- Merkel hints at further military effort in Libya after talks Updated: Apr-25-16 1:47 pm
HANNOVER, Germany - German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Monday that she, U.S. President Barack Obama and the leaders of France, Britain and Italy discussed ways of supporting the fragile unity government in Libya and the possibility of expanding military efforts to stop the smuggling of migrants across the Mediterranean.
- US warns of links between Islamic State, Boko Haram Updated: Apr-20-16 2:32 pm
N'DJAMENA, Chad - At "Ground Zero" in Africa's counterterrorism fight, senior U.S. officials warned of deepening links between the Islamic State and Boko Haram and prodded Chad's ruling strongman to introduce reforms for the sake of long-term stability.
- US sanctions head of Libya's Islamist-backed government Updated: Apr-19-16 3:27 pm
WASHINGTON - The United States imposed sanctions on Tuesday on the head of Libya's Islamist-backed government in Tripoli, accusing him of threatening stability in Libya and undermining the new U.N.-brokered unity government.
- EU nations seek ways to boost unity government in Libya Updated: Apr-18-16 3:35 pm
BRUSSELS - European Union nations are seeking out ways to boost the fledgling U.N.-backed national unity government in Libya and even consider moving their naval mission into territorial waters on request to stamp out illegal migration from the north African nation and save lives at sea.
- Key countries back unity government in stabilizing Libya Updated: Apr-07-16 10:21 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Britain, France and Russia on Thursday backed the new U.N.-brokered unity government in Libya and called for international support for its efforts to reunite and stabilize the deeply divided country.