- New Ukraine doctrine declares Russia military opponent Updated: Sep-02-15 2:28 pm
KIEV, Ukraine - Ukraine's national security council on Wednesday approved a new military doctrine that declares Russia to be a military opponent and calls for the country to pursue NATO membership.
- North Korean choir gives military-inspired concert in Russia Updated: Sep-01-15 10:58 am
MOSCOW - The North Korean National Choir has performed for the first time in the Russian capital, putting on a military-inspired concert.
- Ukraine asks Russia for lower gas prices for winter season Updated: Aug-28-15 9:01 am
MOSCOW - Ukraine asked Russia on Friday for lower gas prices for the winter and said Moscow should accept to write off a part of its loans to Kiev, as other international bondholders did this week.
- A look at recent politically tainted trials in Russia Updated: Aug-25-15 10:04 am
MOSCOW - The guilty verdict Tuesday for Crimean filmmaker Oleg Sentsov, who was convicted and sentenced to 20 years in a Russian maximum-security prison for an alleged terror conspiracy, follows a plethora of recent Russian trials that are widely seen as warnings to society not to question its Kremlin rulers.
- Russian air, ground forces on exercises in western regions Updated: Aug-25-15 8:04 am
MOSCOW - Russian air, ground and missile forces are conducting exercises in the western reaches of the country amid concerns that Moscow is pursuing an increasingly intimidating policy toward Europe.
- Russia adds to World Cup budget after recent cuts Updated: Aug-24-15 10:09 am
MOSCOW - The Russian government proposed a 2-percent increase to its budget for the 2018 World Cup on Monday, reversing a trend of repeated cuts this year.
- Poland's new leader seeks greater regional unity, NATO bases Updated: Aug-21-15 4:40 am
WARSAW, Poland - It's been a dream of some Polish leaders for nearly a century: an alliance of Eastern European countries running from the Baltic Sea down to the Black Sea that would keep Russia at bay.
- Iranian, Russian ministers present united front on Syria Updated: Aug-17-15 6:22 am
MOSCOW - The foreign ministers of Russia and Iran said after talks in Moscow that their two countries have a united position on Syria, with both diplomats warning against any outside attempt to dictate a resolution to the Syrian civil war.
- Syrian opposition leader: 'Russia isn't clinging to Assad' Updated: Aug-14-15 8:52 am
MOSCOW - Russia isn't committed to keeping Syrian President Bashar Assad in power, the leader of the main Syrian opposition group said Friday after talks in Moscow.
- Russian soldier accused of killing family tried in Armenia Updated: Aug-12-15 12:19 pm
YEREVAN, Armenia - A Russian soldier suspected of killing an entire family in Armenia has been convicted of desertion as a precursor to his murder trial.
- Saudi FM in Moscow for Syria-focused talks Updated: Aug-11-15 9:34 am
MOSCOW - Pressing to mediate the Syrian conflict, Russia on Tuesday hosted the Saudi foreign minister for talks that revealed sharp differences about the fate of Syrian President Bashar Assad.
- Jury convicts ex-Russian soldier of terror-related charges Updated: Aug-07-15 9:52 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - A federal jury on Friday night convicted a former Russian military tank commander of planning and leading a Taliban attack on U.S. forces in Afghanistan.
- The Latest: Jury convicts Russian veteran in Taliban attack Updated: Aug-07-15 9:25 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - The latest on the federal trial for a Russian military veteran who is accused of leading a Taliban attack on U.S. forces in Afghanistan (all times local):
- Iran nuclear deal opens diplomatic channels for Syria Updated: Aug-07-15 4:58 pm
BEIRUT - The nuclear deal with Iran was widely expected to affect other Middle East issues, and that may already be happening with Syria: A series of recent diplomatic maneuvers suggest a growing willingness to at least engage with the Iranian-backed government of Bashar Assad on ways to end the country's civil war.
- Russia trims World Cup budget again, cuts $2.4 million Updated: Aug-05-15 2:45 pm
MOSCOW - Russia has again cut its budget for the 2018 World Cup, in part by abandoning plans to build a new TV tower.
- Paratroopers compete in military games in Russia Updated: Aug-04-15 9:08 am
RYAZAN, Russia - Paratroopers from Russia, China and several other nations have shown their skills at military competitions in western Russia.