- Next up in NY Legislature: Uber, ethics and NYC schools Updated: May-01-16 1:51 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York lawmakers will return to Albany on Tuesday to begin the final weeks of their work for 2016, confronting a to-do list that includes a possible upstate expansion for Uber, a decision on control of public schools in New York City and the challenge of addressing Albany's perennial corruption problem.
- TV attack ads start fast in Pennsylvania Senate race Updated: May-01-16 11:00 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Democrat Katie McGinty had barely finished her victory speech celebrating a 10-point Pennsylvania primary win for the nomination to challenge Republican U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey before TV attack ads began flying in a general election contest that could tilt political control of the U.S. Senate.
- Missouri Democrats see scant progress on police oversight Updated: Apr-30-16 1:25 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Taped on the office door of Rep. Brandon Ellington, the chairman of the Legislative Black Caucus, is a cutout of the House public safety chairman's smiling face, topped with the words "This is what bigotry looks like!"
- Probe of NYC mayor casts harsh light on lax campaign laws Updated: Apr-30-16 12:22 pm
ALBANY, New York - A probe swirling around New York City's mayor has cast a harsh light on some of the nation's most lax campaign finance laws, with contribution limits so easy to get around that even government watchdogs acknowledge a ring of truth to the familiar excuse: Hey, everybody's doing it.
- News Guide: A look at other primary races in West Virginia Updated: Apr-30-16 11:36 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - They're not running for president, governor, Congress or the state Supreme Court, yet some candidates in West Virginia's May 10 primary are hoping for the chance to earn their party's nominations for several statewide offices. Here is a summary of those races:
- Malloy says budget deal unlikely; Democrats disagree Updated: Apr-30-16 12:24 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut's state budget deficit problems got a little worse on Friday night and it appeared questionable whether a budget deal can be reached before the General Assembly adjourns.
- The Latest: Malloy says budget deal unlike by adjournment Updated: Apr-29-16 11:47 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The Latest on budget deliberations between Democratic Gov. Dannel P. Malloy and legislative Democrats, who are trying to reach an agreement on how to cover a projected $960 million deficit in next fiscal year's deficit before the General Assembly adjourns Wednesday at midnight. (all times local)
- Democrats question withholding blood infection information Updated: Apr-29-16 5:34 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Assembly Democrats want to know why state health officials delayed telling people that a blood infection was spreading in Wisconsin.
- Democrat Kaminsky wins ballot count in NY Senate race Updated: Apr-29-16 5:27 pm
ALBANY, New York - Democrat Todd Kaminsky has emerged as the winner of a New York Senate race on Long Island, although Republican Chris McGrath still hasn't conceded.
- California Democrats will meet to choose national delegates Updated: Apr-28-16 8:43 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - While much of the political attention is focused on the California GOP convention this weekend, Democrats are holding meetings around the state to select delegates to the national convention in Philadelphia.
- The Latest: Ballot count continues in NY Senate race Updated: Apr-27-16 5:54 pm
ALBANY, New York - The Latest on the counting of absentee ballots in the contested New York state Senate election on Long Island (all times local):
- Beshear says Bevin is abusing authority as governor Updated: Apr-27-16 5:53 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Saying Gov. Matt Bevin had declared war on him and his family, former Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear responded with a blistering critique of the new administration on Wednesday that included allegations of "selling state government to the highest bidder."
- Democrats eye Senate takeover after establishment wins Updated: Apr-27-16 5:04 pm
WASHINGTON - Democrats are increasingly optimistic they will take back control of the Senate in November, buoyed by establishment wins in Maryland and the key battleground state of Pennsylvania.
- Clinton embraces Trump's mention of 'woman's card' Updated: Apr-27-16 5:04 pm
ATLANTA - Presidential candidates Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton have launched into a rhetorical scrum, with the Republican front-runner eliciting a backlash that highlights his perilous standing among female voters who could help propel the likely Democratic nominee to the White House.
- Trump, Clinton win Pennsylvania; Dems tap McGinty for Senate Updated: Apr-27-16 1:31 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton came away big winners in Pennsylvania's presidential primaries Tuesday, as Democrats backed their party establishment's choice for U.S. Senate and an indicted Philadelphia-area congressman lost his bid for a 12th term.
- Trump routs rivals in Northeast; Clinton carries 4 states Updated: Apr-27-16 12:43 am
PHILADELPHIA - In a front-runner's rout, Republican Donald Trump roared to victory Tuesday in five contests across the Northeast and confidently declared himself the GOP's "presumptive nominee." Hillary Clinton was dominant in four Democratic races and now is 90 percent of the way to the number she needs to claim her own nomination.
- Age gap shows in Clinton win helped by older voters Updated: Apr-27-16 12:28 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Democrat Hillary Clinton got a winning boost Tuesday from older voters who turned out in larger numbers than the younger voting bloc that swamped rival Bernie Sanders with support in Connecticut's presidential primary, exit polls showed.
- The Latest: Cruz shoots an airball at 'basketball ring' Updated: Apr-27-16 12:15 am
WASHINGTON - The Latest on campaign 2016 as voters head to the polls in Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Delaware and Maryland (all times Eastern):
- Maryland Dems want more Obama, GOP unhappy with government Updated: Apr-27-16 12:08 am
Donald Trump won Maryland's Republican primary with strong backing from voters angry about how government is working and eager for a president who can bring change, according to exit polls released Tuesday.
- The Latest: Ex-mayor Dixon says she's 'not through yet' Updated: Apr-27-16 12:01 am
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - The Latest on Maryland's primary election (all times local):
- The Latest: McGinty, Toomey tangle in victory speeches Updated: Apr-26-16 11:58 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The Latest on Pennsylvania's primary (all times local):
- Pennsylvania Democrats pick establishment's Senate candidate Updated: Apr-26-16 11:52 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Democrats in Pennsylvania have gone with their party establishment's choice for a U.S. Senate candidate and rejected an ex-congressman who six years ago nearly won the office.
- Maryland primary guide: Van Hollen, Pugh clinch key wins Updated: Apr-26-16 11:45 pm
Maryland congressman Chris Van Hollen won the Democratic nomination for the U.S. Senate seat currently held by Democrat Barbara Mikulski on Tuesday in a polarizing battle over race and gender.
- Clinton, Trump win primaries in Connecticut Updated: Apr-26-16 11:40 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Hillary Clinton won the Democratic primary in Connecticut, claiming a narrow victory Tuesday over U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders in a state where she campaigned on pledges to address gun violence.
- Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump win primary in Maryland Updated: Apr-26-16 11:20 pm
BALTIMORE - Hillary Clinton won the Democratic presidential primary in Maryland on Tuesday, and Donald Trump won the state's Republican presidential primary.