- Meet the leading Democrats in Nevada's 3rd House District Updated: May-29-16 1:52 pm
LAS VEGAS - Political newcomers are trying to turn a Republican-held southern Nevada swing congressional district back to Democratic hands.
- Despite transparency push, budget talks likely to be private Updated: May-28-16 10:55 am
BOSTON - When a handful of Massachusetts lawmakers convene in the coming weeks to negotiate a final version of the $39.5 billion state budget, they will most likely follow tradition by doing so behind closed doors - notwithstanding the newfound pledges of transparency echoing around Beacon Hill.
- Oklahoma Legislature closes $1.3B gap, finishes 2016 session Updated: May-28-16 10:33 am
OKLAHOMA CITY - Facing a historic $1.3 billion hole in the budget at the start of the year, the state Legislature managed to close the gap through a combination of agency cuts, tax credit reforms, fee increases and the use of one-time funding sources, including bonds.
- Liz Cheney and faces crowded field for open US House seat Updated: May-27-16 5:55 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Liz Cheney, the oldest daughter for former Vice President Dick Cheney, faces a crowded field as she runs for the Wyoming's lone U.S. House seat - a post once held by her father.
- Congress' grade so far? Incomplete at best Updated: May-27-16 4:53 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress is racing toward its summer break, but like a procrastinating college kid it has tons of work to catch up on to avoid a report card laden with grades of incomplete or even worse.
- No fireworks in hearing on Common Core standards rewrite Updated: May-27-16 4:11 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana's use of the Common Core education standards has provoked passionate arguments and lengthy hearings in recent years. But revisions to those English and math standards sparked nothing similar Friday.
- McCrory writes congressional leaders to act on LGBT conflict Updated: May-27-16 3:58 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory wants Congress to clarify U.S. Civil Rights Act protections after President Barack Obama's administration challenged bathroom provisions in the state's new law known as House Bill 2.
- Rubio says he will support Trump, but not campaign with him Updated: May-27-16 3:33 pm
WEST PALM BEACH, Florida - Sen. Marco Rubio says he will be campaigning with Republican candidates to keep GOP control of the House and Senate.
- Bills on drones, gay conversion therapy die in negotiations Updated: May-27-16 2:45 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - An effort to ban the practice of gay conversion therapy for minors is one of the major casualties of a busy week of legislative negotiating.
- Former US Rep. Colleen Hanabusa begins run for Congress Updated: May-26-16 11:08 pm
HONOLULU - Former U.S. Rep. Colleen Hanabusa has begun the process in Hawaii to run for the congressional seat that will be left vacant by U.S. Rep. Mark Takai.
- Fate of automatic tobacco tax hike in Dayton's hands Updated: May-26-16 6:29 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Cigarette smokers in Minnesota would catch a break if Gov. Mark Dayton signs into law a tax package that includes a provision rolling back automatic hikes in the state's tobacco tax.
- CDC urges speed on Zika as House moves to negotiate funding Updated: May-26-16 4:14 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. must act more quickly to protect pregnant women from birth defect-causing Zika, a top health official said Thursday even as the House left town for its Memorial Day recess with no visible progress toward a congressional compromise on emergency funding to battle the virus.
- GOP conservatives scuttle spending bill over gay rights Updated: May-26-16 3:40 pm
WASHINGTON - Angry House conservatives voted down a routine spending bill Thursday in a fight over gay rights, underscoring the passions surrounding a social issue that is dividing the Republican Party and the nation in this election year.
- House passes different income disclosure bill for officials Updated: May-26-16 1:57 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The House has rejected the Senate's changes in a bill that would require lawmakers and other public employees to report their income from private companies.
- Attorney running for Congress as Democrat in Kansas' 4th Updated: May-26-16 12:33 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A 42-year-old Wichita attorney is running for Congress as a Democrat in the 4th Congressional District of south-central Kansas.
- Fight over LGBT rights scuttles energy spending bill Updated: May-26-16 11:22 am
WASHINGTON - A $37 billion bill to fund the Energy Department and water projects has crashed in the House, scuttled by a fight over LGBT rights.
- The Latest: Bill on voting hours heads to Ohio governor Updated: May-25-16 11:08 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Latest on legislative activity at the Ohio Statehouse as lawmakers seek to wrap up work before their summer break (all times local):
- Ohio airport to be named in honor of astronaut John Glenn Updated: May-25-16 10:14 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Astronaut John Glenn is getting an airport named in his honor in his home state of Ohio.
- The Latest: Bill naming John Glenn airport passes in Ohio Updated: May-25-16 10:06 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Latest on legislation naming an Ohio airport for astronaut John Glenn (all times local):
- Trump backed by US Rep. Zinke on eve of Montana rally Updated: May-25-16 6:26 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - Rep. Ryan Zinke on Wednesday became the most prominent Montana Republican to endorse Donald Trump - one day before the presumptive nominee for the Republican presidential nomination arrives to rally supporters in the Treasure State.
- Puerto Rico clears first hurdle with committee vote Updated: May-25-16 6:13 pm
WASHINGTON - A bipartisan deal to help Puerto Rico manage its crippling finances cleared its first hurdle Wednesday with approval from a Republican-led House committee.
- Congressional panel releases critical Cover Oregon report Updated: May-25-16 5:27 pm
SALEM, Oregon - Republicans on a U.S. House committee have found former Gov. John Kitzhaber and a federal agency mishandled the creation of Oregon's health insurance enrollment website, with the Democratic governor's political advisers making decisions based on his re-election campaign.
- The Latest: Senate gives final OK to patient caregiver bill Updated: May-25-16 4:29 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The Latest on a bill aimed at providing more information to patient caregivers (all times local):
- House wading into California's long-running water war Updated: May-25-16 3:54 pm
WASHINGTON - Wading into a longstanding California water war, the House Wednesday endorsed a Republican plan to shift more water to San Joaquin Valley farmers and cut the flow for threatened fish and growers in another part of the state.
- Senate GOP would pay teachers more than House, McCrory Updated: May-25-16 3:28 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina Senate Republicans on Wednesday previewed their plan to pay teachers more than what Gov. Pat McCrory and House members have offered, but didn't provide many details about how they would pay for it.