- Georgia governor's vetoes on guns, faith bucked his GOP base Updated: May-04-16 4:47 pm
ATLANTA - When Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal recently vetoed bills allowing guns on college campuses and shielding religious people who deny people services based on their faith, he was directly bucking his fellow Republican lawmakers, who overwhelmingly supported the proposals, and possibly losing points with his conservative political base.
- The Latest: Georgia vetoes bucked conservative GOP base Updated: May-04-16 4:42 pm
ATLANTA - The Latest on Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal's veto of a bill that would have allowed concealed handguns on college and universities (all times local):
- Deal signs legislation adding 2 Supreme Court members Updated: May-03-16 8:12 pm
ATLANTA - Georgia's Supreme Court will expand by two members, both appointed by Gov. Nathan Deal.
- Jimmy Carter's cancer treatment inspires new Georgia law Updated: May-03-16 4:16 pm
ATLANTA - Georgia's governor has signed a bill inspired by former President Jimmy Carter's cancer treatment.
- Deal highlights pay raises, new construction in state budget Updated: May-02-16 4:29 pm
ATLANTA - Thousands of state employees will receive pay raises under a state budget Gov. Nathan Deal is set to sign Tuesday.
- Attorney general plugs campaign to uncover child sex abusers Updated: May-01-16 10:27 am
AUGUSTA, Georgia - Georgia Attorney General Sam Olens is promoting a new statewide campaign to "unmask" those who seek children for sex.
- Deal considers measures as deadline looms Updated: Apr-30-16 11:41 am
ATLANTA - Several pieces of legislation continue to wait on the desk of Gov. Nathan Deal, as the May 3 deadline looms for Deal to sign, veto or opt to not take action on the measures.
- Georgia executes man convicted in 1998 triple killing Updated: Apr-27-16 11:27 pm
JACKSON, Georgia - Georgia executed a man Wednesday who was convicted in the 1998 killings of a central Georgia trucking company owner and his two children during a home burglary.
- The Latest: Georgia executes man convicted in triple killing Updated: Apr-27-16 10:10 pm
JACKSON, Georgia - The Latest on the scheduled execution of a Georgia death row inmate (all times local):
- Former Georgia legislator named new chancellor at ECU Updated: Apr-27-16 5:56 pm
CHAPEL HILL, North Carolina - The UNC Board of Governors has chosen a former Georgia legislator as the new chancellor at East Carolina University.
- Georgia governor OKs state funds for anti-abortion centers Updated: Apr-26-16 1:57 pm
ATLANTA - Georgia can give state money to "pregnancy resource centers" that offer medical and other services to pregnant women while discouraging them from getting abortions, under legislation signed Tuesday by Republican Gov. Nathan Deal.
- Civil rights attorney, federal judge Horace Ward dead at 88 Updated: Apr-25-16 6:18 pm
ATLANTA - A civil rights lawyer who became Georgia's first black federal court judge has died.
- Georgia lawmaker targets guidelines on campus sexual assault Updated: Apr-22-16 5:17 pm
ATLANTA - A Georgia state lawmaker and his wife have filed a lawsuit against the U.S. Department of Education and its Office for Civil Rights, alleging that it is trying to "micromanage student sex lives" with its regulations on how colleges and universities should handle allegations of sexual assault and harassment.
- State, local officials react to Super Bowl ticket tax law Updated: Apr-22-16 1:34 pm
ATLANTA - Gov. Nathan Deal says a measure to keep football fans from paying state sales tax on Super Bowl tickets will help make Georgia more competitive nationally.
- Georgia lawmaker not resigning after DUI arrest Updated: Apr-20-16 9:30 am
CLAYTON, Georgia - A Georgia legislator says he regrets his arrest on a charge of driving under the influence of alcohol but doesn't plan to resign.
- State proposals on LGBT rights push business into spotlight Updated: Apr-17-16 6:46 pm
ATLANTA - Major corporations invested in Southern states have become some of the staunchest opponents of bills they consider discriminatory, facing off against Republican lawmakers eager to portray their states as the best home for global brands.
- Ex-DOT official guilty to bribery, illegally dumping dirt Updated: Apr-16-16 12:10 pm
ATLANTA - Prosecutors say a former foreman with the Georgia Department of Transportation has pleaded guilty to bribery for allowing unsuitable dirt to be dumped at sites in metro Atlanta.
- Georgia lawmaker charged with DUI while juveniles in vehicle Updated: Apr-14-16 7:42 pm
ATLANTA - A Georgia state representative charged with speeding while driving under the influence with four juvenile passengers onboard says he made a serious mistake.
- Cruz, Trump backers prepare for Georgia delegate fight Updated: Apr-14-16 1:32 pm
ATLANTA - Donald Trump scored a decisive victory in Georgia's March primary, taking more than half of the state's 76 Republican delegates as part of a dominant showing throughout the South.
- Georgia editorial roundup Updated: Apr-13-16 1:49 pm
Recent editorials from Georgia newspapers: