- The Latest: Samaritan's Purse sends truckloads of supplies Updated: Oct-07-15 11:56 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The latest on the rainstorm that pounded parts of the East Coast (all times local):
- Lawmakers question effectiveness of dietary guidelines Updated: Oct-07-15 11:45 am
WASHINGTON - Lawmakers on Wednesday asked federal officials whether Americans should trust the government's dietary guidelines, which inform everything from school lunches to advice from a doctor.
- Ohio lawmakers poised to vote on charter schools overhaul Updated: Oct-07-15 11:44 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - After years of emotional public debate, Ohio is moving to overhaul its embattled charter-school system with new performance, accountability and reporting requirements, which supporters say could come just in time to secure millions of dollars in federal charter funding.
- Gowdy on McCarthy's comments: 'Kevin screwed up' Updated: Oct-07-15 11:06 am
WASHINGTON - The chairman of the committee investigating the 2012 Benghazi attacks said Wednesday that House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy "screwed up" when he suggested the probe was useful in driving down Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton's poll numbers.
- Did US strike on Afghan clinic exceed combat authority? Updated: Oct-07-15 9:49 am
WASHINGTON - The U.S. airstrike on a hospital in Afghanistan, which U.S. officials have called a "mistake," may have exceeded the rules American forces have operated under since their combat mission ended nearly a year ago, officials say.
- Carter: US not cooperating with Russia against Islamic State Updated: Oct-07-15 9:33 am
ROME - U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Wednesday the U.S.-led coalition has not agreed to cooperate with Russia in the fight against the Islamic State and no collaboration is possible as long as Moscow continues to strike other targets.
- Man cited after gun found in carry-on bag at Norfolk airport Updated: Oct-07-15 9:33 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - Federal authorities say a man was cited for bringing a loaded handgun to Norfolk International Airport after officers discovered the weapon in a carry-on bag.
- Federal investigators hope to find cargo ship's recorder Updated: Oct-07-15 8:24 am
JACKSONVILLE, Florida - Federal investigators looking into the ill-fated voyage of a 790-foot freighter believed to have sunk in the Atlantic during Hurricane Joaquin say they still hope to recover a data recorder from the ship as search crews continue looking for any survivors.
- The Latest: Investigators try to retrieve ship data recorder Updated: Oct-07-15 8:16 am
JACKSONVILLE, Florida - The latest on a U.S.-based cargo ship that sank in the Atlantic and the search for crew members. All times local:
- Feds tell Amtrak to raise planned Roanoke boarding platform Updated: Oct-07-15 8:15 am
ROANOKE, Virginia - The Federal Railroad Administration says the boarding platform at a planned Amtrak station in Roanoke is too low.
- Work environment at Motor Vehicle Division being probed Updated: Oct-07-15 8:01 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - North Dakota Human Resources Management Services is investigating the state Transportation Department's Motor Vehicle Division, after former employees characterized the work environment as stressful and hostile.
- Dictator's son says Filipinos care less about Marcos abuses Updated: Oct-07-15 7:16 am
MANILA, Philippines - The son of late strongman Ferdinand Marcos said Wednesday that Filipinos are no longer concerned about human rights abuses committed under his father's rule, angering activists who said he wants people to forget his father's dictatorship, which a popular revolt ended 29 years ago.
- Cleveland appeals 'jock tax' ruling to US Supreme Court Updated: Oct-07-15 7:14 am
CLEVELAND - The city of Cleveland says it is within its rights to tax visiting professional athletes based on the number of games they play a year because taxation is a matter of local jurisdiction.
- Fargo pastor resigns over gay marriage decision Updated: Oct-07-15 6:41 am
FARGO, North Dakota - A pastor is leaving his post at a Fargo church due to the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in June to legalize same-sex marriages nationwide.
- BLM plans prescribed burn in Canon City area Updated: Oct-07-15 6:15 am
CANON CITY, Colorado - The federal Bureau of Land Management plans a prescribed burn to control wildfire danger about 15 miles northwest of Canon City.
- Coast Guard suspends search for man in Pamlico River Updated: Oct-07-15 4:32 am
WASHINGTON, North Carolina - The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search for a 53-year-old man in the Pamlico River.
- McCarthy's pledge to conservatives: 'I'm not John Boehner' Updated: Oct-07-15 4:31 am
WASHINGTON - House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy is promising conservative GOP lawmakers "I'm not John Boehner" as he seeks their support to replace Boehner as speaker.
- Biden backing Asia trade pact despite union opposition Updated: Oct-07-15 4:24 am
WASHINGTON - Labor groups have a warning for Vice President Joe Biden as he lobbies for a major trade pact with Asia: We won't forget this if you run for president.
- Ex-Army Corps spokesman pleads guilty to child pornography charges Updated: Oct-07-15 3:20 am
HARRISONBURG, Virginia - A Winchester man has pleaded guilty to child pornography charges.
- Monitor for Cleveland consent decree to meet with council Updated: Oct-07-15 3:16 am
CLEVELAND - Members of Cleveland City Council's Safety Committee are scheduled to meet with the newly appointed monitor who will oversee implementation of an agreement aimed at reforming the city's troubled police department.
- NY Air Guard unit completes 1st solo drone combat mission Updated: Oct-07-15 3:05 am
NIAGARA FALLS, New York - A western New York-based Air National Guard unit that has made the shift from flying manned aircraft to operating remotely piloted drones has completed its first operational mission overseas without the help of other U.S. air units.
- Financial regulators move to restrict forced arbitration Updated: Oct-07-15 1:49 am
NEW YORK - The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is considering rules that would severely curtail a contentious practice called forced arbitration, which consumer advocates have long argued does a disservice to people who have disputes with banks, credit card issuers and other financial service providers.
- Medicaid plan gets first public hearing but no vote yet Updated: Oct-06-15 10:25 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - State lawmakers held the first public hearing Tuesday evening on a new plan to help thousands of Utah's poor get health insurance by expanding Medicaid. They didn't take any action on the plan, however, after hearing hours of testimony from doctors, advocates for the poor and more.
- AP INVESTIGATION: Nuclear smugglers sought terrorist buyers Updated: Oct-06-15 9:08 pm
CHISINAU, Moldova - The Associated Press has learned that gangs with Russian ties are driving a thriving black market in nuclear materials in eastern Europe, often with the explicit intent of connecting sellers to Middle Eastern extremist groups.
- Supreme Court to hear capital cases roiling Kansas politics Updated: Oct-06-15 8:13 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The U.S. Supreme Court is preparing to consider reinstating death sentences for two brothers convicted in the notorious slayings of four people in Kansas, capital cases that roiled the state's politics and have prompted calls to remake its judiciary.