- Many UN council members want Burundi elections postponed Updated: May-27-15 8:12 pm
- UN says will engage Israel on 'realistic options' for talks Updated: May-19-15 7:26 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations' new Middle East envoy said Tuesday that he and the U.N. secretary-general will engage Israel's new government to explore "realistic options" for a return to talks with the Palestinians aimed at a two-state solution within a reasonable time frame.
- UN: Yemen crisis could open jihadist path through Somalia Updated: May-18-15 8:05 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon warned in a new report that the crisis in Yemen could open a corridor for jihadist movements through Somalia, which is located just across the Gulf of Aden.
- Migrants will not be sent back against will: EU top diplomat Updated: May-11-15 1:55 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Refugees and migrants intercepted at sea will not "be sent back against their will," the European Union's top diplomat assured the U.N. Security Council on Monday, citing a proposed EU maritime operation against the growing wave of migrant smuggling from north Africa.
- AP Exclusive: Libya rejects EU migrant plan, says not asked Updated: May-09-15 12:08 am
UNITED NATIONS - Libya's ambassador to the United Nations is largely rejecting a European Union plan to fight the growing migrant crisis that is centered in his crumbling country, saying his Western-backed government hasn't even been consulted and ruling out EU forces on Libyan soil "at this stage."
- Burundi president registers as candidate despite protests Updated: May-08-15 3:25 pm
BUJUMBURA, Burundi - Burundi's leader registered Friday as a presidential candidate with the country's electoral commission, despite nearly two weeks of deadly street protests in the capital opposing his bid to seek a third term.
- Yemen's UN ambassador calls for ground forces to intervene Updated: May-06-15 6:04 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Yemen's ambassador to the United Nations is asking the international community to quickly intervene with ground forces to save the country from Houthi rebels who have been targeted by Saudi-led airstrikes for weeks.
- Teen survivor tells of panic during deadly migrant rescue Updated: May-06-15 3:18 pm
NICOLOSI, Sicily - Calloused and stained, Baboucar Lowe's hands tell the story of a difficult life, one that nearly ended at 17 when the rubber dinghy he was on deflated within sight of a rescue ship, drowning dozens of migrants trying to reach Europe.
- AP Interview: Uganda's president says he's the one bullied Updated: May-06-15 7:05 am
UNITED NATIONS - There is so much freedom in Uganda that it's nearly anarchy, the country's president joked, stepping carefully around what's an open secret back home: Yoweri Museveni will run for yet another term next year, and surely he will win.
- UN confirms Ban will visit Moscow for WW2 Victory Day Updated: May-04-15 3:11 pm