- Northeast Ohio counties are deer crash 'hot spots' Updated: Oct-03-15 7:01 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Motorists in Stark and Lorain counties in northeast Ohio might want to be extra vigilant now that it's the season for deer to become more active.
- News Guide: Ohioans to decide how to redraw political maps Updated: Oct-03-15 2:05 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A fall ballot proposal seeks to overhaul how Ohio draws its legislative districts after state lawmakers struck a bipartisan deal to change the process.
- Ohio attorney general rejects medical marijuana initiative Updated: Oct-02-15 4:44 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine has again rejected a petition for a proposed constitutional amendment to legalize marijuana for medical use, faulting the summary of the petition language.
- Authorities: 1 dead in fatal farm vehicle crash Updated: Oct-02-15 3:28 am
MONTPELIER, Ohio - Authorities say a 28-year-old man is dead after his car crashed into a farm vehicle in northwest Ohio.
- Correction: Criminal Records-Hiring story Updated: Oct-01-15 5:36 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - In a story Sept. 30 about criminal background checks, The Associated Press erroneously reported details of a bill approved by the Ohio House. The bill would prohibit a public employer from asking about an applicant's criminal history on an application, not prohibit public employers from inquiring about an applicant's criminal history until the person has been selected for the position and an offer is about to be made. The bill also would not require public employers to consider several factors before rejecting applicants because of their criminal histories.
- Ohio report on fracking tax misses deadline, work continues Updated: Oct-01-15 12:49 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A group studying Ohio's oil-and-gas severance tax will miss a state budget-imposed deadline for releasing its report even after the state Senate president initially called it a "hard deadline" and told reporters it was likely coming this week.
- Ohio high court accepts condemned killer's DNA test appeal Updated: Oct-01-15 11:41 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio Supreme Court has agreed to hear an appeal involving a death row inmate who sought DNA testing on a cigarette butt found near the scene of the 1990 double murder that led to his sentence.
- Ohio bill would let schools, camps stock asthma inhalers Updated: Oct-01-15 6:45 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - An Ohio bill would let schools and camps keep a supply of asthma inhalers not prescribed to specific patients in case of emergencies.
- Ohio charter school reform bill heads into compromise talks Updated: Oct-01-15 6:43 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - State lawmakers have sent legislation overhauling Ohio charter school laws into compromise talks.
- Panel seeks to extend freeze on Ohio green energy targets Updated: Sep-30-15 5:19 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Government requirements for the use of solar, wind and other forms of renewable energy by Ohio power companies would be suspended indefinitely under recommendations released Wednesday by a legislative panel.
- Ohio lawmakers debate fix on small business tax in budget Updated: Sep-30-15 11:07 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio lawmakers are continuing to work on a fix to a budget provision that imposes an unintended tax increase on some small businesses.
- Bill to let patients get STD meds for partners clears panel Updated: Sep-30-15 10:04 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - An Ohio Senate committee has cleared a bill that seeks to expand access to treatment for certain sexually transmitted diseases by allowing doctors to prescribe medication to their patients' partners without first examining them.
- Bill would let Ohioans with drug convictions keep license Updated: Sep-30-15 3:46 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio Senate is beginning consideration of a bill that would give judges the option of suspending a driver's license for someone convicted of a drug charge instead of the suspension being mandatory.
- Ohio GOP legislator to seek Speaker Boehner's House seat Updated: Sep-29-15 1:06 pm
TIPP CITY, Ohio - A western Ohio Republican state legislator says he's running for the U.S. House seat being vacated by Speaker John Boehner (BAY'-nur).
- Ohio Senate considers statewide ride-sharing regulations Updated: Sep-29-15 12:27 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio Senate is considering a bill that would create one set of statewide regulations for ride-sharing services such as Uber and Lyft.
- Correction: Lawmaker-Burglary Case story Updated: Sep-29-15 11:45 am
PORT CLINTON, Ohio - In a story Sept. 28 about the appointment of a new lawmaker, The Associated Press erroneously reported who made the decision. It was Republicans in the Ohio House, not the U.S. House.
- Bill would make it harder for government to seize assets Updated: Sep-29-15 11:20 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A newly proposed bill would make it harder for Ohio authorities to seize assets like cash or vehicles if the owners aren't involved in criminal activity.
- I-75 south overnight shutdowns planned in southwest Ohio Updated: Sep-29-15 11:18 am
CINCINNATI - Overnight shutdowns of southbound Interstate 75 near downtown Cincinnati are planned this week for ongoing construction work.
- Boehner's decision to leave the House surprises constituents Updated: Sep-26-15 2:54 am
WEST CHESTER, Ohio - People in the Ohio district that House Speaker John Boehner has represented for decades are stunned by his decision to step down, nearly 35 years after he first won election there as township trustee.
- Kasich has role of setting election to fill Boehner vacancy Updated: Sep-25-15 5:26 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - It will be up to Republican Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) to call a special election to fill the Ohio congressional seat being vacated by House Speaker John Boehner (BAY'-nur).
- Court orders anti-fracking issue back on Youngstown ballot Updated: Sep-24-15 9:24 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio Supreme Court has ruled that an anti-fracking measure in Youngstown must be put back on fall ballots.
- Kasich presidential campaign returning to South Carolina Updated: Sep-24-15 3:35 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) is returning to South Carolina as he tries to gain needed national traction for his 2016 presidential campaign.
- Ohio lawmaker, longtime partner get marriage license Updated: Sep-23-15 4:40 pm
CLEVELAND - An Ohio lawmaker and her longtime partner are finally getting married after waiting 21 years.
- Ohio Senate proposal would end funds to Planned Parenthood Updated: Sep-23-15 4:24 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The leader of the Ohio Senate has introduced a bill that would divert government funding from Planned Parenthood.
- Measure in Ohio Senate defends Wright brothers' 1st flight Updated: Sep-23-15 1:57 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A resolution repudiating Connecticut's claim that another aviator beat the Wright brothers as first in flight has gotten its initial airing in the Ohio Senate.