- Top US commander makes secret visit to Syria Updated: May-21-16 6:45 pm
NORTHERN SYRIA - On a secret trip to Syria, the new commander of U.S. forces in the Middle East said Saturday he felt a moral obligation to enter a war zone to check on his troops and make his own assessment of progress in organizing local Arab and Kurd fighters for what has been a slow campaign to push the Islamic State out of Syria.
- Russian soldier dies in Syria after shelling by militants Updated: May-11-16 3:39 pm
MOSCOW - A Russian soldier has died in Syria, the Russian military's ninth casualty since the start of the Syrian campaign.
- Syrian national extradited, charged with hacking for Assad Updated: May-10-16 6:17 pm
ALEXANDRIA, Virginia - A Syrian national extradited to the U.S. made an initial court appearance Tuesday on charges he helped hack and extort American targets perceived to be enemies of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
- The Latest: UN Security Council to hold meeting on Aleppo Updated: May-03-16 10:02 pm
BEIRUT - The Latest on Syria's civil war and the escalating violence in the contested northern city of Aleppo (all times local):
- Q&A: When is a Boot on the Ground not a Boot on the Ground? Updated: May-03-16 6:45 am
WASHINGTON - No one disputes that U.S. military forces are fighting in combat in Iraq and Syria -- except maybe President Barack Obama and some members of his administration.
- Obama boosts Islamic State fight, asks Europe to do the same Updated: Apr-25-16 7:06 pm
HANNOVER, Germany - Evoking history and appealing for solidarity, President Barack Obama on Monday cast his decision to send 250 more troops to Syria as a bid to keep up "momentum" in the campaign to dislodge Islamic State extremists. He pressed European allies to match the U.S. with new contributions of their own.
- The Latest: Obama meeting with European leaders Updated: Apr-25-16 8:51 am
HANNOVER, Germany - The Latest on President Barack Obama's visit to Germany (all times local):