- Hawaii Legislature chips away at reforming police forces Updated: May-21-15 12:37 am
HONOLULU - Hawaii lawmakers had hopes for rebuilding public trust in the state's police departments, but a number of bills that aimed to initiate reforms died during the 2015 session.
- Little-known bills: pests, toilets and election reforms Updated: May-10-15 8:10 pm
HONOLULU - The Hawaii Legislature has wrapped up its work for 2015, ending a session that drew attention for talk of medical marijuana dispensaries, rail tax extensions and Maui hospitals. There were hundreds of bills that were heard in committees that had lower profiles.
- Hawaii lawmakers vote to get rid of ethanol in gas mandate Updated: May-06-15 1:17 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii is poised to join an odd coalition of environmentalists, fuel manufacturers and chicken farmers who want to do away with a mandate to mix fuel with ethanol.
- Hawaii Senate President Kim ousted in unusual shakeup Updated: May-06-15 12:34 am
HONOLULU - State senators ousted Hawaii Senate President Donna Mercado Kim and replaced her with Sen. Ronald Kouchi, putting Hawaii's neighbor islands in a more prominent role with a representative from Kauai at the helm.
- Hawaii passes bills on energy, sex trafficking, rail tax Updated: May-06-15 12:32 am
HONOLULU - Hawaii lawmakers passed dozens of bills Tuesday heading into the final days of the Legislative session, approving plans that could raise taxes, save energy and ban sex trafficking. A bill to set up a system of medical marijuana dispensaries is scheduled for a full legislative vote on Thursday.
- Bill to extend rail tax for 5 years passes Legislature Updated: May-05-15 9:58 pm
HONOLULU - A tax to fund Oahu's planned rail transit project could be extended under a plan approved by the Hawaii Legislature.
- Hawaii bill for birth certificate gender change passes Updated: May-05-15 9:07 pm
HONOLULU - The Hawaii Legislature passed a bill that could make it a lot easier for transgender people to change their gender on their birth certificates, joining a growing number of states to make the change.
- Hawaii committee passes medical marijuana dispensaries bill Updated: May-04-15 10:16 pm
HONOLULU - Patients have waited nearly 15 years for legal access to medical marijuana in Hawaii, and they are now one step closer to reaching that goal.