- Ohio elections chief gets text of anti-monopoly measure Updated: Jul-01-15 5:49 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The text of a hastily passed proposal to ban monopolies and cartels in Ohio's constitution has been delivered to the state elections chief for placement on the November ballot.
- Bill allows sale of 2nd Ohio prison to private operator Updated: Jul-01-15 4:06 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The state can sell a central Ohio prison to a private company under a bill on the way to Gov. John Kasich, creating the second privately owned and operated correctional institution in the state.
- Kasich signs $71B, 2-year budget after vetoing 44 items Updated: Jun-30-15 10:44 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio Gov. John Kasich on Tuesday signed a $71.2 billion, two-year state budget that continues his expansion of the Medicaid health program and provides an income-tax cut.
- Bill extending rape case prosecution heads to governor Updated: Jun-30-15 2:45 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A bill extending the time period for prosecuting rape and sexual battery to 25 years after the crime is headed to the desk of Ohio Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik).
- Ohio lawmakers won't adjust redistricting ballot issue Updated: Jun-30-15 9:43 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio's Senate president says a fall ballot issue proposing changes to Ohio's system for drawing legislative districts won't be revisited to include congressional lines as a result of a U.S. Supreme Court decision.
- Ohio House OKs bill to make serious pet abuse a felony crime Updated: Jun-26-15 3:08 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Legislation passed by the Ohio House would stiffen penalties for abuse of pets and other companion animals.
- Gov. signs bill to ban pure caffeine, powdered alcohol sales Updated: Jun-25-15 6:05 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Pure powdered caffeine won't be legally sold in Ohio under legislation signed by Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik).
- Ohio House passes student meningitis immunization bill Updated: Jun-25-15 1:57 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio students would have to be immunized against meningitis under a bill passed by the Legislature.
- Lawmakers OK plan to put CEO in charge of Youngstown schools Updated: Jun-25-15 6:58 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio lawmakers have approved a measure that would place a CEO in charge of running Youngstown's beleaguered city schools.
- Ohio lawmakers pass bill aimed at reducing drug overdoses Updated: Jun-25-15 4:19 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio lawmakers have passed legislation to expand availability of a drug overdose antidote used across the state to save addicts on the brink of death.
- The Latest: Legislative Panel finalizes Ohio's $71B budget Updated: Jun-25-15 2:43 am
- Ban on abortions after 20 weeks clears Ohio Senate Updated: Jun-24-15 5:05 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A proposed ban on abortions after 20 weeks' gestation passed the Republican-dominated Ohio Senate on Wednesday, hours after opponents testifying at the Statehouse decried the measure as being too restrictive and based on inaccurate conclusions about when fetuses feel pain.
- Senate OKs bill to allow Ohioans to register online to vote Updated: Jun-24-15 3:45 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohioans could register online to vote under a measure passed by the swing state's Senate.
- Ohio proposal would permit barricade devices in schools Updated: Jun-24-15 3:44 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio's two-year state budget plan includes a measure that could make it easier for schools to install barricade devices on doors in emergencies.
- Ohio lawmakers hold off on measure supporting Pete Rose Updated: Jun-23-15 4:19 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio lawmakers are delaying any action on a resolution urging baseball's commissioner to reinstate all-time hits leader Pete Rose and make the former Cincinnati Reds star eligible for the Hall of Fame.
- Ohio legislation would eliminate tax on feminine products Updated: Jun-23-15 12:14 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A proposal by Ohio lawmakers would do away with taxes on feminine care products.
- Ohio House votes to restore rare coins sales-tax exemption Updated: Jun-18-15 12:55 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio House has overwhelmingly voted to restore a sales-tax exemption for residents purchasing rare coins and precious metal bullion.
- Ohio bill lowers amount of heroin needed for maximum penalty Updated: Jun-17-15 3:20 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The amount of heroin found in a person's possession that would trigger maximum punishment under state law would be decreased under a bill in the Ohio Legislature.
- Ohio House panel OKs childproofing for e-cigarette liquids Updated: Jun-17-15 2:26 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - An Ohio House panel has approved a requirement that liquids used in electronic cigarettes be sold in child-resistant packaging.
- Budget change eliminates union rights for Ohio care workers Updated: Jun-17-15 1:56 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Independent health-care and child-care workers under contract with the state could not unionize under a change Republican senators in Ohio have made to the state budget.
- Proposed legislation would expand concealed weapons in Ohio Updated: Jun-17-15 10:46 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - An expanded version of Ohio's concealed weapons law would allow guns in places such as colleges and day cares and on private aircraft.
- Leaders: Tax hike on Ohio drillers won't be in state budget Updated: Jun-16-15 6:15 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A proposed tax increase on Ohio oil-and-gas drillers that's been intensely negotiated for weeks - and debated for years - won't be included in the two-year state budget, legislative leaders said Tuesday.
- Drilling tax hike proposed by Kasich on rocks Updated: Jun-07-15 5:14 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A drilling tax increase proposed by Republican Gov. John Kasich isn't likely to re-emerge in the Ohio Senate budget revisions due Monday.
- Lawmakers hear testimony on Ohio police training changes Updated: Jun-02-15 5:08 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio would boost the amount of training to become a police officer and require all candidates for law enforcement jobs to have a high school diploma under legislation being considered at the Statehouse.