- Correction: Heroin Abuse story Updated: Aug-04-15 1:41 pm
LACONIA, New Hampshire - In a story Aug. 3 about efforts to combat the heroin abuse problem in New Hampshire, a quote provided by U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte's office misstated the status of a budget amendment that provided funding to address heroin and prescription drug abuse. The amendment was passed by the Senate Budget Committee, not the full Senate.
- News Guide: A look at the Iran nuclear deal and Congress Updated: Aug-04-15 1:40 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress' vote on the international accord to curb Iran's nuclear program in exchange for billions of dollars in sanction relief stands as the most significant national security decision since lawmakers voted in 2002 to authorize the invasion of Iraq.
- State workers' suit against Duckworth spills into Senate bid Updated: Aug-04-15 1:36 pm
JONESBORO, Illinois - A civil lawsuit alleging ethics violations nearly a decade ago has become an issue in a Democratic congresswoman's bid to unseat first-term Republican U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk in what is expected to be one of the most competitive 2016 Senate races.
- More fights ahead on Planned Parenthood after Senate vote Updated: Aug-04-15 1:19 pm
WASHINGTON - After the Senate's derailing of Republican legislation halting federal dollars for Planned Parenthood, one thing seems clear: Many on both sides think they can ring up gains from the battle.
- Virginia Democratic Senator backs Iran nuclear deal Updated: Aug-04-15 12:50 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia is backing the international accord with Iran.
- Governor orders flags at half-staff to honor Schweiker Updated: Aug-04-15 12:04 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Governor Tom Wolf has ordered flags at Pennsylvania's Capitol in Harrisburg and at all commonwealth facilities to fly at half-staff in honor of former U.S. Senator Richard Schweiker.
- Democrat Katie McGinty to run for US Senate in Pennsylvania Updated: Aug-04-15 10:53 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The former top aide to Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf says she is seeking the Democratic nomination for U.S. Senate next year.
- Ex-Senate candidate: Board has ended probe of Facebook posts Updated: Aug-03-15 10:19 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Kansas radiologist who lost a hard-fought primary battle to Republican Sen. Pat Roberts said Monday that the state's medical board has dropped an investigation into whether he violated patient privacy by posting X-ray images of severe medical injuries on Facebook.
- Ex-Senate candidate: Board has ended probe of Facebook posts Updated: Aug-03-15 10:04 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Kansas radiologist who lost a hard-fought primary battle to Republican Sen. Pat Roberts says the state's medical board has dropped an investigation into whether he violated patient privacy by posting X-ray images of severe medical injuries.
- Rounds and Thune criticize carbon emission reduction plan Updated: Aug-03-15 8:08 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - South Dakota's two Republican U.S. senators are criticizing the Obama administration's plan to cut greenhouse gas emissions from power plants because they say it will hurt jobs and increase electricity rates.
- Ex-broadcaster Craig James sues Fox Sports over firing Updated: Aug-03-15 8:02 pm
DALLAS - Former college football television analyst Craig James on Monday filed a religious discrimination lawsuit against Fox Sports that contends he was fired because he had expressed opposition to gay marriage during a failed run for the U.S. Senate.
- Former Gov. Robert Ehrlich not running for president Updated: Aug-03-15 6:49 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Former Gov. Robert Ehrlich says he isn't running for president, and he has no plans to run for U.S. Senate, either.
- Missouri GOP senator slams new power plant emissions limits Updated: Aug-03-15 6:05 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - U.S. Sen. Roy Blunt of Missouri is calling a new plan to dramatically cut U.S. power plant emissions a federal overreach.
- Former Pennsylvania Sen. Richard Schweiker dies at 89 Updated: Aug-03-15 4:49 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Former Pennsylvania Sen. Richard S. Schweiker, a liberal Republican who was the vice presidential candidate in Ronald Reagan's unsuccessful 1976 campaign and later served in his Cabinet, has died. He was 89.
- Comic Amy Schumer, Sen. Schumer call for better gun control Updated: Aug-03-15 3:16 pm
NEW YORK - Comedian Amy Schumer spoke tearfully of two women who were shot to death during a screening of her movie, "Trainwreck," and asked lawmakers Monday to support a gun control bill sponsored by her second cousin, U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer.
- W.Va. Democrat says he'll vote to end Planned Parenthood aid Updated: Aug-03-15 1:19 pm
WASHINGTON - West Virginia Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin says he will back a Republican bill cutting off federal aid for Planned Parenthood.
- Man who died in WWII receives Bronze Star 71 years later Updated: Aug-03-15 11:56 am
ST. LOUIS - A St. Louis soldier killed in action during World War II finally got his Bronze Star medal, thanks to the perseverance of the daughter he never knew.
- 5 things about Congress' fight over Planned Parenthood Updated: Aug-02-15 8:47 pm
WASHINGTON - Republicans will likely lose Monday's Senate showdown over halting federal aid to Planned Parenthood. Yet the political offensive by abortion foes has just started, prompted by a batch of unsettling videos that has focused attention on the group's little-noticed practice of providing fetal tissue to researchers.
- AG candidates take hard-hitting campaign to Fancy Farm Updated: Aug-01-15 11:18 pm
FANCY FARM, Kentucky - Democrat Andy Beshear and Republican Whitney Westerfield traded pot shots Saturday at Kentucky's premier political showdown, where prosecutorial experience and claims of skipping work for pedicures spiced up their hard-hitting campaign for attorney general.
- Boozman: States need more flexibility in nutrition bill Updated: Jul-31-15 5:29 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - States need to be given more flexibility in how they administer child nutrition programs as the funding bill comes up for renewal this fall, U.S. Sen. John Boozman said Friday.
- Taking on Bush and Rubio, Clinton calls for Cuba embargo end Updated: Jul-31-15 4:16 pm
MIAMI - Drawing a sharp distinction with Republican rivals in the pivotal election state of Florida, Hillary Rodham Clinton on Friday called on the GOP-run Congress to end the trade embargo the U.S. has imposed on Cuba since 1962
- UN nuclear chief to talk to Senate critics of Iran nuke deal Updated: Jul-31-15 4:15 pm
VIENNA - U.S. Senators who accuse the Obama administration of making secret deals with Iran that go beyond the publicly known nuclear pact will get a chance next week to question the head of the U.N. agency said to be linked to the alleged clandestine documents
- Monster of a fall awaits Congress after summer break Updated: Jul-31-15 3:20 pm
WASHINGTON - As lawmakers head out of the Capitol for a five-week summer recess, they leave behind a pile of unfinished business that all but guarantees a painful fall.
- Fancy Farm looks to sports talk radio host as its 2015 emcee Updated: Jul-31-15 1:55 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - If the goal of last year's Fancy Farm picnic was to tone down the crowd, this year's version promises to turn up the volume.
- Obama signs highway extension, calls for long-term funding Updated: Jul-31-15 12:09 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama says the U.S. government can't keep funding highway and transit projects "by the seat of our pants."