- Nuclear-powered carrier USS Ronald Reagan arrives in Japan Updated: Oct-01-15 12:59 am
YOKOSUKA, Japan - The American nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan docked at its new home in Japan's Yokosuka naval port Thursday just as Tokyo tries to deepen defense ties with the U.S. under new security laws that expand the role of Japan's military.
- China holding 2 Japanese citizens on spying allegations Updated: Sep-30-15 10:18 am
TOKYO - China has arrested two Japanese citizens on spying allegations, officials said Wednesday.
- Abe: Japan ready to help refugees, but not take them in Updated: Sep-29-15 8:08 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Japan's prime minister said Tuesday that his nation needs to attend to its own demographic challenges posed by falling birth rates and an aging population before opening its doors to refugees.
- Japan's education minister to quit over Olympic woes Updated: Sep-24-15 10:50 pm
TOKYO - Japan's education minister, Hakubun Shimomura, has submitted his resignation due to troubles with planning for Tokyo's National Stadium, a main venue for the 2020 Olympic games.
- Okinawa governor lobbies UN body over planned US base move Updated: Sep-22-15 1:22 pm
GENEVA - The governor of Okinawa has taken his effort to prevent the construction of a new U.S. military site in Japan to a key United Nations human rights body, arguing that democracy and self-determination are threatened because his constituents oppose it.
- Analysis: Japan takes step toward having a 'normal' military Updated: Sep-19-15 10:22 pm
TOKYO - In the wee hours of Saturday morning, Japan took a step toward having a military in line with most armed forces around the world, one that would be able to take part in combat even when the country is not under direct attack.
- Q&A: A look at Japan's contentious security legislation Updated: Sep-18-15 8:32 pm
TOKYO - Japan's parliament approved legislation that loosens post-World War II constraints placed on its military, an issue that has sparked sizeable protests and debate about whether the nation should shift away from its pacifist ways to face growing security challenges.
- Japan enhances military's role as security bills pass Updated: Sep-18-15 8:23 pm
TOKYO - Japan's parliament early Saturday approved contentious legislation that enhances the role of the country's military by loosening post-World War II constraints, after the ruling bloc defeated opposition parties' last-ditch effort to block a vote.
- Indian, Japanese military training in Washington this month Updated: Sep-11-15 4:24 am
TACOMA, Washington - Units from Joint Base Lewis-McChord this month are training with two foreign militaries.