- GOP congressman mulls run for governor in deep blue New York Updated: Feb-13-16 10:51 am
KINDERHOOK, New York - He is a Republican former Army colonel with political positions diverse enough to support gun rights and gay marriage. He won re-election in a Hudson Valley district that favored President Barack Obama and captured a third term by crushing a deep-pocketed Democrat by almost 30 points.
- NY senator calls for "50-hour learning week" Updated: Feb-13-16 9:46 am
ALBANY, New York - A group of New York state senators is pushing for a big investment in after-school programs and all-day kindergarten to create what they're calling a "50-hour learning week" for students.
- NY state police issued 4,686 tickets on Super Bowl weekend Updated: Feb-13-16 9:00 am
ALBANY, New York - New York's STOP-DWI initiative on Super Bowl weekend kept state troopers busy.
- Feds: Luxury apartments weren't built for disabled people Updated: Feb-12-16 5:09 pm
NEW YORK - The first Manhattan high-rise residential rental building constructed after the Sept. 11 attacks is promoted online as offering "well-thought out" luxury one-, two- and three-bedroom units to accommodate a comfortable and sophisticated lifestyle. But federal prosecutors said Friday the real estate development company that created it left out some important details that would exclude some disabled tenants.
- NY to require manufacturers to pay for fouled water cleanup Updated: Feb-11-16 10:14 pm
ALBANY, New York - Two industrial companies will be held liable for the cleanup of a toxic chemical that found its way into an upstate New York village's drinking water, the acting state environmental commissioner said Thursday.
- Schumer urges students to pressure Congress on college cost Updated: Feb-11-16 6:03 pm
BUFFALO, New York - Sen. Charles Schumer is asking college students to turn up the pressure on Congress to make college more affordable.
- New Jersey Senate passes new Port Authority overhaul bill Updated: Feb-11-16 4:24 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - The New Jersey Senate has passed legislation to overhaul the bistate agency that controls the New York City region's airports, bridges and tunnels, though the measure differs from reforms passed in New York.
- Westbound Thruway lanes reopen after weather-related crashes Updated: Feb-11-16 1:16 pm
BRUTUS, New York - A 30-mile stretch of the Thruway's westbound lanes in central New York has reopened after being closed by several weather-related crashes each involving multiple vehicles.
- Cuomo welcomes Italian president to NY, plans trade mission Updated: Feb-11-16 12:23 pm
NEW YORK - New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo says he will lead a trade trip to Italy, a country that he says has a special relationship with his state and the nation.
- Cuomo: $15 minimum wage would help 2.3 million New Yorkers Updated: Feb-11-16 3:05 am
ALBANY, New York - Gov. Andrew Cuomo says his plan to phase in a $15-an-hour minimum wage in New York state would benefit 2.3 million workers by increasing their wages by $15.7 billion.
- Critics decry radioactive leak at New York nuclear plant Updated: Feb-10-16 6:32 pm
NEW YORK - A leak of radioactive material into the groundwater below a nuclear power station in New York City's suburbs highlights a chronic problem with the nation's atomic plants, some watchdogs said.
- NY speaker: Proposal to hike taxes on millionaires is fair Updated: Feb-10-16 4:32 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie defended a proposal to raise taxes on millionaires, calling it a fair way to raise needed revenue despite strong opposition from Senate Republicans and a shrug from Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
- Top NY lawmakers defend response to Albany's ethics dilemma Updated: Feb-10-16 12:10 pm
ALBANY, New York - More than a month into their legislative session, New York state lawmakers are making little progress in tackling Albany's corruption problem, despite polls that show the public is fed up with the wave of arrests and convictions of Capitol insiders.
- Right-to-die legislation renews debate in Albany Updated: Feb-09-16 4:59 pm
ALBANY, New York - Two Assembly members and other advocates of letting the terminally ill end their lives said Tuesday their proposed law would limit suffering and has safeguards to prevent mistakes and abuse.
- NY Senate Republicans seek greater agricultural research Updated: Feb-09-16 4:30 pm
ALBANY, New York - Republican lawmakers in the New York state Senate say they want to increase spending on agricultural research and do more to support farms.
- NY lawmakers propose tax deferrals to defray childcare costs Updated: Feb-09-16 2:50 pm
ALBANY, New York - Democrats in the New York state Senate say the state should allow families with young children to defer some of their state income taxes to help them cover the cost of childcare.
- Former McAuliffe ally turns against him on gun compromise Updated: Feb-09-16 1:54 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - One of Democratic Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe's biggest donors and political allies has turned against him with an advertisement campaign condemning him for a deal he struck with GOP leaders on gun policy.
- Former McAuliffe ally turns against him on gun compromise Updated: Feb-09-16 1:39 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - One of Democratic Gov. Terry McAuliffe's biggest donors and political allies has turned against him with an advertisement campaign condemning him for a deal he struck with GOP leaders on gun policy.
- NY lawmakers question shifting CUNY costs from state to NYC Updated: Feb-09-16 3:05 am
ALBANY, New York - Some state lawmakers are questioning Gov. Andrew Cuomo's proposal to shift $485 million of City University of New York costs from the state to New York City.
- Citing huge patient load, NY nurses seek rules on staffing Updated: Feb-08-16 6:37 pm
ALBANY, New York - When the emergency room fills up - whether it's a big accident, flu season or a stroke of misfortune - Brooklyn nurse Rose Green says she can find herself sprinting from room to room, trying to keep ahead of the whims of calamity.
- GOP's Gibson moves closer to governor's run with committee Updated: Feb-08-16 12:26 pm
ALBANY, New York - Republican Rep. Chris Gibson is moving closer to a run for New York governor with the formation of a committee that allows him to raise money for a possible campaign.
- Higher ed up next on New York lawmakers' budget agenda Updated: Feb-08-16 3:05 am
ALBANY, New York - Higher Education spending is next on the agenda for New York lawmakers as they continue work on the 2016-17 state budget.
- NY lawmaker: NFL should require synthetic marijuana testing Updated: Feb-05-16 4:15 pm
ALBANY, New York - A New York state lawmaker who has sponsored bills targeting synthetic marijuana is calling on the NFL to require players to take drug tests for the substance.
- Health dept. finds cause for sickness linked to dance event Updated: Feb-04-16 9:02 am
ROCHESTER, New York - Health officials say norovirus caused scores of people to become ill after they attended a dance competition held in Rochester last month.
- Editorials from around New York Updated: Feb-03-16 10:59 am
ALBANY, New York - Recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New York's newspapers: