- NHL teams must consider expansion draft in offseason plans Updated: Jun-27-16 10:54 am
Brad Treliving saw the rules for the expansion draft and immediately was in an advantageous position. The Calgary Flames' general manager needed a goaltender, and with Las Vegas set to harvest the NHL for two of them in a year, his colleagues had incentive to make a move.
- Obama congratulates Pittsburgh Penguins on Stanley Cup win Updated: Jun-22-16 4:47 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is congratulating the Pittsburgh Penguins for their victory this month in the Stanley Cup.
- NHL schedule for 2016-17 condensed for World Cup, bye weeks Updated: Jun-21-16 6:42 pm
The 2016-17 NHL schedule is jam-packed, thanks to a late start because of the World Cup and a bye week for each team.
- Penguins to raise Stanley Cup banner Oct. 13 vs. Capitals Updated: Jun-20-16 2:55 pm
- 400,000 fans greet Pittsburgh Penguins at Stanley Cup parade Updated: Jun-15-16 10:06 pm
PITTSBURGH - The Pittsburgh Penguins turned around a once-disappointing season and fired a coach before winning a fourth Stanley Cup, adversity that seemed to make Wednesday's city-wide celebration that much sweeter.
- Sharks deal with sudden end to season after Cup final loss Updated: Jun-13-16 5:36 pm
ALAMEDA, California - After a two-month playoff run that changed the perception of the star players and a team that had been known for playoff letdowns, the reality of falling two wins short of the ultimate goal of winning the Stanley Cup hit the San Jose Sharks.
- Cup winners again, Penguins have shot at lengthy run at top Updated: Jun-13-16 3:34 pm
PITTSBURGH - When the Pittsburgh Penguins won the Stanley Cup in 2009, a dynasty appeared to be in the offing. It didn't quite work out that way. Injuries and inconsistent postseason play sent the franchise into a full-fledged identity crisis.
- Cause for celebration: 1 Stanley Cup arrest, parade planned Updated: Jun-13-16 2:47 pm
PITTSBURGH - The city prepared for a victory parade to celebrate the Penguins' Stanley Cup championship as its police and other public safety officials celebrated a victory of their own: making only one arrest as fans poured into the streets to celebrate Sunday night's win.
- Penguins beat Sharks 3-1 for 4th Stanley Cup title Updated: Jun-13-16 12:50 am
SAN JOSE, California - Sidney Crosby let out a scream as he lifted the Stanley Cup above his head, a wide smile spread across his face.
- Sid the Kid wins his 1st Conn Smythe trophy for Penguins Updated: Jun-13-16 12:32 am
SAN JOSE, California - Sidney Crosby has filled about the only hole left on his impressive resume.
- Penguins fans take to streets to celebrate Stanley Cup win Updated: Jun-13-16 12:31 am
PITTSBURGH - Pittsburgh Penguins fans have taken to the streets to celebrate their team's Stanley Cup victory.
- The Latest: Crosby hands Cup to injured D Trevor Daley Updated: Jun-12-16 11:13 pm
- Murray's confidence hardly shaken by Game 5 setback Updated: Jun-10-16 5:19 pm
PITTSBURGH - Matt Murray's slender frame has spent the last two months seemingly impervious to the increasingly massive weight on his shoulders.
- Penguins miss out on opportunity to win Stanley Cup Updated: Jun-10-16 12:45 am
- Stanley Cup merchandisers in "SWAT-mode" response after wins Updated: Jun-09-16 11:28 am
PITTSBURGH - A couple of hours after the Penguins won the Eastern Conference championship last month, Tim Piett drove to a shirt manufacturer in Grove City. The store manager for Yinzers in the Burgh arrived at Ithen Global at about 3 a.m. - three hours ahead of his scheduled pickup time. So, he took a nap.
- Rutherford's rapid makeover paying dividends for Penguins Updated: Jun-09-16 2:53 am
PITTSBURGH - Tasked two summers ago with rebooting a franchise whose window for success around stars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin appeared to be closing, Jim Rutherford didn't tinker. He gutted.
- Pittsburgh rounding up couches, other 'fuel,' for Pens game Updated: Jun-08-16 3:18 pm
PITTSBURGH - If you're a Pittsburgher wondering where the couch on your front porch went, wonder no more.
- Sullivan pushing all the right buttons for Penguins Updated: Jun-07-16 3:44 pm
PITTSBURGH - There is no magic button, even if the correlation between Mike Sullivan's deft attempts to a get player's attention and that player almost immediately elevating his game is unmistakable.
- Sharks face daunting task down 3-1 in Stanley Cup final Updated: Jun-07-16 3:11 pm
SAN JOSE, California - The task facing the San Jose Sharks is daunting: No team in nearly three quarters of a century has rallied from a 3-1 deficit to win the Stanley Cup Final.
- Pittsburgh street gets first name to honor Penguins' goalie Updated: Jun-07-16 2:11 pm
PITTSBURGH - Pittsburgh City Council has married itself to the fortunes of the city's National Hockey League franchise by adding a first name to one of the city's busiest streets.
- Sabres in talks with NHL to continue hosting rookie combine Updated: Jun-03-16 5:48 pm
BUFFALO, New York - The Sabres are in talks with the NHL to have Buffalo continue hosting the league's annual pre-draft rookie combine.
- Sharks C Logan Couture: 'Everyone cheats on faceoffs' Updated: Jun-03-16 5:27 pm
SAN JOSE, California - San Jose center Logan Couture says Sidney Crosby isn't the only player cheating in faceoffs in the Stanley Cup Final.
- Cops: 2 men tried to sell bogus Stanley Cup Final tickets Updated: Jun-03-16 10:05 am
PITTSBURGH - Pittsburgh police say two Massachusetts men printed up bogus Stanley Cup Final tickets and tried to sell them outside the Penguins arena.
- Rookies making major impact for Penguins Updated: Jun-02-16 5:42 pm
PITTSBURGH - It's easy to get awestruck the first time a new face walks into the Pittsburgh Penguins dressing room.
- Sharks better, but still fall to Penguins in Game 2 Updated: Jun-02-16 1:24 am
PITTSBURGH - The San Jose Sharks thought they improved from Game 1 to Game 2 in the Stanley Cup Final.