved on Friday.
- Senate confirms nominees for State posts and ambassadorships Updated: Feb-12-16 1:14 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate confirmed on Friday six of President Barack Obama's nominees for ambassadorships and senior positions at the State Department after GOP presidential candidate Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas ended his opposition.
- Hawaii bill would ban growing genetically engineered fish Updated: Feb-10-16 7:00 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii lawmakers say they don't want genetically engineered fish grown in the islands.
- Editorials from around New England Updated: Feb-06-16 1:17 pm
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New England newspapers:
- Report: It's ethical to test embryos from DNA of 3 people Updated: Feb-03-16 4:02 pm
WASHINGTON - It's ethical to test a provocative new fertility technique that would prevent mothers from passing on rare but devastating diseases by creating embryos from the DNA of three people - dad, mom and an egg donor - advisers to the government said Wednesday.
- FDA OKs Merck hepatitis C drug, adding to patient choices Updated: Jan-28-16 7:32 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Patients with hepatitis C have yet another advanced treatment option, as the Food and Drug Administration on Thursday approved a new once-a-day pill developed by drugmaker Merck.
- China busts 35 restaurants using opium poppies as seasoning Updated: Jan-21-16 11:46 pm
BEIJING - China's Food and Drug Administration says it found opium poppies used as illegal seasoning in 35 restaurants across the country, including a popular Beijing hot pot chain.
- Court overturns tobacco company victory over FDA on menthols Updated: Jan-15-16 2:41 pm
WASHINGTON - A federal appeals court has ruled that tobacco companies had no basis to challenge a Food and Drug Administration report on menthol cigarettes, which the industry alleged was written by experts with conflicts of interest.