- Storage bunkers sealed off at nuclear dump closed by leak Updated: Jun-02-15 6:44 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Hundreds of containers of waste have been entombed at the federal government's underground nuclear waste repository in southern New Mexico now that workers have closed off storage areas affected by a radiation leak, officials said Tuesday.
- New Hanford system targets uranium in groundwater Updated: Jun-01-15 6:16 am
RICHLAND, Washington - Equipment is being installed at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation to remove uranium from groundwater, keeping the nuclear contaminate from eventually making its way to the Columbia river.
- Energy Department to investigate Los Alamos lab consortium Updated: May-29-15 10:09 am
SANTA FE, New Mexico - Following a series of electrical accidents, the U.S. Department of Energy has ordered two separate investigations of the contractor that manages the Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- Deal reached to clean up radioactive sludge at nuclear site Updated: May-26-15 6:05 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - An agreement has been reached to clean up a radioactive basin on the Hanford Nuclear Reservation, the nation's most polluted nuclear weapons production site, two federal agencies said Tuesday.
- Former Navajo Nation presidential candidate lands job at DOE Updated: May-21-15 6:15 am
FLAGSTAFF, Arizona - A former Navajo Nation presidential candidate who was disqualified over a language fluency requirement has landed a job with the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Federal judge to consider proposals for Hanford's future Updated: May-13-15 3:40 pm
RICHLAND, Washington - A federal judge has agreed to consider all three proposals to modify a court-enforced cleanup agreement for Hanford, which was signed in 2010.
- Carlsbad site could be used for plutonium disposal Updated: May-13-15 12:46 pm
CARLSBAD, New Mexico - A U.S. Department of Energy report indicates that a site in southern New Mexico may be used to dispose of plutonium from surplus nuclear weapons.
- Idaho nuclear scientists say fuel rods can be safely studied Updated: May-12-15 5:58 pm
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho - An eastern Idaho nuclear facility can safely handle two shipments of 25 spent fuel rods for research and it's not the start of turning the state into a nuclear waste dump, officials at the site say.
- Tennessee uranium set to be shipped to Nevada after delay Updated: May-07-15 10:28 am
OAK RIDGE, Tennessee - The Department of Energy is on the verge of shipping highly radioactive material from central Tennessee to a federal site north of Las Vegas.