- Interior Secretary Jewell touts conservation fund in Montana Updated: May-03-16 3:29 pm
HELENA, Montana - Interior Secretary Sally Jewell is using the scenic backdrop of Montana's Hauser Lake to urge Congress to permanently reauthorize a key funding source for the country's parks and recreation system.
- Whittemore finishes sentence in San Francisco halfway house Updated: May-03-16 3:26 pm
RENO, Nevada - Former Nevada lobbyist Harvey Whittemore is a free man after spending 21 months of a two-year prison term in federal custody for breaking campaign contribution laws.
- 2 US senators want states included in wolf management Updated: May-03-16 2:47 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Two U.S. senators from the West want state wildlife authorities and ranchers to have more say in how the federal government manages endangered Mexican gray wolves.
- Democrats divide in 3-way primary for West Virginia governor Updated: May-03-16 2:46 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - While West Virginia's coal industry shrivels and unemployment surges, billionaire businessman Jim Justice is dreaming about the next Dollywood, Disney World or Idaho potato in his Democratic bid for governor.
- Fairfax to run as Democrat for Virginia lieutenant governor Updated: May-03-16 1:37 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Former federal prosecutor and 2013 attorney general candidate Justin E. Fairfax is running for Virginia's lieutenant governor position.
- Republican Christine Jones announces bid for Congress Updated: May-03-16 1:32 pm
PHOENIX - Former GoDaddy executive vice president Christine Jones has announced she's running for the Republican nomination to succeed retiring U.S. Rep. Matt Salmon in a congressional district spanning Phoenix's eastern suburbs.
- Proposed coin would honor space-shuttle teacher McAuliffe Updated: May-03-16 12:27 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - New Hampshire's U.S. senators have introduced a bill for the creation of a coin in recognition of the 30th anniversary of the space shuttle Challenger disaster and honoring Christa McAuliffe, who was picked to be the first teacher in space.
- Ex-challenger supports Ohio Democratic nominee for US Senate Updated: May-03-16 7:08 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Cincinnati city councilman who lost to former Gov. Ted Strickland in Ohio's Democratic primary for the U.S. Senate nomination is now endorsing his former rival.
- Indiana GOP voters pick between differing styles for Senate Updated: May-03-16 2:55 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana Republicans will choose a U.S. Senate nominee on Tuesday from two congressmen who rode a tea party wave to Washington in 2010 but now offer voters a stark style choice of either confrontation or pragmatism.
- Presidential race spotlight turns to Indiana primary Updated: May-03-16 2:42 am
INDIANAPOLIS - The nation's attention turns to an Indiana primary election that could play a significant role in who wins the Republican and Democratic presidential nominations.
- Democratic Senate candidates defend Obama during forum Updated: May-02-16 9:48 pm
FLORENCE, Kentucky - After years of being battered as a political punching bag in Kentucky, President Barack Obama received some favorable reviews Monday evening from several Democrats running for the U.S. Senate seat held by Republican Rand Paul.
- US Senate hopeful Blaha tries to get name on primary ballot Updated: May-02-16 9:21 pm
DENVER - Robert Blaha is challenging a finding by Colorado's top elections official, who said the businessman did not collect enough voter signatures to put his name on the ballot for the state's Republican U.S. Senate primary.
- Issues to watch in the final days of the session Updated: May-02-16 8:03 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama lawmakers on Tuesday begin the final two days of the legislative session with some major decisions before them. Lawmakers plan to meet Tuesday and then adjourn the session Wednesday. Here are three issues to watch in the 2016 session's final hours.
- More affordable health insurance option urged for Washington Updated: May-02-16 6:23 pm
SEATTLE - U.S. Sen. Maria Cantwell wants Washington state to bring back the Basic Health Plan, which provided an inexpensive health insurance option for the working poor.
- Indiana GOP to choose confrontation or pragmatism for Senate Updated: May-02-16 6:14 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana Republicans will choose a U.S. Senate nominee on Tuesday from two congressmen who rode the tea party wave to Washington in 2010 but now offer voters a stark style choice of confrontation or pragmatism.
- Stone from President Obama placed at New Hampshire memorial Updated: May-02-16 12:32 pm
RINDGE, New Hampshire - U.S. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire has placed a stone on behalf of President Barack Obama at a memorial in Rindge dedicated to Americans who work on behalf of peace.
- US senator visits Cincinnati VA after leadership shakeup Updated: May-02-16 8:45 am
CINCINNATI - Ohio's Democratic U.S. senator is visiting the Cincinnati VA Medical Center in the aftermath of a leadership shake-up there.
- GOP Senate candidates make pitches at state convention Updated: May-01-16 7:08 pm
BURLINGAME, California - Republican candidates for U.S. Senate made cameo appearances Sunday before a sparse crowd at a state party convention, underscoring the scant public attention the contest has generated in a state dominated by Democrats.
- Schumer: Probe billboards using phone data to track shoppers Updated: May-01-16 6:37 pm
NEW YORK - A U.S. senator is calling for a federal investigation into an outdoor advertising company's latest effort to target billboard ads to specific consumers.
- Poll: Clinton has big lead over Trump in Minnesota Updated: May-01-16 3:29 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - A new statewide poll conducted for the Star Tribune finds Democrat Hillary Clinton holding a big lead over Republican Donald Trump among Minnesota voters.
- 3 leading candidates vie to replace retiring Rep. McDermott Updated: May-01-16 11:03 am
SEATTLE - The three leading candidates to replace U.S. Rep. Jim McDermott are pushing to distinguish themselves in Washington's deeply liberal 7th Congressional District.
- The Latest: Company says ads respect consumers' privacy Updated: May-01-16 11:00 am
NEW YORK - The Latest on a U.S. senator's call for an investigation into the practices of an outdoor advertising company in New York (all times local):
- TV attack ads start fast in Pennsylvania Senate race Updated: May-01-16 11:00 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Democrat Katie McGinty had barely finished her victory speech celebrating a 10-point Pennsylvania primary win for the nomination to challenge Republican U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey before TV attack ads began flying in a general election contest that could tilt political control of the U.S. Senate.
- The Latest: Trump backers yell foul over Arizona party loss Updated: Apr-30-16 9:02 pm
MESA, Arizona - The Latest on the Arizona Republican Party convention (all times local):
- Time running out on Connecticut legislative session Updated: Apr-30-16 8:11 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Time is quickly running out for Connecticut lawmakers to finish their work this legislative session, including a revised budget for the new fiscal year that's projected to be $960 million in deficit.