- Senate Dems have votes to hand Obama victory on Iran deal Updated: Sep-02-15 10:25 am
WASHINGTON - Democratic Sen. Barbara Mikulski of Maryland became the crucial 34th vote in favor the Iran nuclear deal Wednesday, ensuring a landmark victory for President Barack Obama over ferocious opposition from Republicans and the government of Israel.
- Former Senator Gary Hart to defend Iran deal Updated: Sep-02-15 8:31 am
DENVER - Former Colorado Senator Gary Hart is trying to give cover to the state's current senior senator to support the Iran deal.
- Sen. Scott hosting field hearing at Clemson on aging Updated: Sep-02-15 4:04 am
GREENVILLE, South Carolina - U.S. Sen. Tim Scott is bringing a discussion on aging to Clemson University.
- Vice presidential bid something Warren 'not talking about' Updated: Sep-01-15 9:25 pm
BOSTON - U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren says the possibility she would run as a vice presidential candidate in the 2016 election is "something I'm not talking about" and she's happy with her job as senator.
- Senate leader: Not enough votes to defund Planned Parenthood Updated: Sep-01-15 8:16 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate's top Republican is conceding that his party will have to await the next president before it can cut off federal funds that go to Planned Parenthood, prompting heated rebuffs from conservatives.
- Pentagon to survey S. Carolina brig for Guantanamo detainees Updated: Sep-01-15 5:53 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A Pentagon team is coming to South Carolina this week to evaluate whether the Navy brig near Charleston could be suitable to house detainees from the prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, officials said Tuesday.
- Report says ending ban wouldn't hurt consumers at pump Updated: Sep-01-15 5:30 pm
WASHINGTON - Ending the four-decades old restrictions on crude oil exports wouldn't hurt consumers at the gasoline pump, and may even help them, a new government report said Tuesday.
- A look at where Senate Democrats stand on the Iran deal Updated: Sep-01-15 2:31 pm
Congress will vote this month on a resolution to disapprove of the White House-backed nuclear deal struck with Iran by the U.S., Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany. The deal aims to dismantle Iran's nuclear capabilities in exchange for billions in international sanctions relief.
- US Senator Marco Rubio to meet with Oklahoma energy leaders Updated: Aug-31-15 6:12 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida is planning a visit to the Sooner State as he campaigns for the Republican nomination for president.
- Connecticut's 2016 Senate race a quieter contest than past Updated: Aug-31-15 4:20 pm
STAMFORD, Connecticut - A one-time Olympian and political newcomer is the only Republican candidate so far to officially jump into Connecticut's 2016 Senate race, foreshadowing what could be a much different election from a recent string of highly contentious contests that attracted big money and national attention.
- US Sen. Tom Cotton meets with Netanyahu in Israel Updated: Aug-31-15 3:47 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Republican U.S. Sen. Tom Cotton says he talked about the Iran nuclear agreement with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during a weeklong trip to Israel.
- US Sen. Graham speaking to Spartanburg-area Rotary Club Updated: Aug-31-15 4:23 am
SPARTANBURG, South Carolina - U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham is visiting Spartanburg to discuss radical Islam.
- GOP Senate candidates slam Obama, "Washington Republicans" Updated: Aug-29-15 2:01 pm
TAMPA, Florida - They railed against the Obama administration's foreign policy. They scolded "Washington Republicans." And they decried the $18 trillion national debt and the dysfunction of a Congress that cannot get anything done.
- Illinois' Durbin gets a shot at political redemption Updated: Aug-29-15 9:53 am
WASHINGTON - For all its fraught politics and geopolitical import, the Iran nuclear agreement offers something very personal for Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois: a chance at political redemption.
- 3rd congressional committee sets hearing on Colorado mine Updated: Aug-28-15 2:58 pm
DENVER - A third congressional committee plans a hearing on the release of tainted wastewater from a Colorado gold mine that affected three states.
- The Latest: Former President Bush arrives in Mississippi Updated: Aug-28-15 2:14 pm
GULFPORT, Mississippi - The latest on former President George W. Bush's trip to New Orleans and Gulfport, Mississippi, to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina (all times local):
- Things to know: EPA water rules take effect in some states Updated: Aug-28-15 3:21 am
WASHINGTON - New federal rules to protect smaller streams, tributaries and wetlands took effect on Friday - but only in some states.
- Senators: More must be done to prevent future wildfires Updated: Aug-27-15 8:10 pm
SEATTLE - As Washington and other Western states battle huge blazes this summer, two U.S. senators said at a field hearing in Seattle that more needs to be done to prepare for and help prevent future wildfires.
- Pro-Vitter super PAC kicks off $2M TV ad campaign Friday Updated: Aug-27-15 7:24 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The super PAC created to boost David Vitter's candidacy for governor is starting its hefty $2 million advertising blitz a bit unexpectedly, praising the Republican U.S. senator rather than trashing his competitors.
- Trump, Cruz to hold joint event to blast Iran deal Updated: Aug-27-15 5:17 pm
GREENVILLE, South Carolina - GOP presidential candidates Donald Trump and Ted Cruz are expected to headline a Capitol Hill rally against President Obama's proposed nuclear agreement with Iran, both candidates confirmed Thursday.
- Lankford criticizes Iran deal, EPA during chamber luncheon Updated: Aug-27-15 4:48 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - U.S. Sen. James Lankford criticized the Obama administration on Thursday for the Iran nuclear deal and the Environmental Protection Agency for its interpretation of federal law during a speech before the Edmond Chamber of Commerce.
- Documents: Workers had no way to issue warning after spill Updated: Aug-27-15 3:38 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - Members of a federal cleanup crew were initially trapped and unable to warn downstream communities that they had accidentally unleashed toxic waste water from a Colorado gold mine, according to government documents released Thursday.
- Clinton likens GOP's views on women to those of terrorists Updated: Aug-27-15 2:55 pm
CLEVELAND - Hillary Rodham Clinton on Thursday drew parallels between terrorist organizations and the field of Republican candidates for president when it comes to their views on women, telling an Ohio audience her potential GOP rivals were pushing "out of date" policies.
- US senator: Cultural change needed to stop human trafficking Updated: Aug-27-15 2:50 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - While laws are changing to reflect the reality that child prostitutes are victims, cultural attitudes also need to change, U.S. Sen. Rob Portman said Thursday after hearing from experts and a survivor of child trafficking.
- Warren, coy on whether to seek re-election, stockpiles cash Updated: Aug-27-15 2:08 pm
BOSTON - U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren is stockpiling campaign cash from liberal supporters across the country even though she hasn't committed to a 2018 re-election bid.