- Critics decry radioactive leak at New York nuclear plant Updated: Feb-10-16 6:32 pm
NEW YORK - A leak of radioactive material into the groundwater below a nuclear power station in New York City's suburbs highlights a chronic problem with the nation's atomic plants, some watchdogs said.
- NY speaker: Proposal to hike taxes on millionaires is fair Updated: Feb-10-16 4:32 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie defended a proposal to raise taxes on millionaires, calling it a fair way to raise needed revenue despite strong opposition from Senate Republicans and a shrug from Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
- Top NY lawmakers defend response to Albany's ethics dilemma Updated: Feb-10-16 12:10 pm
ALBANY, New York - More than a month into their legislative session, New York state lawmakers are making little progress in tackling Albany's corruption problem, despite polls that show the public is fed up with the wave of arrests and convictions of Capitol insiders.
- Right-to-die legislation renews debate in Albany Updated: Feb-09-16 4:59 pm
ALBANY, New York - Two Assembly members and other advocates of letting the terminally ill end their lives said Tuesday their proposed law would limit suffering and has safeguards to prevent mistakes and abuse.
- NY Senate Republicans seek greater agricultural research Updated: Feb-09-16 4:30 pm
ALBANY, New York - Republican lawmakers in the New York state Senate say they want to increase spending on agricultural research and do more to support farms.
- NY lawmakers propose tax deferrals to defray childcare costs Updated: Feb-09-16 2:50 pm
ALBANY, New York - Democrats in the New York state Senate say the state should allow families with young children to defer some of their state income taxes to help them cover the cost of childcare.
- Former McAuliffe ally turns against him on gun compromise Updated: Feb-09-16 1:54 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - One of Democratic Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe's biggest donors and political allies has turned against him with an advertisement campaign condemning him for a deal he struck with GOP leaders on gun policy.
- Former McAuliffe ally turns against him on gun compromise Updated: Feb-09-16 1:39 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - One of Democratic Gov. Terry McAuliffe's biggest donors and political allies has turned against him with an advertisement campaign condemning him for a deal he struck with GOP leaders on gun policy.
- NY lawmakers question shifting CUNY costs from state to NYC Updated: Feb-09-16 3:05 am
ALBANY, New York - Some state lawmakers are questioning Gov. Andrew Cuomo's proposal to shift $485 million of City University of New York costs from the state to New York City.
- Citing huge patient load, NY nurses seek rules on staffing Updated: Feb-08-16 6:37 pm
ALBANY, New York - When the emergency room fills up - whether it's a big accident, flu season or a stroke of misfortune - Brooklyn nurse Rose Green says she can find herself sprinting from room to room, trying to keep ahead of the whims of calamity.
- GOP's Gibson moves closer to governor's run with committee Updated: Feb-08-16 12:26 pm
ALBANY, New York - Republican Rep. Chris Gibson is moving closer to a run for New York governor with the formation of a committee that allows him to raise money for a possible campaign.
- Higher ed up next on New York lawmakers' budget agenda Updated: Feb-08-16 3:05 am
ALBANY, New York - Higher Education spending is next on the agenda for New York lawmakers as they continue work on the 2016-17 state budget.
- NY lawmaker: NFL should require synthetic marijuana testing Updated: Feb-05-16 4:15 pm
ALBANY, New York - A New York state lawmaker who has sponsored bills targeting synthetic marijuana is calling on the NFL to require players to take drug tests for the substance.
- Health dept. finds cause for sickness linked to dance event Updated: Feb-04-16 9:02 am
ROCHESTER, New York - Health officials say norovirus caused scores of people to become ill after they attended a dance competition held in Rochester last month.
- As NY lawmakers review budget, workers rally for $15 wage Updated: Feb-03-16 5:10 pm
ALBANY, New York - Low-wage workers from around New York state gathered at the Capitol on Wednesday to support Gov. Andrew Cuomo's call for a $15-an-hour minimum wage, a proposal that continues to dominate the year's legislative work.
- Editorials from around New York Updated: Feb-03-16 10:59 am
ALBANY, New York - Recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New York's newspapers:
- NY state cop: Not reporting missing college guns was mistake Updated: Feb-03-16 9:10 am
SYRACUSE, New York - State police in New York say they erred by failing to alert the public last fall that troopers were looking for four shotguns that had fallen out of a Syracuse University campus security vehicle.
- Supporters of aid family leave bill sense window this year Updated: Feb-02-16 10:43 pm
ALBANY, New York - The state Assembly again voted on Tuesday to allow workers to take paid time off to care for a new child or a sick loved one.
- NY commuter rails see uptick in ridership in 2015 Updated: Feb-02-16 4:21 pm
NEW YORK - New York transit officials say ridership increased on the nation's two largest commuter railroad systems last year.
- NY speaker wants higher taxes on millionaires Updated: Feb-02-16 1:12 am
ALBANY, New York - A long-awaited tax proposal from Democrats in the New York state Assembly would increase taxes on millionaires while giving tax relief to middle-class and low-income workers, a shift they said would raise $1.2 billion in new revenue while making the state income tax more equitable.
- Lawmaker questions adequacy of fines for NYC rent violations Updated: Feb-01-16 3:48 pm
ALBANY, New York - A Manhattan lawmaker says New York City data show more than 200,000 of the state's one million rent-stabilized apartment units aren't registered.
- Banks reach $154.3 million settlement on "dark pool" fraud Updated: Feb-01-16 8:07 am
WASHINGTON - Two major global banks, Barclays and Credit Suisse, are paying a combined $154.3 million to settle government investigations that they misled clients about being able to safely trade on their "dark pool" financial exchanges, the Securities and Exchange Commission and the New York Attorney General's office said Sunday.
- Official: NY investigators target NFL over ticket resale Updated: Jan-28-16 7:59 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York authorities are investigating whether the NFL is engaging in anti-competitive practices on its ticket-selling website, an official said Thursday.
- Inquiry finds sales of concert tickets are a 'fixed game' Updated: Jan-28-16 4:40 pm
ALBANY, New York - Had a hard time getting a ticket to a concert or sporting event? New York's attorney general says that's probably because more than half of tickets to many events are held for industry insiders or otherwise unavailable to the general public.
- MTA admits fault for inaccurate LIRR alerts after blizzard Updated: Jan-28-16 7:40 am
NEW YORK - The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is taking the blame for some of the confusion in communication LIRR riders experienced during and after the snowstorm.