- The Latest: Trump: Christie, Carson could be on VP panel Updated: May-04-16 6:25 pm
WASHINGTON - The Latest on the 2016 presidential campaign (all times EDT):
- Obama announces new steps to curb gun violence Updated: Apr-29-16 6:03 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama announced new steps Friday to help curb gun violence, including by identifying the requirements that "smart guns" would have to meet for law enforcement agencies to buy and use them as well as sharing mental health records with the federal background check system.
- House backs bill to use testimonials to combat terrorism Updated: Apr-26-16 7:37 pm
WASHINGTON - The House passed a bill Tuesday requiring the Department of Homeland Security to use testimonials from former extremists and other social media messages to combat "Hollywood-style propaganda" used by the Islamic State and other militant groups to recruit new members.
- AP Exclusive: Color index for US border security is rejected Updated: Apr-22-16 11:27 pm
SAN DIEGO - Five years ago, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security dropped its color-coded terror threat index developed after the 9/11 attacks amid widespread confusion and ridicule. So what did it do when tasked by Secretary Jeh Johnson in 2014 with measuring security along the country's borders?
- New Jersey man reprieved from Northern Ireland deportation Updated: Apr-22-16 12:58 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Officials say a New Jersey man who fled Northern Ireland decades ago after serving prison time and was facing deportation has been granted a reprieve.
- Advocates in 2 states act to improve treatment of immigrants Updated: Apr-06-16 6:52 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Advocates took action on two fronts Wednesday to push for better treatment of immigrants in federal custody, claiming they are having their belongings taken by U.S. agents and are languishing behind bars because of unfair bond conditions set by judges and others.