- Top Democrat in Kansas House apologizes to caucus Updated: Jul-28-15 11:13 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - The top Democrat in the Kansas House has apologized to fellow Democrats and asked how he can improve next session.
- Florida congressional delegation will see upheaval in 2016 Updated: Jul-28-15 5:22 am
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Republican Sen. Marco Rubio's presidential ambitions and a court ruling tossing out several congressional district maps will cause upheaval among Florida's representation in Washington, including political complications for a congresswoman considered one of the state's few Democratic stars.
- Republicans draw in more money for top La. statewide races Updated: Jul-27-15 8:23 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Republicans are outraising Democrats in Louisiana's top two races on the Oct. 24 ballot, for governor and lieutenant governor - and pouring more of their own money into their competitions as well, according to the latest campaign reports.
- Kansas GOP, Democrats plan early March presidential caucuses Updated: Jul-27-15 3:43 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Republicans and Democrats in Kansas both hope March 5 caucuses will lure serious contenders for their parties' 2016 presidential nominations to the state.
- Democratic senator leaning toward supporting Iran deal Updated: Jul-26-15 1:33 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia said Sunday he is leaning toward supporting the Iranian nuclear deal because the alternative would be war.
- Missouri governor's race no mirror of White House contest Updated: Jul-26-15 12:14 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A well-known and well-funded Democrat, opposite a field loaded with an array of Republican candidates. The contest to become Missouri's next governor may seem similar to the White House race, but experts say important differences will affect it.
- State of the Race: The campaign for Pennsylvania's US seat Updated: Jul-26-15 10:49 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Democrats can expect to decide a primary contest in nine months to see who will challenge U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey, a Republican who is seeking his second six-year term in the 2016 election. The seat is expected to be crucial to determining control of the U.S. Senate, and Democrats hope their four-to-three registration advantage in Pennsylvania and heightened voter interest in the presidential election will deliver a victory to their eventual nominee. Here is a look at the race and the candidates:
- Lieberman, in retirement, lobbies against Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-26-15 10:37 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Former Sen. Joe Lieberman, who staked his Senate career on a tough U.S. response to terrorism following the 9/11 attacks, has emerged from retirement to again jump into the fray.
- As Democrats fret over 'sharing economy,' GOP moves in Updated: Jul-26-15 2:55 am
DENVER - The debate over ride-hailing firm Uber is laying bare divides in the Democratic Party and on the left about how to handle the new "sharing" economy. Republicans are hungry to exploit that ambivalence and make inroads into a wealthy sector of the tech industry.
- Kerry: Agreement on Iran issue only alternative to force Updated: Jul-24-15 10:48 am
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry said Friday that if Congress disapproves of the Iranian nuclear deal, it will undermine President Barack Obama's ability to act throughout the world.
- Democrats' old, new guard clash over US Senate race in Ohio Updated: Jul-23-15 9:50 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Former and current chairmen are clashing over the Ohio Democratic Party's treatment of a young challenger who has refused to drop out of the 2016 race for a U.S. Senate seat also sought by former Gov. Ted Strickland.
- Connecticut Democrats coming up with new names for dinner Updated: Jul-23-15 2:37 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut Democrats will change the name of the party's annual Jefferson Jackson Bailey Dinner, stripping the names of two former U.S. presidents who were slave owners.
- Democratic bills target Gov. Christie's presidential run Updated: Jul-23-15 1:42 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey Democrats are taking aim at Gov. Chris Christie with a pair of bills stemming from his presidential run, but their efforts look likely to fail.
- Gov. Wolf names Isenhour to succeed chief of staff McGinty Updated: Jul-23-15 1:10 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Gov. Tom Wolf tapped to his top liaison to state lawmakers to become his next chief of staff on Thursday as her predecessor prepares to run for U.S. Senate.
- New Mexico Democratic lawmaker to stay on LULAC board Updated: Jul-23-15 5:07 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A New Mexico Democratic lawmaker says she will not resign from the board of the nation's oldest Latino civil rights group despite calls to step down.
- Christie would have to resign under Democratic proposal Updated: Jul-22-15 6:08 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Democratic lawmakers say they will introduce a bill this week requiring Gov. Chris Christie and future governors to resign from office if they seek the presidency.
- Democrats propose bills to prevent unintended pregnancies Updated: Jul-22-15 5:20 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Democratic lawmakers are proposing legislation they say is aimed at preventing unintended pregnancies in Michigan.
- Democrat, Republicans differ on Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-21-15 6:44 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama's nuclear deal with Iran drew support from a member of the Senate Democratic leadership and sharp criticism from a senior Republican on Tuesday, ahead of private briefings from Cabinet officials who negotiated the accord.
- Democrats look to regain House seat in southern Illinois Updated: Jul-21-15 1:00 pm
BELLEVILLE, Illinois - A Belleville labor lawyer is the first 2016 challenger to a new Republican congressman who won a U.S. House seat that had been in Democratic control since World War II.
- Iowa progressive group to host Democratic gathering Updated: Jul-21-15 12:40 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa Democrats missing the Harkin Steak Fry can gather at a new progressive event next month.
- Democratic Kentucky governor puts budget surplus in savings Updated: Jul-21-15 11:43 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Democratic Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear announced Tuesday he was putting $82.5 million of the state's $165.4 million budget surplus into a state savings account.
- Burn to step down as chairman of Pennsylvania Democrats Updated: Jul-21-15 11:26 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Pennsylvania's Democratic Party chairman says he's stepping down, a year after a fight with Gov. Tom Wolf over the job.
- Clive Democrat announces for 3rd Congressional District seat Updated: Jul-21-15 7:41 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - A Clive resident has become the first Democrat to announce that he'll try to unseat incumbent Republican David Young in Iowa's 3rd Congressional District.
- High-stakes lobbying on Iran deal; pressure for Congress Updated: Jul-19-15 2:24 pm
WASHINGTON - Israel's ambassador to the United States raced in and out of offices on Capitol Hill, trying to persuade lawmakers that the nuclear deal with Iran is a historic mistake.
- Hillary Clinton tries to lift Democrats' spirits in Arkansas Updated: Jul-18-15 11:10 pm
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Returning to the state where she served as first lady for 12 years, Hillary Rodham Clinton tried to lift the spirits of Arkansas Democrats on Saturday night after recent losses that have turned what was once friendly turf for her party into decidedly Republican territory