- Democrat to run in Virginia's 6th Congressional District Updated: May-05-16 6:12 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - A Democrat from Front Royal is planning to run for Congress in a seat currently held by U.S. Rep. Bob Goodlatte.
- House bill would curb regulation of e-cigarettes, cigars Updated: May-05-16 3:49 am
WASHINGTON - Vape away.
- Rep. Scott ends campaign for Congress due to health reasons Updated: May-05-16 3:11 am
EVERETT, Washington - Republican state Rep. Elizabeth Scott of Monroe has announced she's ending her campaign for the 1st Congressional District.
- Abortion bills rile House Democrats at end of session Updated: May-05-16 2:44 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - As the Alabama legislature on Wednesday reached the close of its session, tempers flared in the House of Representatives over a pair of abortion bills.
- Fantasy gaming bill wins 'Shroud Award' Updated: May-05-16 1:56 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Lawmakers have given the "Shroud Award" for the "deadest" bill of the legislative session to a bid to regulate and legalize fantasy sports.
- Gov. Bentley's prison plan fails on session's final day Updated: May-05-16 1:54 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley's massive prison construction proposal - the centerpiece of the embattled governor's 2016 agenda - failed late Wednesday night in the final minutes of the legislative session.
- The Latest: Prison bill fails on session's final night Updated: May-05-16 1:08 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Latest on Gov. Robert Bentley's prison construction bill (all times local):
- Alabama passes bill to close abortion clinics near schools Updated: May-05-16 12:51 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - At least one Alabama abortion clinic will be forced to move under a bill the state Legislature passed Wednesday.
- Connecticut budget battle goes into extra innings Updated: May-05-16 12:42 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Democratic leaders scrapped plans Wednesday evening to push through an 11th-hour budget deal on the final day of the legislative session, acknowledging there was not enough time to pass the bill before a fast-approaching midnight adjournment.
- The Latest: Connecticut lawmakers return May 12 for vote Updated: May-05-16 12:27 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The Latest on the plans by Connecticut lawmakers to pass a last-minute budget deal for the new fiscal year (all times local):
- Highlights of what passed, failed in legislative session Updated: May-05-16 12:18 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Despite Wednesday's adjournment deadline, Connecticut legislators planned to return, possibly early next week, to vote on a new budget for fiscal year 2017, budget-related bills and Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's criminal justice bill.
- Lawmakers vote to allow coverage of 3-D mammograms Updated: May-04-16 10:47 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut lawmakers have passed legislation that attempts to encourage 3-D breast screening.
- After Hastert, Illinois weighs change to child sex abuse law Updated: May-04-16 9:22 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A state lawmaker and former prosecutor wants to eliminate the statute of limitations on child sex crimes in Illinois, a response to the hush-money case against former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert.
- Bill allowing armed police on campuses moves to governor Updated: May-04-16 8:11 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut lawmakers have given final legislative approval to a bill that ultimately allows the state's community colleges to form special armed police forces to patrol the campuses.
- House backs creation of legal framework for surrogacy births Updated: May-04-16 8:07 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - State senators will consider whether to create a state regulatory framework governing surrogacy births in Louisiana.
- Effort to revive stalled bill with sex ed provisions falters Updated: May-04-16 8:04 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - An effort to revive a stalled education bill that limits who can teach sex education in public schools faltered in the Alaska House on Wednesday.
- The Latest: Lawmakers end Douglas-Board of Education fight Updated: May-04-16 7:47 pm
PHOENIX - The Latest on a bill ending a fight between the state's top school official and the Board of Education (all times local):
- Senate returns $7.5B budget that includes 4 percent raises Updated: May-04-16 7:15 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina Senate has approved a $7.5 billion state budget that puts an additional $300 million into K-12 education, covers the state's expenses from last fall's historic flooding and provides $40 million in grants to flood-devastated farmers.
- North Carolina budget writers agree how much to spend in '17 Updated: May-04-16 7:01 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina Republican legislative leaders have agreed on how much the state should spend next year. It appears to resolve early an issue that tripped up budget negotiations last year and led to a General Assembly session lasting eight months.
- Vermont Senate energy bill in limbo; session close looms Updated: May-04-16 6:52 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The Vermont Senate on Wednesday approved another version of a bill that would give towns more say in renewable energy siting, but the measure may have hit a roadblock in the House.
- Arkansas lawmakers give initial OK to $5.3B state budget Updated: May-04-16 5:26 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas lawmakers gave initial approval to a proposed $5.3 billion state budget for the coming year on Wednesday, along with support for an effort to impose new limits on how welfare benefits can be spent.
- Georgia governor's vetoes on guns, faith bucked his GOP base Updated: May-04-16 4:47 pm
ATLANTA - When Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal recently vetoed bills allowing guns on college campuses and shielding religious people who deny people services based on their faith, he was directly bucking his fellow Republican lawmakers, who overwhelmingly supported the proposals, and possibly losing points with his conservative political base.
- Trump at top of ticket is wild card in Indiana Senate race Updated: May-04-16 4:47 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The race to be Indiana's next U.S. senator would appear to be Rep. Todd Young's to lose after his resounding victory in the Republican primary Tuesday, but the outcome of his faceoff with Democrat Baron Hill in November is no forgone conclusion.
- Bill ending Douglas-Board of Education fight set for vote Updated: May-04-16 3:03 pm
PHOENIX - The Arizona Legislature is poised to settle a yearlong fight between the state's top elected school official and the Board of Education.
- Correction: Interior Secretary-Montana story Updated: May-04-16 2:25 pm
HELENA, Montana - In a story May 3 about Interior Secretary Sally Jewell's visit to Montana, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the Land and Water Conservation Fund historically received $900 million annually. The fund is authorized to receive $900 million annually, but the actual amount varies from year to year.