- NTSB: No reported problems at takeoff for plane that crashed Updated: Jul-30-15 2:20 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - The small plane that crashed during a scheduled commuter flight bound for the southeast Alaska community of Hoonah earlier this month took off with no reported problems, according to a preliminary report on the incident.
- Scientist: oil slick likely from natural seafloor seepage Updated: Jul-30-15 2:17 pm
LOS ANGELES - Officials are still trying to determine the source of a mysterious miles-long oil slick off California's coast, but a scientist says it's likely the result of naturally occurring seepage from the sea floor.
- Congress passes 3-month highway, transit aid patch Updated: Jul-30-15 2:17 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress has passed a three-month bill to keep highway and transit money flowing to states, one day before the deadline for a cutoff of funds.
- Meeting in federal case on sex offender lockup ruled private Updated: Jul-30-15 2:13 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - When Gov. Mark Dayton, top legislators and other public officials head into a federal courthouse next month to discuss Minnesota's embattled sex offender program, the assembly will be closed to the public.
- House Dem Kildee supports Obama's Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-30-15 2:00 pm
WASHINGTON - A House Democrat who represents an American hostage in Iran says he supports the Iran nuclear deal.
- The Latest: Family vows to continue private search for boys Updated: Jul-30-15 1:58 pm
WEST PALM BEACH, Florida - The latest on the search for the two Florida teens who went missing while on a fishing trip off Florida's Atlantic coast:
- Senate panel passes bill lifting crude oil export ban Updated: Jul-30-15 1:41 pm
WASHINGTON - A Senate panel has approved energy legislation that would lift the 40-year-old ban on crude oil exports and open some areas of the Outer Continental Shelf to oil and gas exploration.
- Oregon National Guard's top general gets promotion Updated: Jul-30-15 1:41 pm
SALEM, Oregon - The head of the Oregon National Guard is getting a promotion.
- Brilinta? Brintellix? FDA warns of drug name mix-ups Updated: Jul-30-15 1:31 pm
NEW YORK - The Food and Drug Administration said Thursday that some doctors and pharmacies are getting confused by the similar names of an antidepressant and a blood-thinning medicine.
- Ex-Navy SEAL alleges anti-gay bullying by CIA workers Updated: Jul-30-15 1:13 pm
SAN DIEGO - A former Navy SEAL has filed an internal complaint alleging the CIA bullied him for being gay during a work assignment in June in Afghanistan.
- The Latest: Police: Hate crime not ruled out over MLK flags Updated: Jul-30-15 12:59 pm
ATLANTA - The latest on the investigation into Confederate flags found at the Ebenezer Baptist Church near the Martin Luther King Jr. Center in Atlanta:
- Confederate flags placed near MLK's church in Atlanta Updated: Jul-30-15 12:58 pm
ATLANTA - Confederate battle flags were stealthily placed on the grounds of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s church, and authorities said Thursday they were looking for two white males who were recorded on surveillance camera leaving the banners behind.
- TSA screeners find 2 guns in 2 days at Reagan Airport Updated: Jul-30-15 12:53 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - Two handguns have been uncovered in the last two days by screeners at Reagan National Airport.
- Senate passes 6-year highway bill, short-term patch needed Updated: Jul-30-15 12:48 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate passed a long-term transportation bill, but with House lawmakers already dispersed for their August recess, the bill will become just one more sticky issue on a jam-packed congressional agenda in the fall.
- Ex-US attorney wants feds to allow hemp on SD reservation Updated: Jul-30-15 12:47 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - The former U.S. attorney in North Dakota decided to take on his former employer by filing a motion Thursday to lift an 11-year-old federal injunction that prevents a man from growing industrial hemp on a South Dakota reservation.
- Prosecutors ask justices to review insider trading case Updated: Jul-30-15 12:40 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration asked the Supreme Court Thursday to reinstate securities fraud convictions against two hedge fund portfolio managers, saying a federal appeals court ruling in the financiers' favor makes it harder to prosecute insider trading.
- US economy posts solid 2.3 percent growth rate in Q2 Updated: Jul-30-15 12:39 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. economy posted a solid rebound in the April-June quarter after a harsh winter, led by a surge in consumer spending and a recovery in foreign trade that bode well for the rest of the year.
- Bangor City Councilor Baldacci announces congressional run Updated: Jul-30-15 11:59 am
BANGOR, Maine - Bangor City Councilor Joe Baldacci, the brother of former Gov. John Baldacci, has filed papers to run for the Democratic nomination for the U.S. House of Representatives in Maine's 2nd District.
- Schock, prosecutors find resolution on contempt accusations Updated: Jul-30-15 11:43 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Former U.S. Rep. Aaron Schock and his attorneys have reached a temporary resolution with federal prosecutors on civil contempt accusations he faced for failing to produce campaign and congressional records.
- Attorney general signs letter asking EPA to delay water rule Updated: Jul-30-15 11:40 am
PIERRE, South Dakota - South Dakota Attorney General Marty Jackley has joined counterparts and other officials in 30 other states in asking the Environmental Protection Agency to delay implementing a new federal water rule.
- Correction: Zimbabwe-Lion Killed-3 Things story Updated: Jul-30-15 11:23 am
WASHINGTON - In a story July 29 about U.S. regulations and big game hunting, The Associated Press erroneously referred to The Human Society of the United States. It is The Humane Society of the United States.
- Illinois state Sen. Tom Cullerton won't run for Congress Updated: Jul-30-15 11:10 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois state Sen. Tom Cullerton says he's decided not to run for Congress to replace Democratic U.S. Rep. Tammy Duckworth.
- Hope for miracle dims but search goes on for missing boys Updated: Jul-30-15 7:20 am
TEQUESTA, Florida - Families hoped for a miracle even as science nagged that one was improbable and rescue crews went into a seventh day of searches Thursday for two teens missing at sea.
- A Life Lesson: Children learn agriculture, taxes Updated: Jul-30-15 7:05 am
GILLETTE, Wyoming - Kids have a lot to worry about these days.
- New Orleans firefighters recover body from Mississippi River Updated: Jul-30-15 6:44 am
NEW ORLEANS - New Orleans police say the body of an unidentified man has been found floating in the Mississippi River.