- Democrats choose former House member to replace Glazier Updated: Aug-29-15 1:28 pm
FAYETTEVILLE, North Carolina - Democratic leaders in Cumberland County have selected former North Carolina Rep. Billy Richardson to replace a resigning House member.
- The Latest: Sanders says party needs huge voter turnout Updated: Aug-28-15 4:39 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Here are the latest developments Friday from the Democratic National Committee meeting in Minneapolis, where four Democratic presidential candidates are addressing the party.
- The Latest: 3 House primary runoffs too close to call Updated: Aug-26-15 12:11 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - The latest on Mississippi primary runoff elections (all times local):
- Coleman, Britton win party primary runoffs for commissions Updated: Aug-25-15 11:11 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Democratic and Republican party slates are now set for statewide and regional offices in Mississippi, with voters on Tuesday deciding one primary runoff for each party for a seat on a state commission.
- With Dalrymple out, speculation begins on next ND governor Updated: Aug-25-15 7:13 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Gov. Jack Dalrymple's announcement that he won't seek a second full term sets off a potential scramble to replace him. Here's a rundown of who's who among the potential hopefuls on both the Republican and Democratic sides:
- Rauner says Democrats trying to 'claw their way' to tax hike Updated: Aug-25-15 6:20 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner's office says lawmakers' plan to restore cuts to child care services shows Democrats' resolve to "claw their way to a massive tax hike."
- A look at where Senate Democrats stand on the Iran deal Updated: Aug-25-15 2:14 pm
Congress will vote next month on a resolution to disapprove of the White House-backed nuclear deal struck with Iran by the U.S., Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany. The deal aims to dismantle Iran's nuclear capabilities in exchange for billions in international sanctions relief.
- After Hagan's no, Democrats wait for Burr challengers Updated: Aug-23-15 10:58 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Since Kay Hagan declined in June to run for a return to Washington, North Carolina and national Democrats have been looking for strong candidates to challenge Republican U.S. Sen. Richard Burr in 2016.
- Ohio House Democrat Gerberry pleads guilty, resigns Updated: Aug-21-15 4:26 pm
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - The Ohio House's longest-serving Democrat resigned Friday after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor related to the mishandling of campaign funds.
- Maine Democratic lawmaker moving out of district resigns Updated: Aug-21-15 3:22 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - A Democratic Maine lawmaker serving his fourth term in the Legislature is resigning because his family is moving out of his district.
- The Latest on Springfield: GOP fires back at Democrats Updated: Aug-20-15 8:33 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The latest on activities in Springfield as Democrats gather for their annual Democratic County Chairman's Association brunch and Democrat Day festivities at the Illinois State Fair:
- Pine Bluff Democrat announces switch to Republican Party Updated: Aug-20-15 6:17 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - State Rep. Mike Holcomb said Thursday he's switching to the Republican Party, criticizing Democrats for their support of Planned Parenthood as part of the reason why he became the first Arkansas legislator to leave the party since a GOP sweep in November.
- Democrats pledge to stand united in face of Rauner 'attacks' Updated: Aug-20-15 5:47 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois Democrats, set back on their heels by an "epic struggle" with first-year Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner, pledged Thursday to stand shoulder-to-shoulder in opposition while a potentially bruising primary for a U.S. Senate race took shape.
- AG Healey top Massachusetts Democrat to back Clinton Updated: Aug-20-15 4:58 pm
BOSTON - Attorney General Maura Healey says she's backing Hillary Clinton for president.
- Democrat Nightenhelser seeking 3rd District House seat Updated: Aug-20-15 4:49 pm
FORT WAYNE, Indiana - A Huntington businessman says he's running for Congress in northeastern Indiana's Third District.
- Rauner, GOP rally at state fair; Dems nix vetoes Updated: Aug-19-15 8:34 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A re-energized Illinois Republican Party celebrated its newfound influence Wednesday, with party leaders telling a cheering crowd at the Illinois State Fair they are more united than ever against majority Democrats and Gov. Bruce Rauner announcing a goal to have GOP control of the Legislature within eight years.
- The Latest on Springfield: Senate OKs college grant funding Updated: Aug-19-15 8:11 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The latest on activities in Springfield as Gov. Bruce Rauner spends Governor's Day at the Illinois State Fair and action by the Senate on legislation, including overriding several Rauner vetoes:
- Labor unions facing tricky choice in Democratic primaries Updated: Aug-19-15 6:04 pm
LAS VEGAS - The choice facing labor unions in the Democratic presidential race boils down to hearts or heads - Bernie Sanders, who embraces their forceful opposition to a big trade deal, or Hillary Rodham Clinton, who is a strong favorite for the nomination.
- Democratic Maine lawmakers heading to Belfast on jobs tour Updated: Aug-19-15 4:08 am
BELFAST, Maine - A group of Democratic lawmakers will visit the Belfast area this week to meet with workers as part of their statewide "jobs tour."
- Democrats criticize Haslam for exploring more outsourcing Updated: Aug-18-15 7:49 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Democrats claimed on Tuesday that Republican Gov. Bill Haslam is displaying hostility toward state workers by looking to outsource the management of more government functions to the private sector, but Haslam dismissed the allegation as politics.
- Democratic lawmaker Kirkpatrick named to Clark County panel Updated: Aug-18-15 7:28 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Gov. Brian Sandoval appointed Democratic Nevada Assemblywoman Marilyn Kirkpatrick to the Clark County Commission on Tuesday, filling a vacancy created when Commissioner Tom Collins suddenly resigned last week.
- Consultant aims to boost low-budget Democratic candidate Updated: Aug-18-15 5:34 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A political consultant who has worked for Democrats in the Deep South says he's trying to generate support for Robert Gray, the truck driver who did not spend a dime and won the party's nomination for Mississippi governor.
- Ex-Democrat Gill running as independent in 13th District Updated: Aug-18-15 2:51 pm
BLOOMINGTON, Illinois - A former Democratic nominee in central Illinois's 13th Congressional District has announced an independent bid for the seat.
- Democrat Menendez announces opposition to Iran nuclear deal Updated: Aug-18-15 2:47 pm
SOUTH ORANGE, New Jersey - New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez announced on Tuesday his opposition to the Iran nuclear deal, the second Democratic senator to go against President Barack Obama, who is heavily lobbying for a congressional endorsement of the international accord.
- Western NY assemblyman switches parties to join Democrats Updated: Aug-18-15 11:26 am
ALBANY, New York - A western New York lawmaker has switched parties, changing his affiliation from Republican to Democrat to increase the Assembly's Democratic already overwhelming majority.