- Pennsylvania's budget train wreck unfolded over past year Updated: Oct-03-15 11:18 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The utter breakdown in state budget negotiations in Pennsylvania didn't happen overnight, but was produced by diametrically opposed policy positions and fueled by tough rhetoric among people elected specifically to work together.
- Q&A: Gun control prospects in GOP-run Congress remain remote Updated: Oct-02-15 5:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Another mass shooting, another appearance by a stricken-looking President Barack Obama expressing anguish and frustration over congressional inaction on gun control laws.
- Democrat Edwards trying to break party slump in Louisiana Updated: Oct-02-15 3:05 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Democratic candidate for governor John Bel Edwards has surged in recent polls, raising hopes among Democrats that they might reclaim a top position in a state where Republicans hold every statewide elected job.
- Maine Democrats respond to GOP attack on Planned Parenthood Updated: Oct-01-15 5:51 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine Democratic leaders say they will fight Republican attacks against Planned Parenthood.
- Democrats demand Walker call transportation session Updated: Oct-01-15 4:37 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Democratic lawmakers are demanding Republican Gov. Scott Walker call a special legislative session to deal with a shortfall in road project funding.
- Democrats block veterans funding bill as budget talks loom Updated: Oct-01-15 4:25 pm
WASHINGTON - Democrats on Thursday blocked the Senate from turning to a $78 billion spending measure for the Department of Veterans Affairs and military base construction. They and the White House argue that it's part of an overall GOP budget framework that shortchanges spending on other domestic programs.
- Democrats try to gain in House as GOP seeks supermajority Updated: Oct-01-15 3:34 pm
BOONEVILLE, Mississippi - Tracy Arnold had never held elected office before 2011, when the Republican won a House seat that had long been in the hands of Democrats and once epitomized the party's dominance in the state.
- Kansas Democrats expected to pick veteran activist as leader Updated: Sep-30-15 8:01 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas Democrats expect to pick a longtime Wichita-area activist as their new state chairman this weekend to concentrate on fundraising and boosting their numbers in the Legislature after the abrupt resignation of a leader who suggested rebranding the party.
- Wolf launches budget appeal to rank-and-file GOP lawmakers Updated: Sep-30-15 6:41 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf and his allies have begun reaching out to rank-and-file Republican lawmakers in an effort to build majority support for a budget plan that can break a 3-month-old budget stalemate.
- New Hampshire's Ayotte plays foil to Ted Cruz Updated: Sep-30-15 11:14 am
WASHINGTON - New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte is boldly taking on a role most of her fellow Republicans have been unwilling to bear: public foil to Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz.
- Democrats propose competing plan to pay for education Updated: Sep-29-15 8:26 pm
PHOENIX - Democrats in the Arizona Legislature on Tuesday proposed a school-funding plan that relies on surplus state money and puts more cash into schools than Republican Gov. Doug Ducey's plan to tap the state land trust.
- Democrats call on Walker, Republicans to change agenda Updated: Sep-29-15 7:19 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Democratic legislative leaders say Gov. Scott Walker and Republicans have lost focus and are overreaching by catering to the far right wing of their party in an "insatiable appetite for power."
- House Republicans advance bill to undo health law Updated: Sep-29-15 1:15 pm
WASHINGTON - House Republicans advanced legislation Tuesday to dismantle President Barack Obama's health law that could actually reach the president's desk.
- Oregon Senate Democrats elect new majority leader Updated: Sep-28-15 10:50 pm
SALEM, Oregon - Democrats in the Oregon Senate have elected a new majority leader.
- Democratic discontent with White House Syria policy growing Updated: Sep-28-15 6:10 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic discontent with the U.S. strategy in Syria is growing, with some of President Barack Obama's supporters in Congress questioning what he is doing to fight Islamic State militants, stem the exodus of Syrian refugees and find a political solution to the conflict.
- Democrats propose nearly $1B in middle-class tax credits Updated: Sep-28-15 5:30 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Democrats in the Republican-controlled Legislature proposed nearly $1 billion in tax cuts geared toward families with children and people paying off college loans in an attempt to shift more of the tax burden to businesses.
- Congressional Democrats push for Valeant Pharma subpoena Updated: Sep-28-15 2:38 pm
Congressional Democrats are pressing a Republican committee chairman to force a pharmaceutical company to turn over documents tied to price hikes imposed earlier this year.
- Democrats back candidate in key Vegas-area state Senate race Updated: Sep-28-15 2:06 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada Senate Democrats are endorsing a Clark County deputy district attorney in a key state legislative race.
- Political stakes high for McAuliffe in November elections Updated: Sep-27-15 9:03 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe's name won't be on the ballot in November's legislative elections in his state, but he'll have a lot riding on its outcome.
- Clinton, Sanders planning separate visits to Massachusetts Updated: Sep-26-15 11:31 am
BOSTON - The two top Democratic candidates for president are planning to visit Massachusetts this coming week.
- Christie has good record of surviving veto override attempts Updated: Sep-25-15 4:04 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - The Democrat-led Legislature has tried dozens of times to override vetoes by Gov. Chris Christie, but he's survived more attempts than any of his predecessors during the last five decades.
- Arkansas House Democrats elect Gray as minority leader Updated: Sep-25-15 3:49 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Democratic State Rep. Michael John Gray of Augusta has been elected the party's minority leader in the state House.
- Maine lawmaker from Pittsfield rejoins Democratic Party Updated: Sep-25-15 1:55 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - A Maine lawmaker who ditched the Democratic Party in April has rejoined the House Democratic Caucus.
- Biden hailed by gay rights group, but Clinton has head start Updated: Sep-25-15 6:10 am
WASHINGTON - Not yet a presidential candidate, Vice President Joe Biden will have a prime perch to appeal to LGBT voters when he headlines a glitzy national gala. Yet it may be too late to win over influential gay Democrats already committed to Hillary Rodham Clinton should he join the 2016 Democratic contest.
- Walker to hold first public appearance since leaving race Updated: Sep-23-15 4:56 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker plans to attend an anniversary celebration for a Wisconsin business on Friday, his first public appearance since abruptly dropping out of the Republican race for president.