- Israel defense minister says Russian plane breached airspace Updated: Nov-29-15 12:40 pm
JERUSALEM - A Russian jet recently penetrated Israeli airspace but was not shot down thanks to an open communication system between the two countries, Israel's defense minister said Sunday as tensions continued to flare between Ankara and Moscow after Turkish troops downed a Russian warplane.
- Russia suspends visa-free travel with Turkey Updated: Nov-27-15 3:05 pm
MOSCOW - Russia announced Friday that it will suspend visa-free travel with Turkey amid the escalating spat over the downing of a Russian warplane by a Turkish fighter jet at the Syrian border.
- Strikes on IS city, focus of international campaign, kill 8 Updated: Nov-27-15 11:30 am
BEIRUT - A new wave of airstrikes targeting the Syrian city of Raqqa, the headquarters of the extremist Islamic State group and the focus of an international military campaign, killed at least eight people, including five children, Syrian opposition groups said Friday.
- The Latest: Russia supports closing of Turkish=Syria border Updated: Nov-27-15 10:20 am
ANKARA, Turkey - The latest developments regarding the war in Syria. All times local.
- Russia, France agree to tighten cooperation against IS Updated: Nov-27-15 12:58 am
MOSCOW - The presidents of France and Russia agreed Thursday to tighten cooperation in the fight against the Islamic State group, although they remained at odds over their approach toward Syrian President Bashar Assad.
- Russia strikes back at Turkey with economic sanctions Updated: Nov-26-15 11:59 am
MOSCOW - Russia plans to retaliate against Turkey for the downing of a warplane by imposing sanctions, cutting economic ties and scrapping major investment projects.
- Amid Syria's civil war, a James Bond-style rescue operation Updated: Nov-25-15 2:53 pm
BEIRUT - In the whirlwind of Syria's civil war, two Russian pilots parachuted from their aircraft into a chaotic front-line mountainous region near the border with Turkey after their aircraft was hit by a Turkish F-16 fighter jet.
- Russian crackdown on Muslims fuels exodus to Islamic State Updated: Nov-25-15 6:15 am
KOMSOMOLSKOYE, Russia - Rashid Magomedov had had enough, his father said. The devout Muslim was detained several times by Russian security police, spent two months in jail on charges that later were dismissed, and complained that police repeatedly planted weapons at his home as a pretext to arrest him.
- Obama and Hollande pledge solidarity against Islamic State Updated: Nov-24-15 8:53 pm
WASHINGTON - In a show of Western solidarity, President Barack Obama and French President Francois Hollande vowed Tuesday to escalate airstrikes against the Islamic State and bolster intelligence sharing following the deadly attacks in Paris. They called on Russia to join the international efforts, but only if Moscow ends its support for Syria's embattled president.
- Turkey shoots down Russian jet it says violated its airspace Updated: Nov-24-15 5:41 pm
MOSCOW - Turkey shot down a Russian warplane on Tuesday that it said ignored repeated warnings and crossed into its airspace from Syria, killing at least one of the two pilots in a long-feared escalation in tensions between Russia and NATO. Russian President Vladimir Putin denounced what he called a "stab in the back" and warned of "significant consequences."
- Russia's Putin in Iran for talks focusing on Syria Updated: Nov-23-15 4:36 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Russia's President Vladimir Putin visited Tehran on Monday for talks with Iranian leaders that focused on the Syrian crisis and an international peace plan intended to end the conflict.
- Obama warns against overreaction to Islamic State attacks Updated: Nov-22-15 12:35 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Trying to reassure a nation on edge, President Barack Obama said Sunday the Islamic State group "cannot strike a mortal blow" against the U.S., and he warned that overreacting to the Paris attacks would play into extremists' hands. "We will destroy this terrorist organization," he vowed.
- Canadian newcomer Trudeau a fresh face among APEC leaders Updated: Nov-19-15 11:23 am
MANILA, Philippines - He's younger than the next youngest leader by six years and nearly a full generation behind the 60-year-old average age of his Pacific Rim peers.
- With Islamic State targeted, what happens to Syria's Assad? Updated: Nov-18-15 3:17 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The tide of global rage against the Islamic State group lends greater urgency to ending the jihadis' ability to operate at will from a base in war-torn Syria. That momentum could also force a reevaluation of what to do about President Bashar Assad and puts a renewed focus on the position of his key patrons, Russia and Iran.
- Narrowing rift, US and Russia entertain cooperation in Syria Updated: Nov-18-15 7:19 am
MOSCOW - In a striking shift, President Barack Obama and Russian President Vladimir Putin are embarking on a tentative path toward closer ties and possible military cooperation, as the bitter rift over Ukraine gives way to common cause against the Islamic State group.
- Judge denies ex-Russian soldier's bid to overturn conviction Updated: Nov-17-15 12:54 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - A former Russian military tank commander has lost a bid to have his conviction on terror-related charges overturned.
- Obama, Putin discuss Syria conflict on G-20 summit sidelines Updated: Nov-15-15 12:16 pm
ANTALYA, Turkey - President Barack Obama and Russian President Vladimir Putin traded views on Syria's civil war and broached the tense topic of Ukraine during an impromptu sit-down Sunday in Turkey, American and Russian officials said.
- Putin, Indonesia's Jokowi to skip APEC summit in Manila Updated: Nov-13-15 5:18 am
MANILA, Philippines - Russian President Vladimir Putin called President Benigno Aquino III to tell him he will skip the summit of the Pacific Rim leaders in Manila next week because of the ongoing investigation into the crash of a Russian plane in Egypt, Aquino's spokeswoman said Friday.
- Obama to huddle with European leaders on Islamic State fight Updated: Nov-12-15 5:50 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama will huddle with the leaders of Germany, the United Kingdom, Italy and France next week in hopes of making "incremental progress" in the fight against the Islamic State group, the White House said Thursday.
- Putin: Russia doesn't want to enter arms race Updated: Nov-11-15 9:33 am
MOSCOW - Russia's military modernization program doesn't mean that the nation intends to engage in an arms race, President Vladimir Putin said Wednesday.
- Doping scandal threatens Russia's storied sports legacy Updated: Nov-11-15 12:36 am
MOSCOW - The day after the 2014 Sochi Olympics ended with Russia atop the medals table, a beaming President Vladimir Putin presented his athletes with state awards for "defending the honor" of their country by showing that its "great and glorious" sports traditions were still strong.
- Putin hosts ruler of Kuwait Updated: Nov-10-15 9:55 am
MOSCOW - Kuwait's ruler on Tuesday made his first trip to Russia to confer with President Vladimir Putin on the regional crises and potential areas of cooperation, and a Kuwaiti investment agency allocated $500 million for projects in Russia.
- Putin spokesman says Russia doping charges appear unfounded Updated: Nov-10-15 6:05 am
MOSCOW - The accusations of state-sponsored doping in Russian track and field appear to be unfounded, President Vladimir Putin's spokesman said Tuesday.
- In Egypt, angry talk of Western conspiracy over plane crash Updated: Nov-10-15 5:36 am
CAIRO - Egyptian media have reacted with fury as Britain and the United States increasingly point to a bomb as the cause of the Oct. 31 Russian plane crash in Sinai, with many outlets hammering home the same message: Egypt is facing a Western conspiracy that seeks to scare off tourists and destroy the country's economy.
- The Latest: British minister: Jet likely downed by explosive Updated: Nov-09-15 1:47 pm
CAIRO - The latest on the crash of a Russian plane in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula over a week ago that killed all 224 people onboard. (All times local.)