- Congress likely to give final OK to local Internet tax ban Updated: Feb-11-16 3:43 am
WASHINGTON - State and local governments would be permanently barred from taxing access to the Internet under a bipartisan compromise that Congress is a step away from sending to President Barack Obama.
- Ex-Ohio Gov. Celeste backs unendorsed underdog for US Senate Updated: Feb-11-16 3:15 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Former Ohio Gov. Richard Celeste is ready to hand his endorsement to Democratic U.S. Senate candidate P.G. Sittenfeld.
- Rhode Island House approves truck toll plan Updated: Feb-10-16 11:16 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - After more than eight months of debate over proposed highway truck tolls in Rhode Island, the state House of Representatives approved legislation late Wednesday night.
- Senate passes bill to hit North Korea with harsher sanctions Updated: Feb-10-16 9:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Seeking to derail North Korea's drive for nuclear weapons, Republican and Democratic senators set aside their partisan differences Wednesday to unanimously pass legislation aimed at starving Pyongyang of the money it needs to build an atomic arsenal.
- The Latest: Bush says he won't blame Obama for problems Updated: Feb-10-16 8:39 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Here's the latest on the 2016 presidential race as Republican and Democratic candidates head from New Hampshire to South Carolina and beyond. All times local:
- White House: Scrap drilling revenue sharing with Gulf states Updated: Feb-10-16 7:33 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Louisiana's U.S. senators and environmental groups are blasting the White House for proposing to help Alaska deal with rising seas by taking money away from similar efforts along the Gulf Coast.
- Senate urges federal term limits, condemns Israel boycotts Updated: Feb-10-16 6:59 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - The Florida Senate is sending two messages to Congress: set term limits for senators and representatives, and condemn efforts to boycott Israel.
- Colorado Editorial Roundup Updated: Feb-10-16 6:19 pm
The Durango Herald, Feb. 3, on end-of-life choices for the terminally ill:
- In Illinois, Obama issues an appeal for political unity Updated: Feb-10-16 6:15 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - President Barack Obama came here nine years ago to declare it was "time to turn the page" on cynical, special- interest politics. He returned Wednesday lamenting that the story hasn't changed.
- Stutzman joins Democrats to attack GOP rival's Senate ballot Updated: Feb-10-16 5:20 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A question mark hangs over Republican Congressman Todd Young's candidacy for U.S. Senate after Indiana Democrats were joined by his GOP rival in charging that the presumed front-runner failed to meet a state ballot requirement.
- Senate panel votes to hold website in contempt over sex ads Updated: Feb-10-16 4:38 pm
WASHINGTON - A Senate panel voted on Wednesday to hold the classified advertising website Backpage.com in civil contempt for failing to comply with a congressional subpoena into how it screens ads for possible sex trafficking.
- Wisconsin's Feingold avoiding Democratic presidential pick Updated: Feb-10-16 4:33 pm
MILWAUKEE - Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders? The question is much more than a ballot choice for Democrat Russ Feingold, whose hopes of reclaiming the Senate seat he held for 18 years rests with Wisconsin voters heavily invested in the presidential nomination fight.
- Ryan, Republicans grapple with alternative to Obama budget Updated: Feb-10-16 2:27 pm
WASHINGTON - Meet the new boss. Confronting the same tea party challenges as the old boss.
- Prosecutor in ex-coal CEO case Manchin's US attorney pick Updated: Feb-10-16 1:04 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - The prosecutor on former Massey Energy CEO Don Blankenship's case is Sen. Joe Manchin's pick for U.S. attorney.
- Ex-Ohio Gov. Celeste backs unendorsed underdog for US Senate Updated: Feb-10-16 12:14 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - In his U.S. Senate campaign against one former Ohio governor, Democrat P.G. Sittenfeld has landed the support of another.
- Feingold to skip Democratic presidential debate in Milwaukee Updated: Feb-10-16 9:15 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Russ Feingold is skipping the Democratic presidential debate in his home state of Wisconsin.
- Key developments following North Korea's rocket launch Updated: Feb-10-16 5:06 am
North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket has drawn sharp condemnations and threats of new sanctions. World leaders say Sunday's launch violated a U.N. ban on Pyongyang's use of ballistic missile technology. North Korea says the launch of a new Earth observation satellite, the Kwangmyongsong 4, or Shining Star 4, is part of a peaceful space program.
- New Mexico House approves ethics commission plan Updated: Feb-09-16 11:56 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - New Mexico has moved closer than ever to creating an independent ethics commission to keep watch over the conduct of public officials in the wake of a campaign finance scandal that led the resignation and jailing of former Secretary of State Dianna Duran.
- House tax break bill would mean $23M for Maine schools Updated: Feb-09-16 8:23 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine lawmakers are divided along party lines over whether to carry over several personal and business tax breaks to state income tax returns after Congress revived the expired breaks in December.
- Exit of California Senate candidate could help ailing GOP Updated: Feb-09-16 8:05 pm
LOS ANGELES - The sudden withdrawal of one of the Republican candidates in California's U.S. Senate race could help a party that's been battered in recent statewide elections, although Democrats remain favorites to hold the seat now occupied by Sen. Barbara Boxer.
- Indiana's Pence changes running mate before election Updated: Feb-09-16 7:41 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana Lt. Gov. Sue Ellspermann said Tuesday she is stepping aside as Gov. Mike Pence's running mate in an unusual move that allows a former state Republican Party chairman to join the ticket with the governor for a tough re-election campaign.
- Conservative opposition threatens criminal justice overhaul Updated: Feb-09-16 6:42 pm
WASHINGTON - A handful of Senate Republicans on Tuesday dealt a severe blow to prospects for overhauling the criminal justice system in Congress this year, with one lawmaker calling the bipartisan legislation championed by President Barack Obama and some prominent conservatives "a massive social experiment in criminal leniency."
- House approves bill to tighten control on VA construction Updated: Feb-09-16 5:19 pm
WASHINGTON - The House on Tuesday approved a bill to increase oversight and management of large construction projects at the Department of Veterans Affairs after a new VA hospital outside Denver tripled original cost estimates.
- Obama budget includes money for icebreaker, Alaska villages Updated: Feb-09-16 5:02 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - U.S. Sen. Dan Sullivan praised the inclusion of Alaska items in President Barack Obama's proposed $4.1 trillion federal budget but said Tuesday he cannot support a new oil tax and some other ways proposed to pay for the plan.
- The Latest: Top Indiana lawmakers backing Holcomb selection Updated: Feb-09-16 3:49 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The Latest on Indiana Gov. Mike Pence's pick to become the state's new lieutenant governor (all times local):