- Officials: Keys lighthouse migrants should return to Cuba Updated: May-26-16 7:40 pm
MIAMI - Federal officials say a group of Cuban migrants who climbed onto a lighthouse several miles off the Florida Keys should be returned to Cuba.
- Navy: 2 fighter jets crash off NC coast; 4 hospitalized Updated: May-26-16 5:28 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Two Navy jet fighters crashed off the coast of North Carolina during a training mission Thursday, and their four crew members were airlifted to a hospital with minor injuries after being plucked out of the Atlantic Ocean by a commercial fishing vessel and Coast Guard rescuers, officials said.
- The Latest: Navy says planes involved in 'in-flight mishap' Updated: May-26-16 3:32 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The Latest on the crash of two Navy fighter jets off the coast of North Carolina (all times local):
- Man threatened with hefty fines for American flag display Updated: May-26-16 4:51 am
CUMMING, Georgia - A Forsyth County man whose son serves in the U.S. Coast Guard is upset after he says his homeowners association forced him to stop displaying American flags on his property or else face hefty fines.
- Lawsuit: Cubans who scaled Keys lighthouse should stay in US Updated: May-25-16 5:48 pm
MIAMI - A group of migrants who fled Cuba in a homemade boat and climbed onto a 136-year-old lighthouse off the Florida Keys should be allowed to stay in the U.S., according to a federal lawsuit filed on their behalf.
- Feds: Company hasn't done enough to end slow-motion oil leak Updated: May-25-16 12:17 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The Justice Department is urging a federal court to let government regulators decide if a New Orleans company has done enough to end an oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico that began nearly 12 years ago and could last another century.
- 'SOS' in the sand leads to hikers stranded on Hawaii beach Updated: May-24-16 10:57 pm
KAPAA, Hawaii - The Coast Guard says "SOS" scrawled on the sand led rescuers to two hikers who were stranded overnight on Kauai's Na Pali Coast.
- Captain of El Faro sister ship: Master had solid storm plan Updated: May-24-16 2:39 pm
JACKSONVILLE, Florida - The captain of the sunken freighter El Faro's sister vessel says he believes the master of the doomed ship had a "solid plan" to deal with a hurricane that had sprung up quickly.
- Body of missing boater found near Murrells Inlet Updated: May-24-16 1:25 pm
MURRELLS INLET, South Carolina - Crews have recovered the body of a boater missing in the Waccamaw River in Murrells Inlet.
- House measure supports shippers on ballast water dumping Updated: May-24-16 11:56 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - A plan gaining support in Congress and backed by the cargo shipping industry would establish a nationwide policy for dumping ballast water into U.S. waterways that environmental groups say would open the door to more invasive species like zebra and quagga mussels, which have wreaked economic havoc from the Great Lakes to the West Coast.
- Florida crews search Gulf of Mexico for missing boater Updated: May-24-16 11:08 am
CEDAR KEY, Florida - A search continues for a Maryland man whose boat capsized in the Gulf of Mexico off Cedar Key, Florida.
- 9 new patrol boats for police, other agencies in NY state Updated: May-24-16 5:49 am
ALBANY, New York - New patrol boats will be hitting the water from western New York to Long Island.
- Winners announced in Michigan APME newspaper contest Updated: May-22-16 2:12 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Newspapers in Detroit, Flint and Greenville were named the best in the state Sunday in the annual Michigan Associated Press Media Editors newspaper competition.
- Coast Guard: Good Samaritan rescues 4 from sinking boat Updated: May-22-16 12:55 am
BOSTON - The Coast Guard says a good Samaritan responded to its call for assistance and rescued four people from a sinking boat off Salisbury Beach.
- Coast Guard searches for missing kayaker in York River Updated: May-21-16 4:57 pm
BELLEVIEW, Virginia - The Coast Guard says crews are searching the York River near Belleview after someone reported seeing a kayak with one person aboard capsize north of York River State Park.
- Coast Guard rescues capsized kayaker near Oak Island Updated: May-21-16 4:38 pm
WILMINGTON, North Carolina - The Coast Guard says a 38-year-old Monroe man was rescued after his kayak overturned near Oak Island.
- Search on for Maryland boater missing off Florida coast Updated: May-21-16 10:20 am
CEDAR KEY, Florida - Coast Guard officials have rescued two boaters and are searching for a third after their boat capsized off the coast of Cedar Key.
- Coast Guard: Cuban migrants come down from lighthouse Updated: May-20-16 7:00 pm
KEY WEST, Florida - The U.S. Coast Guard says 19 Cuban migrants have come down from an iron lighthouse off the Florida Keys.
- Atlantic City Coast Guard station gets new commander Updated: May-20-16 3:57 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - The Coast Guard's Atlantic City air station has a new commanding officer.
- Homeland Security secretary touts investment in Coast Guard Updated: May-18-16 4:55 pm
NEW LONDON, Connecticut - Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson touted the modernization of the Coast Guard fleet Wednesday in a speech to graduating cadets at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.
- The Latest: Forecaster: Joaquin forecasts contained errors Updated: May-17-16 5:36 pm
JACKSONVILLE, Florida - The Latest on U.S. Coast Guard investigative hearings into the sinking of the El Faro (all times local):
- Juneau man held on murder charges in shooting at rural cabin Updated: May-17-16 4:23 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A 53-year-old Juneau man has been charged with first-degree murder in the shooting death of a man at a remote southeast Alaska cabin.
- Buffalo crews help rescue 4 from 2 vessels on Lake Erie Updated: May-17-16 6:43 am
BUFFALO, New York - The U.S. Coast Guard says its Buffalo-based crews helped rescue four people who were aboard two vessels that sank in rough conditions on Lake Erie.
- Scientists head out to study Shell spill in the Gulf Updated: May-16-16 10:49 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Researchers are heading out to study the effects of a Shell leak of about 88,200 gallons of oil off the Louisiana coast in the Gulf of Mexico, a scientist said on Monday.
- Coast Guard rescues French sailor off New Jersey coast Updated: May-16-16 6:07 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - A French sailor attempting to travel solo from New York to the United Kingdom has been rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard after his sailboat began sinking off the southern New Jersey coast.