- Kansas gun dealer to pay $132K to woman for selling to felon Updated: Jul-01-15 6:35 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Owners of a southeast Kansas gun shop sued for selling a weapon that a man used to kill himself and his 8-year-old son have reached a $132,000 settlement with the child's mother, according to lawyers in the case.
- Kansas Supreme Court stays lower court's order on school aid Updated: Jun-30-15 7:43 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas' highest court Tuesday put on hold a lower court's order for the state to immediately increase aid to public schools by roughly $50 million but promised to move quickly to decide whether the state is distributing its money fairly.
- Kansas AG dismisses state court case against gay marriage Updated: Jun-30-15 7:29 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt has dismissed a case he filed last year with the state Supreme Court to keep counties from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.
- Kansas officials want school funding ruling put on hold Updated: Jun-29-15 5:44 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas' attorney general on Monday asked the state's highest court to put on hold a lower court's decision ordering roughly $50 million more in aid to public school districts this week.
- US Supreme Court to hear Kansas appeals Updated: Jun-29-15 3:39 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The U.S. Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in three cases in which the Kansas Supreme Court set aside the death penalty for men convicted of capital murder.
- Analysis: Kansas abortion ruling could have sweeping effects Updated: Jun-28-15 12:37 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A judge's decision to block Kansas from banning a common second-trimester abortion procedure eventually could reshape the state's legal climate and intensify conservative Republicans' push to change how the highest court is selected.
- State Supreme Court upholds conviction in wife's arson death Updated: Jun-26-15 2:32 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Supreme Court has upheld the felony murder conviction of a Fort Scott man whose wife died in an arson fire.
- The Latest: Kansas AG says abortion ruling 'unprecedented' Updated: Jun-25-15 9:19 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The latest on Kansas' first-in-the nation ban on a procedure that anti-abortion activists call "dismemberment abortion." (All times local):
- Kansas budget balances, but school funding is 'wild card' Updated: Jun-20-15 11:36 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - A lawsuit over funding for Kansas' public schools threatens to upend the state budget that Republican Gov. Sam Brownback and the GOP-dominated Legislature struggled to balance - and pass - with higher sales and cigarette taxes.
- Kansas Supreme Court overturns DNA testing denial Updated: Jun-19-15 4:43 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The Kansas Supreme Court on Friday overturned a lower court's denial of a man's request to conduct DNA testing on crime scene evidence gathered after his wife's fatal beating in 1992.
- Kansas Supreme Court upholds conviction in daycare death Updated: Jun-19-15 3:09 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Supreme Court has upheld the involuntary manslaughter conviction of a daycare provider in the 2007 accidental death of an infant.
- Kansas high court holds for student injured in crash Updated: Jun-12-15 1:39 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Supreme Court has ruled that an insurance company should cover a student who was in a private vehicle when he was injured in a crash on the way to a soccer match.
- Court dismisses union's lawsuit over Kansas law on tenure Updated: Jun-09-15 12:42 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A lawsuit filed by the state's largest teachers' union over a Kansas law that ended guaranteed tenure for public school teachers has been dismissed by the Shawnee County District Court.
- Kansas court opposes lifetime parole for juvenile offender Updated: Jun-07-15 6:19 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Supreme Court has ruled that lifetime parole for a juvenile convicted of aggravated indecent liberties with a child violates the Constitution.