- VDOT aims to smooth holiday traffic by lifting lane closures Updated: Nov-25-15 7:08 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - The Virginia Department of Transportation is smoothing the way for travelers by suspending highway work zones during the long Thanksgiving holiday.
- Heat of hunter's fire breaks boulder; it falls, killing him Updated: Nov-24-15 10:53 am
WHARTON, West Virginia - A hunter died when heat from his fire broke apart a massive overhanging boulder, tumbling on the man and nearly killing his neighbor as well, West Virginia State Police said Tuesday.
- VSP to heighten patrols during the long holiday weekend Updated: Nov-24-15 7:11 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Starting Wednesday, Virginia State Police will be out in force as highway traffic swells for the start of the long Thanksgiving holiday.
- Attorney general's office produces drug abuse documentary Updated: Nov-24-15 2:55 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - The Virginia Attorney General's Office has produced a documentary about the dangers of heroin and prescription drug abuse.
- Virginia House speaker to seek state retirement system study Updated: Nov-23-15 6:46 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - The speaker of the Virginia House of Delegates says he'll ask the General Assembly in January to create a commission to study the state's retirement system.
- VDOT to lift lane closures during Thanksgiving period Updated: Nov-20-15 3:08 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - The Virginia Department of Transportation is lifting highway lane closures during the Thanksgiving holiday period.
- Top Virginia senator agrees to share power of key committee Updated: Nov-19-15 2:52 pm
PORTSMOUTH, Virginia - Senate Republicans tried to project harmony Thursday after a recent public spat over whether the caucus leader was primed to become too powerful.
- Attorney general announces police minority recruitment plan Updated: Nov-18-15 11:21 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Attorney General Mark Herring has announced an initiative to increase the number of minority police officers in Virginia.
- Northam announces bid to win Democratic nod for governor Updated: Nov-17-15 5:28 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam has officially announced his run for the Democratic nomination for governor.
- Va. House Republicans introduce first bills for 2016 session Updated: Nov-16-15 1:10 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - On the first day Virginia state lawmakers can file bills for the 2016 General Assembly session, Republicans in the GOP-majority House of Delegates have introduced legislation focused on tolls inside the Washington beltway and the federal Clean Power Plan.
- Court to look at GOP appeal over Virginia congressional map Updated: Nov-13-15 3:04 pm
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court on Friday agreed to hear an appeal by Virginia Republicans who want the court to reinstate a congressional map drawn by state lawmakers.
- Toscano stepping down as Virginia House minority leader Updated: Nov-13-15 2:46 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Democratic Virginia House Minority Leader Del. David J. Toscano has announced that he will step down from the position.
- 10 of 15 Virginia Democratic superdelegates back Clinton Updated: Nov-13-15 7:03 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Two-thirds of Virginia's Democratic superdelegates are publicly backing Hillary Rodham Clinton's presidential bid, including all of the state's Democratic congressional delegation.
- Highway department announces winter preparations Updated: Nov-13-15 3:00 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - The Virginia Department of Transportation says it's stocked up with supplies to clear the state's highways when it snows this winter.
- Ed Gillespie forms PAC in bid for Virginia governorship Updated: Nov-12-15 2:19 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Former White House adviser and Republican U.S. Senate nominee Ed Gillespie has created a political action committee as part of his plan to run for Virginia governor in 2017.
- Big spending expected for state legislative races in 2016 Updated: Nov-07-15 10:26 am
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - While the presidential campaign commands the public's attention, political parties and financial contributors are quietly preparing for another less glitzy yet significant set of elections a year from now - battles to determine control of dozens of state legislative chambers.
- Virginia, North Carolina governors ask about survey delays Updated: Nov-05-15 6:07 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Two East Coast governors want the federal government to determine why applications designed to collect data on Atlantic coast waters to aid in potential energy exploration are taking so long to review.
- Virginia Democrats add 1 seat in the GOP-controlled House Updated: Nov-05-15 3:16 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Democrats have picked up one seat in the Republican-controlled House of Delegates.
- What Virginia election results mean for governor, 2016 Updated: Nov-04-15 5:56 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - The partisan makeup of Virginia's General Assembly remained virtually unchanged following an election that set spending records.
- Gecker concedes to Sturtevant in Virginia Senate race Updated: Nov-04-15 11:34 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Democratic candidate Dan Gecker has conceded to his Republican opponent in the closely watched race for an open seat in Virginia's 10th Senate District.
- Virginia Republicans remain in control of state Senate Updated: Nov-03-15 11:21 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia Republicans have maintained control of the state Senate after a bruising, expensive contest that featured heavy investment from national special interest groups.
- The Latest: GOP's Richard Black holds on to senate seat Updated: Nov-03-15 9:14 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - The latest on Election Day in Virginia as Democrats try to gain control of the Senate and Republicans battle to retain their slim edge while retaining their majority in the House of Delegates. (All times local)
- Q&A: What's at stake, other issues on Virginia Election Day Updated: Nov-02-15 12:42 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia voters will head to the polls Tuesday to elect all 140 members of the General Assembly. Here's a look at what's at stake and other issues on Election Day:
- Vehicle runs off bridge and falls into ravine; 1 killed Updated: Nov-01-15 4:57 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia State Police say a vehicle ran off a bridge and plunged about 60 feet to the bottom of a ravine, killing one person and injuring another.
- Virginia selling properties acquired for dropped bypass Updated: Nov-01-15 12:56 pm
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - The Virginia Department of Transportation is selling properties it acquired for a bypass project that has been dropped.