- Opposition activists say Turkey shelling Kurds in Syria Updated: Feb-14-16 5:34 am
BEIRUT - Turkey shelled positions held by the main Kurdish militia in northern Syria for a second day Sunday, adding complexity to an inflamed situation in the area where Russian-backed Syrian government forces are also on the march, opposition activists said.
- The Latest: Turkey confirms shelling Kurds in Syria Updated: Feb-13-16 5:46 pm
BEIRUT - The Latest on the conflict in Syria as government troops, backed by Russian air power, continue to encircle rebel-held districts of the northern city of Aleppo (all times local):
- Carter says UAE will put special forces in Syria Updated: Feb-12-16 6:32 am
BRUSSELS - U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter says a key Persian Gulf ally has agreed to send special forces soldiers to Syria to assist in the development of local Sunni Arab fighters focused on recapturing Raqqa, the Islamic State group's capital.
- Russian PM warns against foreign ground action in Syria Updated: Feb-12-16 5:43 am
MUNICH - Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has warned other nations against committing their troops to a ground action in Syria, saying it would only exacerbate the conflict.
- Diplomats aim for temporary Syria truce in a week Updated: Feb-12-16 1:37 am
MUNICH - Diplomats trying to secure a cease-fire for the civil war in Syria fell short early Friday in organizing a truce but agreed to try to work out details and implement a temporary "cessation of hostilities" in a week's time. The deal appeared to be the result of a compromise between the United States, which had wanted an immediate cease-fire, and Russia, which had proposed one to start on March 1.
- Hoarding, fuel shortages seen as Syrian troops near Aleppo Updated: Feb-09-16 3:01 pm
With Syrian government troops closing in on Aleppo, some residents are preparing to flee while others are storing up food and other supplies for a long siege. Here's what we know about what's happening to the war-ravaged country's largest city.
- Saudi offer to send troops to Syria comes with uncertainty Updated: Feb-08-16 3:22 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Saudi Arabia's offer to send troops to fight Islamic State in Syria is as much about the kingdom's growing determination to flex its military might as it is about answering U.S. calls for more help from its allies in the Middle East.
- UAE says it's prepared to send ground forces to Syria Updated: Feb-07-16 7:27 am
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates - A top official in the United Arab Emirates said Sunday that his country is prepared to send ground troops to Syria to fight Islamic State militants as part of an international coalition.
- Saudi official says kingdom ready to send troops to Syria Updated: Feb-04-16 2:34 pm
CAIRO - A Saudi military spokesman said Thursday the kingdom is ready to send ground troops to Syria to fight Islamic State group provided coalition leaders agree during an upcoming meeting in Brussels.
- Iran training volunteer 'advisers' to serve in Syria Updated: Jan-27-16 12:02 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - A senior commander in Iran's Revolutionary Guard said Wednesday that it is training volunteer "advisers" to serve alongside President Bashar Assad's forces in Syria.
- Russia displays naval might off Syria's Mediterranean coast Updated: Jan-21-16 5:05 am
TARTUS, Syria - A Russian navy missile cruiser is on duty off Syria's coast to help protect a Russian air base with an array of long-range missile systems.
- Russia shows military might in Syria ahead of peace talks Updated: Jan-20-16 4:16 pm
HEMEIMEEM AIR BASE, Syria - Helicopter gunships sweep low around Russia's air base on the Syrian coast and long-range air-defense missile systems tower at the base's edge as warplanes take off one after another. The sound is deafening.