- Bids sought for energy department waste trucking contracts Updated: Feb-06-16 3:51 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The U.S. Department of Energy is taking bids to replace two waste trucking contracts that are now worth half their original estimated value of $239.5 million in 2012.
- US Sen. Markey faults feds on natural gas export decision Updated: Feb-06-16 12:01 pm
BOSTON - U.S. Sen. Edward Markey says a decision by the federal Department of Energy to allow the export of nearly a billion cubic feet a day of natural gas out of New England is misguided.
- Idaho contract given to Texas-based Fluor Corp. Updated: Feb-05-16 9:49 am
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho - A Texas-based company has been awarded a five-year nuclear cleanup contract for a U.S. Department of Energy site in the Idaho desert.
- Ex-Sen. Lugar says MOX facility vital to nuke agreement Updated: Feb-04-16 3:33 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Finishing a South Carolina plutonium reprocessing project is critical to keeping up the U.S. end of a critical nonproliferation deal with Russia, one of the federal lawmakers instrumental in the agreement said Thursday after touring the facility that's still under construction.
- Measure supports storing spent nuclear fuel in New Mexico Updated: Feb-04-16 2:08 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - New Mexico lawmakers are considering a pair of nonbinding measures that would signal support for the development of a temporary storage facility to house spent nuclear fuel that has been piling up at reactors around the nation.
- NFL and law enforcement: No credible threat to Super Bowl 50 Updated: Feb-03-16 8:51 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - NFL security leaders and top law enforcement officials say there is "no credible threat" to Super Bowl 50.
- Federal, state, local officials beef up Super Bowl security Updated: Feb-02-16 6:04 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - From ticket scalpers to terrorism, football's biggest game always presents challenges large and small for law enforcement officials.
- Gov. Haley asks SC prosecutor to sue feds over MOX project Updated: Jan-26-16 6:33 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Gov. Nikki Haley on Tuesday moved forward with her threat to sue the U.S. Department of Energy for the agency's failure to meet a Jan. 1 nuclear fuel deadline, asking South Carolina's top prosecutor to pursue litigation and collection of $1 million daily fine.
- US, New Mexico ink settlements over nuclear radiation leak Updated: Jan-22-16 2:58 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - New Mexico and the U.S. Department of Energy inked $74 million in settlements over dozens of permit violations stemming from a radiation leak that forced the closure of the nation's only underground nuclear waste repository.
- Hanford employee positive for radioactive contamination Updated: Jan-22-16 1:31 pm
RICHLAND, Washington - An employee at the Hanford Fire Station has tested positive for a very low level of internal radioactive contamination after handling breathing equipment used at the nuclear reservation's Plutonium Finishing Plant.
- Plan calls for operations to resume at nuke dump in 2016 Updated: Jan-21-16 2:51 pm
CARLSBAD, New Mexico - Some operations at the federal government's troubled nuclear waste repository in southern New Mexico could resume by the end of 2016 under a plan approved by U.S. Energy Department officials.
- Solar program at Hill Air Force Base to start next month Updated: Jan-10-16 2:39 pm
OGDEN, Utah - A solar jobs program for veterans, first touted by President Barack Obama, will begin next month.
- UA engineering students get new Camaro to transform Updated: Jan-10-16 10:31 am
TUSCALOOSA, Alabama - For a team of students at the University of Alabama, a brand new 2016 Chevrolet Camaro topped with a red bow delivered just before Christmas marks the beginning of the next phase of an engineering challenge to retain the iconic sports car's performance while making it more energy efficient.
- New Mexico approves permit changes for troubled nuke dump Updated: Jan-08-16 8:00 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - State regulators on Friday approved several permit changes that would affect the location of monitoring stations and air flow requirements for the ventilation system at the federal government's troubled nuclear waste dump in southeastern New Mexico.