- AP Exclusive: Drug use up in prisons with intensive programs Updated: Jun-29-16 7:02 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Drug use behind bars appears to have increased since California started using drug-sniffing dogs and machinery to try to stop smuggling at state prisons, where overdose deaths are nearly five times the national rate, records show.
- 4 guards injured in Lancaster prison inmate attacks Updated: Jun-28-16 5:05 pm
LANCASTER, California - Authorities say four guards have been injured in inmate attacks at the California state prison in Lancaster.
- California regains control of medical care at 2 more prisons Updated: Jun-22-16 1:02 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California is regaining responsibility for providing medical care at two state prisons at opposite ends of the state after a decade of reforms.
- Father's Day comes early at California's San Quentin Prison Updated: Jun-17-16 6:32 pm
SAN QUENTIN, California - Father's Day came early this year at San Quentin State Prison, bringing hugs, smiles and cheer to 90 inmates at the lockup near San Francisco Bay.
- Judge: Transgender California inmates must get female items Updated: Jun-09-16 9:11 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California prison officials must let transgender inmates have more female-oriented commissary items including nightgowns, robes, sandals, scarves and necklaces as part of a settlement that will make California the first state to pay for an inmate's sex reassignment surgery, a federal judge ruled Thursday.