- Afghan official: Taliban attack troops, 3 civilians killed Updated: Oct-09-15 10:00 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - An Afghan official says three civilians were killed and four wounded after they were caught in the crossfire of a Taliban attack on troops south of the capital.
- Donald Trump says Bowe Bergdahl should have been executed Updated: Oct-09-15 7:43 am
LAS VEGAS - Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump said Thursday that Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl should have been executed for leaving his post in Afghanistan.
- NATO leaves door open for troops to remain in Afghanistan Updated: Oct-08-15 5:45 pm
BRUSSELS - Urged on by the United States, NATO is open to keeping more troops in Afghanistan than initially planned after 2016, but officials said Thursday the alliance is waiting for the Obama administration to announce its decision on a larger military presence there.
- US general: Most Taliban open to peace talks in Afghanistan Updated: Oct-08-15 12:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan on Thursday estimated that more than half of Taliban insurgents could be open to peace talks with the Afghan government, but that negotiations probably won't resume for months.
- Obama apologizes to aid group for US attack on Afghan clinic Updated: Oct-07-15 4:38 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama apologized to Doctors Without Borders on Wednesday for the American air attack that killed at least 22 people at its hospital in Afghanistan, and said the U.S. would examine military procedures to look for better ways to prevent such incidents.
- Multiple US breakdowns may have led to mistaken attack Updated: Oct-07-15 3:54 pm
WASHINGTON - Investigators of the deadly U.S. air attack on a hospital in Afghanistan are focusing not only on how it unfolded but also on whether the decision to open fire broke the military's own rules for when to use force, officials say. Multiple U.S. breakdowns may have led to the aerial pummeling.
- Did US strike on Afghan clinic exceed combat authority? Updated: Oct-07-15 9:49 am
WASHINGTON - The U.S. airstrike on a hospital in Afghanistan, which U.S. officials have called a "mistake," may have exceeded the rules American forces have operated under since their combat mission ended nearly a year ago, officials say.
- The Latest: Moon condemns deadly Kunduz hospital bombing Updated: Oct-03-15 3:48 pm
KABUL, Afghanistan - The latest developments from Afghanistan, where the international charity Doctors Without Borders says that at least 19 people were killed when its clinic came under "sustained bombing" as government and international forces continue to battle Taliban fighters in the northern city of Kunduz (all times local):
- AP News in Brief at 9:58 p.m. EDT Updated: Oct-01-15 11:00 pm
Gunman opens fire at Oregon community college before dying in shootout; at least 9 dead
- The Latest: Afghan president says Kunduz fully recaptured Updated: Oct-01-15 11:53 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - The latest developments as the Afghan government announced it has retaken control of the northern city of Kunduz, which was captured by the Taliban earlier this week (all times local).
- US pitches investors on Afghan airfields as drawdown looms Updated: Sep-30-15 7:34 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - U.S. and Afghan officials pitched investors Wednesday on doing business on military airfields that NATO troops will withdraw from in Afghanistan, even as the Taliban insurgency rages on in the country.
- Kabul rejects claim that Afghanistan behind Peshawar attack Updated: Sep-19-15 3:23 pm
KABUL, Afghanistan - The Afghan government on Saturday rejected Pakistan's claim that a militant attack on a military base near Peshawar was planned and controlled from Afghanistan.
- The Latest: Bergdahl hearing ends; atty calls it 1-day AWOL Updated: Sep-18-15 4:57 pm
SAN ANTONIO - The latest on the hearing to determine if Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl should face a court-martial on desertion and other charges for leaving his post in Afghanistan six years ago. All times are local.
- UN: Taliban dispute wouldn't keep peace talks from resuming Updated: Sep-17-15 2:39 pm