- Appeals court reinstates trucker lawsuit over NY road tolls Updated: Aug-04-15 4:46 pm
NEW YORK - Truckers who claim the New York State Thruway Authority charges excessive tolls are back on track after a federal appeals court reinstated their claims Tuesday.
- New NY rules give public notice of sewage spills Updated: Aug-04-15 1:50 am
ALBANY, New York - Every year, tens of billions of gallons of raw sewage befouls waterways New York residents use for drinking, swimming and fishing. Fixing the problem will take time and money, but in the meantime, a new alert system notifies the public when a spill happens at some, but not all, of the state's sewage systems.
- New York attorney general to investigate woman's jail death Updated: Aug-03-15 9:17 pm
WHITE PLAINS, New York - The state's top prosecutor said Monday that he will investigate the jail cell death of a mother of eight who waited two days for arraignment on a shoplifting arrest.
- New York attorney general praises federal power plant rules Updated: Aug-03-15 6:36 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman says he'll join nine other states in defending President Barack Obama's plan to dramatically cut U.S power plant emissions if it's challenged in court.
- Estate of woman struck in Staten Island accident files suit Updated: Aug-03-15 7:22 am
STATEN ISLAND, New York - The estate of a 77-year-old woman fatally struck near the entrance ramp to the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge on Staten Island has filed a lawsuit.
- NY State Police cite plan to update patrol vehicle fleet Updated: Aug-02-15 9:21 am
ALBANY, New York - New York State Police say an update of the patrol vehicle fleet will be completed by the next fiscal year, removing those with more than 125,000 miles driven.
- New York lawmakers at odds over proposed Billy Joel highway Updated: Aug-01-15 8:49 am
HICKSVILLE, New York - New York lawmakers are battling over whether to rename part of a Long Island road after Billy Joel.
- NY Gov. Cuomo: Feds must contribute more for Hudson tunnels Updated: Jul-29-15 5:20 pm
ALBANY, New York - New rail tunnels under the Hudson River are needed to reduce delays, but the expensive project won't work without a greater financial commitment from the federal government, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Wednesday.
- NY Assembly speaker continues upstate tour with Ithaca visit Updated: Jul-29-15 4:09 am
ITHACA, New York - The new speaker of the New York state Assembly is continuing his tour of the upstate with a series of events in Ithaca.
- New York Gov. Cuomo announces new LaGuardia Airport Updated: Jul-27-15 11:29 pm
NEW YORK - A year after comparing New York's LaGuardia Airport to "some Third World Country," Vice President Joe Biden helped unveil an ambitious plan Monday to rebuild its collection of aging terminals into a modern, unified hub while easing congestion by doubling the space available for planes to operate.
- Judge: Citizens United must disclose donor information to NY Updated: Jul-27-15 8:19 pm
NEW YORK - A nonprofit conservative organization advocating for less government must disclose information about its major donors to New York's attorney general if it wants to solicit money in the state, a judge said Monday.
- Judge rejects ex-NY Assembly speaker's bid to toss charges Updated: Jul-24-15 7:02 pm
NEW YORK - Former New York state Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver lost a bid Friday to toss out corruption charges against him.
- Leading NY lawmaker found guilty of lying to FBI Updated: Jul-22-15 6:01 pm
WHITE PLAINS, New York - The No. 2 Republican in the New York Senate was found guilty Wednesday of lying to the FBI, a felony conviction that will cost him his seat.
- NY attorney general, others urges call blocking on phones Updated: Jul-22-15 12:47 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York's attorney general has joined counterparts from 44 other states in calling on five major phone companies to offer call-blocking technology to customers to help stop robocalls.
- NYC to MTA: Let's work to fill $14 billion funding gap Updated: Jul-22-15 7:35 am
NEW YORK - Mayor Bill de Blasio's administration wants the Metropolitan Transportation Authority to work with New York City to figure out how to fund a $14 billion gap in the transportation agency's capital plan.
- NY attorney general sues to shut charity Updated: Jul-22-15 3:04 am
ALBANY, New York - New York's attorney general has sued in an effort to shut down a Brooklyn-based charity, saying it's doing little to fight childhood leukemia.
- Ex-NY Senate leader, son indicted anew in corruption case Updated: Jul-21-15 8:03 pm
NEW YORK - The latest indictment against a former state Senate leader says he pressured a malpractice insurance company that wanted to discuss legislation with him into hiring his son and then supported his son after he bragged to his new boss that he didn't have to show up for work because of his father's powerful post.
- NY Assembly speaker announces $400K to combat heroin abuse Updated: Jul-21-15 12:59 pm
SYRACUSE, New York - A hospital in central New York is getting $400,000 from the state to fight heroin addiction.
- New York issues districts guidance for transgender students Updated: Jul-20-15 5:25 pm
Teachers of transgender students should follow the students' lead when deciding which names or pronouns to use and schools should avoid practices rooted in stereotypes, like having color-coded graduation gowns for girls and boys, according to state-issued guidance for accommodating transgender students in New York schools.
- New York Assembly speaker to kick off upstate tour Updated: Jul-20-15 11:26 am
SYRACUSE, New York - The new speaker of the New York state Assembly is heading north to visit with leaders and residents in the upstate region.
- NY lawmakers add to call for more upper-Hudson dredging Updated: Jul-18-15 9:04 am
ALBANY, New York - New York state legislators from both houses are asking General Electric to perform additional dredging of the upper-Hudson River.
- Schneiderman reports raising $2 million in campaign funds Updated: Jul-16-15 4:15 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman reports raising more than $2 million in campaign donations over the past six months.
- NY Gov. Cuomo signs new protections for nail salon workers Updated: Jul-16-15 1:47 pm
NEW YORK - New York's governor has signed into law tougher regulations of nail salons to protect employees, many of them female immigrants, from workplace mistreatment and exploitation.
- Attention, drivers! Construction starting on NYC Deegan Updated: Jul-16-15 12:02 pm
NEW YORK - The state transportation department says a construction project will be tying up the Major Deegan Expressway in the Bronx for about two years.
- NYC pizza franchise owner pleads guilty in wage theft case Updated: Jul-15-15 6:05 pm
NEW YORK - The owner of nine Papa John's pizza franchises in the Bronx pleaded guilty Wednesday to charges including illegally taking wages from his employees, the New York state attorney general said.