- Officials: 6 Afghan security men killed in Taliban attacks Updated: Feb-13-16 9:09 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - Taliban insurgents killed six Afghan security personnel Saturday in two separate attacks, Afghan officials said.
- Afghanistan meeting ends with call for talks with Taliban Updated: Feb-06-16 11:22 am
ISLAMABAD - Four-nation talks aimed at ending Afghanistan's 15-year war concluded Saturday with a call for direct negotiations between the government and the Taliban by the end of February, but recent battlefield advances by the insurgents could make it hard to coax them to the table.
- Violence in Afghanistan forces Obama to rethink troop levels Updated: Feb-01-16 8:09 am
WASHINGTON - Fifteen years into the war that few Americans talk about any more, conditions in Afghanistan are getting worse, preventing the clean ending that President Barack Obama hoped to impose before leaving office. Violence is on the rise, the Taliban are staging new offensives, the Islamic State group is angling for a foothold and peace prospects are dim.
- South Dakota base holds service for airman killed overseas Updated: Jan-28-16 8:14 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - Soldiers, family and friends gathered at Ellsworth Air Force Base this week to remember an airman killed in the line of duty in Afghanistan.
- Afghan women demand role in peace process Updated: Jan-22-16 2:00 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - As efforts gather pace to renew peace talks with the Taliban, Afghan women still haunted by the insurgents' brutal rule say they are being left out of the process, and fear that an accommodation with the militants could lead to the loss of hard-won rights.
- IS radio beams propaganda, threats across rural Afghanistan Updated: Jan-21-16 1:15 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - The Afghan reporters recognized the voice threatening them with death on the Islamic State group's local radio station. It was a former colleague, who knows their names and where they work.