- Kansas lawmakers look to spending cuts to close budget gap Updated: Jun-02-15 11:59 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - House and Senate budget leaders will meet to discuss additional budget cuts as proposals to fill projected budget shortfalls with tax increases reach a deadlock.
- Kansas Legislature to discuss new taxes to fill shortfall Updated: Jun-02-15 7:17 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas lawmakers are preparing to discuss new packages of tax increases aimed at closing a looming budget shortfall.
- Kansas lawmakers' session expected to reach 104th day Updated: Jun-02-15 5:04 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Legislature's session this year is closing in on a record for length.
- Kansas lawmakers approve $131M budget for state court system Updated: Jun-01-15 9:46 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas legislators on Monday approved a budget for the state court system to head off the possibility that judicial offices would be forced to close next week.
- Kansas lawmakers OK bill further limiting local gun rules Updated: Jun-01-15 6:57 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Cities and counties in Kansas couldn't use zoning ordinances to limit gun sales or impose special taxes on firearms under a bill state legislators have approved.
- Kansas lawmaker protests failure to consider pot proposals Updated: Jun-01-15 6:32 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Senate's approval of a bill for helping victims of human trafficking has come after a Democratic member protested a lack of action on proposals to liberalize marijuana laws.
- Key tax proposal stalled in House, Senate negotiations Updated: Jun-01-15 6:22 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A proposal to levy a state fee on health care providers that is key to several tax plans remains deadlocked between negotiators.
- Kansas lawmakers pass limits on rights for sex predators Updated: Jun-01-15 5:45 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas legislators have approved a bill that would put new limits on appeals by sex offenders committed indefinitely to a state treatment program.
- Poll shows House GOP support for sales, business tax hikes Updated: Jun-01-15 2:15 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - An informal poll of GOP House members shows modest sales tax increases could be the most popular option for filling the state's budget shortfall.
- Kansas Senate votes to drop sales tax, preserve exemptions Updated: Jun-01-15 12:49 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Senate has approved a proposal to cut the state sales tax but rejected a companion measure to repeal exemptions to the tax to raise new revenues.
- GOP senators rethink, approve proposed court system budget Updated: May-31-15 8:40 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Some Republican senators have had an overnight change of heart about a proposed budget for the state's court system, allowing it to pass.
- Kansas state workers could be furloughed if budget delayed Updated: May-31-15 5:32 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas Budget Director Shawn Sullivan says that if state lawmakers don't pass a budget by June 7 all non-essential state workers will be immediately furloughed.
- Kansas Senate approves array of election law changes Updated: May-30-15 7:46 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Senate has approved an array of changes to state election laws dealing with the use of social media by campaigns and regulations on political signs.
- Kansas House approves bill tweaking 'webcam abortion' ban Updated: May-30-15 2:45 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas House has approved a bill aimed at allowing the state to enforce a ban on what critics call "webcam" abortions.
- Kansas AG to prosecute man accused of shooting officer Updated: May-30-15 12:52 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas attorney general's office will lead the prosecution of a 22-year-old man accused of wounding an Oklahoma law enforcement officer.
- Key Kansas lawmaker denies being absent due to vacation Updated: May-29-15 11:38 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A key Kansas lawmaker who has been criticized for his weeklong absence says he was away on family business and was not paid during that time.
- Kansas House approves changes to state's liquor laws Updated: May-29-15 7:19 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas House has approved a measure that would allow alcohol at state events at the Capitol and adjusts a number of liquor permit processes.
- Kansas Legislature's session this year among longest ever Updated: May-29-15 5:10 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas legislators are having one of their longest annual sessions ever this year because they haven't resolved difficult budget and tax issues.
- Kansas governor signs bill on emissions reduction plan Updated: May-28-15 2:12 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Republican Gov. Sam Brownback has signed a bill that would require legislators to sign off on any plan for reducing the state's greenhouse gas emissions.
- Kansas House approves bill revising land annexation process Updated: May-27-15 5:07 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas legislators have given final approval to a bill that would require cities and towns to get approval from counties before annexing land in some cases.
- Kansas marijuana bill hits roadblock in state Senate Updated: May-26-15 8:05 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A bill that would ease marijuana laws in Kansas has stalled in the state Senate and will likely not be considered further this year after its unexpected approval by the House.
- Small plane crash kills 1 in southwestern Kansas Updated: May-26-15 7:13 am
SYRACUSE, Kansas - The Kansas Highway Patrol says a 54-year-old man died when a small plane crashed in southwestern Kansas.
- Man placed in sex predator program sees it as life sentence Updated: May-25-15 1:21 pm
LARNED, Kansas - Carlos Lively says he may be confined by the state of Kansas for the rest of his life, even though he completed a prison sentence for a sex offense nine years ago.
- 4 killed in 2 separate Kansas accidents Updated: May-24-15 2:25 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Four people have died in traffic accidents in Kansas during the holiday weekend.
- Brownback signs bill regulating ride-hailing companies Updated: May-22-15 5:31 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback has signed a compromise on regulations that ride-hailing company Uber says will allow it to stay in the state.