- Republican attorneys general gathering in W.Va. this weekend Updated: Jul-31-15 3:13 am
WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, West Virginia - Republican attorneys general from across the county are meeting this weekend at The Greenbrier resort.
- GOP criticizes 'offensive' posts of NC elections appointee Updated: Jul-30-15 9:19 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina Republican Party officials said Thursday they were unaware of racially tinged social media posts by a man appointed to a county elections board and are urging him to step down.
- GOP Assemblywoman Victoria Seaman seeks state Senate seat Updated: Jul-30-15 7:37 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada Assemblywoman Victoria Seaman said she plans to run for the Las Vegas-area state Senate seat held by a fellow Republican.
- Wisconsin justice defends participation in Walker case Updated: Jul-30-15 6:08 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice David Prosser said Thursday he didn't have to recuse himself from a ruling that ended a secret investigation into coordination between Republican Gov. Scott Walker's recall campaign and outside groups. Prosser acknowledged spending by some of those same groups helped him win re-election in 2011 but argued that was years ago.
- Congress heading on vacation, putting off messy decisions Updated: Jul-30-15 5:46 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress is heading out for a five-week summer recess in anything but a cheerful vacation mood, leaving behind a pile of unfinished business that all but guarantees a painful fall.
- Va. GOP wants audit of gov's PAC following returned gift Updated: Jul-30-15 1:02 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - The Republican Party of Virginia is calling for an audit of Democratic Gov. Terry McAuliffe's political action committee.
- Kasich is 5th candidate who plans to attend Michigan event Updated: Jul-30-15 4:07 am
MACKINAC ISLAND, Michigan - Ohio Gov. John Kasich is scheduled to speak at a Republican gathering in Michigan in September.
- GOP leaders rally around Kirk after fundraiser's criticism Updated: Jul-29-15 10:58 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois Republicans rallied around first-term U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk on Wednesday after a top fundraiser briefly suggested that the moderate elected to Barack Obama's former seat should abandon his re-election bid due to a recent series of public gaffes.
- Planned Parenthood seeks fed study of fetal tissue research Updated: Jul-29-15 9:00 pm
WASHINGTON - Under fire for its role in providing fetal tissue for research, Planned Parenthood asked the government's top health scientists Wednesday to convene a panel of independent experts to study the issues surrounding the little-known branch of medicine.
- Carter: Successful Iran nuclear deal better than strike Updated: Jul-29-15 7:45 pm
WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Wednesday that the U.S. armed forces stand ready to confront Iran, but told lawmakers that a successful implementation of the nuclear agreement with Tehran is preferable to a military strike.
- House approves bill to make it easier to fire VA workers Updated: Jul-29-15 6:41 pm
WASHINGTON - The House on Wednesday approved a bill making it easier to fire or demote hundreds of thousands of employees at the Department of Veterans Affairs, as lawmakers expressed continued frustration at the slow pace of change at the beleaguered agency.
- Sen. Cruz takes on more traditional GOP target: the IRS Updated: Jul-29-15 6:01 pm
WASHINGTON - After a week of fighting with other Republicans, Sen. Ted Cruz took on a more traditional GOP target Wednesday: the IRS.
- GOP legislators block audit of Kansas foster care system Updated: Jul-29-15 5:29 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Republican legislators on Wednesday blocked a state audit of Kansas' foster care system even though several acknowledged that they have ongoing concerns about how well it protects abused and neglected children.
- GOP lawmakers want Washington to look at Planned Parenthood Updated: Jul-29-15 4:12 pm
SEATTLE - Thirty-four Republican state legislators have signed a letter asking Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson to investigate Planned Parenthood over allegations of selling fetal tissue.
- On Capitol Hill, GOP fighting itself instead of Democrats Updated: Jul-29-15 4:10 pm
WASHINGTON - When Republicans took full control of Congress this year, they were determined to show voters they could govern responsibly. Instead they've been tearing each other apart in extraordinarily public displays, delighting Democrats and giving some in the GOP heartburn as the party aims for the White House in 2016.
- Boehner calls challenge by Republican 'no big deal' Updated: Jul-29-15 3:42 pm
WASHINGTON - House Speaker John Boehner brushed aside a challenge to his tenure on Wednesday as the work of a lone dissident Republican amounting to "no big deal."
- House GOP asks to participate in debate over LePage vetoes Updated: Jul-29-15 2:27 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Republicans in Maine's House of Representatives say they want their voices to be heard when the state supreme court meets to hear arguments over whether 65 bills became law without Gov. Paul LePage's signature.
- GOP backs opponent of Republican incumbent attorney general Updated: Jul-28-15 6:28 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The Republican Party of Louisiana is backing former Congressman Jeff Landry for the post of state's attorney general, announcing Tuesday that it was snubbing GOP incumbent Buddy Caldwell.
- Scott Walker orders American on cheesesteaks, avoiding gaffe Updated: Jul-28-15 4:51 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The governor of the nation's top cheese-producing state visited the capital of cheesesteaks on Tuesday and ordered two topped with American, skipping the customary Cheez Whiz but avoiding the blunder of a former presidential candidate who was ridiculed for wanting his with Swiss.
- GOP: Still no deal on Clinton testimony to Benghazi panel Updated: Jul-28-15 3:44 pm
WASHINGTON - Republicans on the House committee investigating the 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya, said Tuesday that there is no agreement with Hillary Rodham Clinton over her possible appearance before the panel, despite the State Department's pledge to produce 5,000 new pages of documents.
- The Latest: Kerry's nuke deal testimony translated in Iran Updated: Jul-28-15 12:58 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest developments on Obama administration officials' testimony Tuesday before Congress on the Iran nuclear deal (all times local EDT):
- Florida congressional delegation will see upheaval in 2016 Updated: Jul-28-15 5:22 am
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Republican Sen. Marco Rubio's presidential ambitions and a court ruling tossing out several congressional district maps will cause upheaval among Florida's representation in Washington, including political complications for a congresswoman considered one of the state's few Democratic stars.
- GOP House chairman calls on Obama to remove IRS commissioner Updated: Jul-27-15 8:56 pm
WASHINGTON - The Republican chairman of a powerful House committee called for the removal of the IRS commissioner Monday, saying he has obstructed congressional investigations into the treatment of conservative groups.
- Republicans draw in more money for top La. statewide races Updated: Jul-27-15 8:23 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Republicans are outraising Democrats in Louisiana's top two races on the Oct. 24 ballot, for governor and lieutenant governor - and pouring more of their own money into their competitions as well, according to the latest campaign reports.
- NAACP criticizes NC GOP leaders for monuments bill Updated: Jul-27-15 7:26 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The president of the state chapter of the NAACP is criticizing Republican leaders in North Carolina following passage of a historical monuments bill which opponents say protects Confederate memorials.