- On-Air Ambush: TV crew's killing unfolds in real time Updated: Aug-29-15 7:26 pm
The on-air shooting deaths of Virginia TV reporter Alison Parker and cameraman Adam Ward and the suicide five hours later of gunman Vester Flanagan played out in a sort of surreal time, spilling from TV screens within range of the Roanoke station's signal to horrified viewers the world over via social media. Five hours of horror, delivered in electronic bursts.
- Virginia AG asks court to dismiss uranium moratorium lawsuit Updated: Aug-27-15 2:07 am
DANVILLE, Virginia - Attorney General Mark Herring's office has asked a federal court to dismiss a lawsuit seeking to end a decades-old state moratorium on uranium mining.
- US solicitor general opposes ex-Va. governor's freedom bid Updated: Aug-26-15 5:10 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell has not met the legal standard that would warrant allowing him to remain free while he appeals his corruption convictions to the Supreme Court, U.S. Solicitor General Donald B. Verrilli Jr. said in papers filed Wednesday.
- Arlington dedicates highway overpass to state trooper Updated: Aug-26-15 4:17 am
ARLINGTON, Virginia - State and local officials are dedicating a highway overpass in Arlington County to the memory of a slain state trooper.
- 33 students injured in 2 school bus wrecks in Va. Updated: Aug-25-15 2:05 pm
DUNGANNON, Virginia - Authorities say 33 students have been injured in two school bus wrecks in Virginia.
- Report could speed up diplomatic training center in Va. Updated: Aug-24-15 3:20 pm
State Department officials are hoping a soon-to-be released report will help end wrangling in Congress that has delayed construction on a diplomatic security training center at a National Guard base in Virginia.
- Dominion's donations partially subsidized by its customers Updated: Aug-22-15 12:29 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia residents have been billed tens of thousands of dollars to pay for donations the state's most powerful electricity company has made to politically connected charities, according to company records obtained by The Associated Press.
- The Latest: Ex-Virginia governor petitions Supreme Court Updated: Aug-20-15 3:10 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - The latest on the case of former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell, who's been convicted on corruption charges but is appealing (all times local):
- GOP warns McAuliffe against reappointing judge Updated: Aug-18-15 6:18 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia Republicans are warning Democratic Gov. Terry McAuliffe not to reappoint his pick to the Virginia Supreme Court next month, but GOP leaders aren't saying what they'll do if the governor ignores them.
- McAuliffe plans to reappoint high court pick Updated: Aug-17-15 6:22 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - A rancorous partisan battle over Gov. Terry McAuliffe's pick for the state Supreme Court quickly escalated Monday and could be headed to court.
- The Latest: McAuliffe plans to reappoint Supreme Court pick Updated: Aug-17-15 6:16 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - The latest on a dispute between Virginia Democratic Gov. Terry McAuliffe and the Republican-controlled General Assembly over his appointment to the Virginia Supreme Court and the redrawing of the state's congressional districts (all times local):
- Contentious special session on redistricting ahead Updated: Aug-15-15 10:05 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - State lawmakers are set to return to the Capitol on Monday for what's expected to be a contentious fight over congressional redistricting and a Virginia Supreme Court appointment.
- Va. police charge 14-year-old W.Va. boy in pursuit Updated: Aug-11-15 3:11 am
FRONT ROYAL, Virginia - Virginia State Police have charged a 14-year-old boy from West Virginia with striking a trooper's patrol car during a pursuit.
- Va. GOP wants say over Clean Power Plan's implementation Updated: Aug-10-15 4:27 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - State Republican lawmakers say they want oversight of how Virginia implements a federal plan to regulate carbon dioxide emissions from power plants.
- Alcohol agents cleared in arrest of student claiming racism Updated: Aug-10-15 2:02 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Three Virginia liquor agents involved in a bloody arrest that prompted allegations of racism followed procedures and did nothing wrong, the state Alcoholic Beverage Control Department said Monday.
- Virginia governor heading to Maine for Democrats' fundraiser Updated: Aug-09-15 10:01 am
FREEPORT, Maine - Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe is swinging through Maine to help raise money for the state's Democratic party.
- Oregon Supreme Court Justice Virginia Linder retiring Updated: Aug-06-15 2:26 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - Oregon Supreme Court Justice Virginia Linder is retiring at the end of year.
- Orbital agrees to insure and help repair damaged launch pad Updated: Aug-06-15 12:29 pm
NORFOLK, Virginia - An aerospace company that uses a state-owned launch pad at Wallops Island in Virginia will help pay for repairs to the facility from an October rocket explosion and will also insure the launch pad, company and state officials said Thursday.
- McAuliffe to co-chair national Democrat redistricting effort Updated: Aug-04-15 4:17 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe is helping lead a new national effort to give Democrats a greater say in drawing future congressional boundaries.
- Powhatan County deputy fatally shoots man Updated: Aug-04-15 11:50 am
POWHATAN, Virginia - Virginia State Police are investigating the fatal shooting of a man by a Powhatan County sheriff's deputy.
- Virginia reaction to final Clean Power Plan rules Updated: Aug-03-15 5:49 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia will face less stringent federal requirements for cutting emissions from its power plants, according to finalized rules announced by President Barack Obama's administration Monday.
- Judge: Closed Va. truck stop's owner can't seek lost profits Updated: Jul-31-15 3:13 am
FINCASTLE, Virginia - A judge says the owners of a closed truck stop cannot seek lost profits from its state takeover.