- Herbert, Chaffetz cruise to wins in high turnout primary Updated: Jun-29-16 4:35 am
SALT LAKE CITY - Incumbent Republicans Gov. Gary Herbert and U.S. Rep. Jason Chaffetz are headed toward November as heavy favorites after primary voters turned out in record numbers and overwhelmingly endorsed their re-election bids.
- Colorado GOP picks Darryl Glenn to challenge Michael Bennet Updated: Jun-29-16 4:32 am
DENVER - Darryl Glenn, a county commissioner from deeply conservative Colorado Springs, rode endorsements from Sen. Ted Cruz and other big names on the right to win Colorado's Republican Senate primary and face a well-funded Democratic Sen. Michael Bennet in November.
- US compensates family of child killed in motorcade incident Updated: Jun-29-16 4:02 am
WASHINGTON - Hoping to make amends for a tragic accident, the United States has provided a wide range of compensation to a Cameroonian family whose child was killed by a vehicle in U.N. Ambassador Samantha Power's motorcade. The package included everything from cash to cows, U.S. officials said.
- 'Move on' from Benghazi? Republicans say it's unlikely Updated: Jun-29-16 3:55 am
WASHINGTON - Hillary Clinton says it's "time to move on" after a congressional report on the deadly 2012 Benghazi attacks accused the Obama administration of lethal mistakes, but produced no "smoking gun" pointing to wrongdoing by the former secretary of state.
- Senate set to begin voting on Puerto Rico rescue package Updated: Jun-29-16 3:47 am
WASHINGTON - The Senate is set to begin voting on a rescue package for debt-stricken Puerto Rico, just two days before the island is expected to default on a $2 billion debt payment.
- Md., DC Democrats continuing push for gun-control laws Updated: Jun-29-16 3:46 am
WASHINGTON - Members of Congress from Maryland and the District of Columbia are continuing their push for gun-control legislation after last week's sit-in on the House floor.
- North American leaders confront rising tide of protectionism Updated: Jun-29-16 3:29 am
OTTAWA, Ontario - The leaders of North America confront a rising tide of economic protectionism and nationalism as they hold a summit Wednesday in the Canadian capital.
- Clock ticking, but tweaks in play for N. Carolina LGBT law Updated: Jun-29-16 3:17 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The window is small and the legislative strategy tricky, but GOP leaders say there's still a chance to change the North Carolina law that sparked a clash over transgender rights on the national stage.
- Crews fighting blaze at train collision site with 3 missing Updated: Jun-29-16 2:38 am
DALLAS - Three crew members were missing and one was hurt after a head-on train collision in the Texas Panhandle that caused several box cars to erupt in flames and led authorities to evacuate residents in the area.
- The Latest: Former lawmaker, Bundy lawyer, loses race Updated: Jun-29-16 1:26 am
SALT LAKE CITY - The Latest on the Utah primary election (all times local):
- Feds: WWII plane had engine damage during fatal Hudson crash Updated: Jun-29-16 1:23 am
NEW YORK - Federal investigators say an engine cylinder was damaged on a vintage World War II plane that crashed last month into the Hudson River between New York and New Jersey, killing its pilot.
- Site of Powhatan village to become national park Updated: Jun-29-16 1:07 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - The site of the village occupied by Powhatan and his daughter Pocahontas is set to become a national park.
- Oklahoma's congressmen win; 3 GOP state legislators ousted Updated: Jun-29-16 1:04 am
OKLAHOMA CITY - It turns out Oklahoma's five Republican U.S. House members had little to worry about from challengers in Tuesday's primary election, but the same couldn't be said for their GOP counterparts in the state Legislature.
- Sanders says he'll try to block Senate GMO bill Updated: Jun-29-16 12:32 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Vermont U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders says he'll try to block Senate consideration of a bill that would require nationwide labeling of food with genetically modified products, but with a less stringent labeling requirement than the one included in Vermont's law.
- Trump, LePage to appear together in Bangor, Maine Updated: Jun-29-16 12:29 am
BANGOR, Maine - Presumptive GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump is back in Maine, and he's being joined once again by Republican Gov. Paul LePage.
- College students take to social media to take on terrorism Updated: Jun-29-16 12:27 am
ROCHESTER, New York - Students at one New York college are taking to social media to tackle terrorism.
- 9-way Dem primary for Rangel's NYC seat too close to call Updated: Jun-29-16 12:03 am
ALBANY, New York - A nine-way Democratic primary race in retiring Rep. Charles Rangel's New York City district was too close to call Tuesday night.
- Body recovered from Lake Washington near I-90 bridge Updated: Jun-28-16 11:43 pm
SEATTLE - Crews have recovered a body from Lake Washington near the Interstate 90 bridge.
- The Latest: Suozzi wins Dem primary to succeed Rep. Israel Updated: Jun-28-16 11:30 pm
ALBANY, New York - The Latest on congressional primaries in New York (all times local):
- US Rep. Jerrold Nadler wins contentious primary battle in NY Updated: Jun-28-16 11:13 pm
NEW YORK - Rep. Jerrold Nadler won the Democratic primary Tuesday for a New York City congressional seat he's held for nearly a quarter-century, defeating his opponent in the first Democratic primary challenge he's faced in two decades.
- 3 incumbent GOP state legislators lose primaries Updated: Jun-28-16 11:05 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - All five of Oklahoma's U.S. House members easily beat back Republican primary challengers on Tuesday and advanced to November's general election, while U.S. Rep. Jim Bridenstine in Tulsa automatically retains his 1st District seat with his victory.
- The Latest: 'Amazing Race' contestant heads to Senate runoff Updated: Jun-28-16 11:01 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Latest on Oklahoma's primary election (all times local):
- Volkswagen settles emissions cheating for $15.3 billion Updated: Jun-28-16 10:51 pm
WASHINGTON - Volkswagen is taking a major step toward compensating owners and government regulators for its emissions cheating scandal. But it will take much longer to repair the damage to its reputation.
- The Latest: Clinton: Understands fear of foreign trade Updated: Jun-28-16 10:34 pm
WASHINGTON - The Latest on the U.S. presidential campaign (all times EDT):
- The Latest: Darryl Glenn wins GOP primary for US Senate Updated: Jun-28-16 9:44 pm
DENVER - The Latest on Colorado's primary election (all times local):