- Valeant files overdue financial report, ending debt default Updated: Apr-29-16 1:57 pm
Valeant Pharmaceuticals resolved its default on some of its $30 billion in debt by finally filing its long-overdue U.S. financial report for 2015 on Friday. The badly tarnished Canadian drugmaker also announced a slate of mostly new nominees for elections to its board in June.
- Grand Forks drone unit cleared to fly nationwide missions Updated: Apr-29-16 1:54 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - A county law enforcement unit in North Dakota that has been at the leading edge of unmanned aircraft development is cleared to fly drones throughout the country.
- Stutzman, Young near end of biting GOP Senate campaign Updated: Apr-29-16 1:52 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The farmer versus the Marine - those are the wholesome self-portraits the two candidates seeking Indiana's Republican nomination for U.S. Senate have tried their best to paint for voters before Tuesday's primary.
- Federal investigators fault VA review of Texas wait times Updated: Apr-29-16 1:36 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Federal authorities have determined that an investigation by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs into the manipulation of wait times for Texas veterans seeking care was "deficient and unreasonable."
- Feds call for judge to disband police in polygamous towns Updated: Apr-29-16 1:33 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The federal government is asking a judge to disband the police department in polygamous towns on the Utah-Arizona border found guilty of violating the constitutional rights of nonbelievers.
- Appeals court: Amtrak can't have regulatory role Updated: Apr-29-16 1:33 pm
WASHINGTON - A federal appeals court has once again ruled that Congress can't give Amtrak power to impose rail standards on other private railroads.
- Colorado's Jon Keyser makes state GOP US Senate primary Updated: Apr-29-16 1:32 pm
DENVER - Colorado Republican U.S. Senate hopeful Jon Keyser will appear on his party's primary after all, a Denver judge ruled Friday.
- FDA reconsiders training requirements for painkillers Updated: Apr-29-16 1:31 pm
WASHINGTON - The Food and Drug Administration is reconsidering whether doctors who prescribe painkillers like OxyContin should be required to take safety training courses, according to federal documents released Friday.
- Man fined $100,000 for pointing laser at ferry wheelhouse Updated: Apr-29-16 1:26 pm
SEATTLE - U.S. Coast Guard officials have fined a Washington man $100,000 for allegedly pointing a high-powered laser at the ship's wheelhouse last October.
- Vegas water district official departs, FBI probing purchases Updated: Apr-29-16 1:23 pm
LAS VEGAS - At least one former Las Vegas water district official is no longer on the payroll, and federal authorities are investigating allegations that a purchasing agent made $4 million worth of unauthorized purchases that were shipped to a New Jersey address.
- The Latest: Kansas governor's aide criticizes new tax plan Updated: Apr-29-16 1:19 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Latest on the Kansas Legislature. (all times local):
- US: China rejects Hong Kong port call by US aircraft carrier Updated: Apr-29-16 1:15 pm
WASHINGTON - China recently denied a request from a U.S. aircraft carrier for a port visit in Hong Kong, the State Department said Friday, in an apparent sign of mounting tension in the disputed South China Sea.
- Punishments but no criminal charges in US attack on hospital Updated: Apr-29-16 1:10 pm
WASHINGTON - A U.S. aerial gunship attack on a hospital in Afghanistan that killed 42 people occurred because of human errors, process mistakes and equipment failures, and none of the aircrew or U.S. ground troops knew the target was a hospital, a top U.S. general said Friday.
- Supreme Court refuses to block Texas voter ID law Updated: Apr-29-16 1:09 pm
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court on Friday rejected an emergency appeal to stop Texas from enforcing its challenged voter ID law. But the court said it could revisit the issue as the November elections approach.
- Senior Pentagon official criticizes House Benghazi probe Updated: Apr-29-16 1:07 pm
WASHINGTON - A senior Pentagon official is criticizing the House Republican-led investigation into the deadly September 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya, over a "crescendo" of requests to the Defense Department.
- Ole Miss to investigate Tunsil's comments on receiving cash Updated: Apr-29-16 12:59 pm
Mississippi will investigate former offensive lineman Laremy Tunsil's comments that he accepted money from a member of the football staff while playing at the school.
- Norovirus sickens 159 on cruise ship docked in Norfolk Updated: Apr-29-16 12:58 pm
NORFOLK, Virginia - Passengers on a cruise ship docked in Virginia have been sickened with norovirus.
- The Latest: Arizona House set to debate budget bills Updated: Apr-29-16 12:40 pm
PHOENIX - The Latest on legislative action an Arizona budget proposal (all times local):
- Are you ready to replace your moisturizer with a pill? Updated: Apr-29-16 12:22 pm
MIAMI - The makeup industry is trying to convince women that looking good on the outside starts from within - but it's unclear whether the products they're trying to hawk are safe and effective.
- Sweeping cuts to drug sentences put Legislature on notice Updated: Apr-29-16 12:16 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota county attorneys and law enforcement officials say they've reached a deal to make broad reductions to prison sentences for drug offenders.
- North Korea sends another US citizen to prison Updated: Apr-29-16 12:01 pm
PYONGYANG, North Korea - North Korea on Friday sentenced a U.S. citizen of Korean heritage to 10 years in prison with hard labor after convicting him of espionage and subversion, the second American it has put behind bars this year.
- Fort Leavenworth commanding general departs for Hawaii post Updated: Apr-29-16 11:59 am
FORT LEAVENWORTH, Kansas - The commanding general of Fort Leavenworth in Kansas has been picked to lead the U.S. Army Pacific in Hawaii.
- 50-year deal could help American shad get over Conowingo Dam Updated: Apr-29-16 11:58 am
CONOWINGO, Maryland - A 50-year deal could help millions of American shad get over the Conowingo Dam.
- Auto dealer's son arrested, business raided by FBI in Reno Updated: Apr-29-16 11:48 am
RENO, Nevada - Reports say the son of a Reno auto dealer was arrested and federal agents searched a dealership and home in what the U.S. attorney's office is calling an ongoing investigation.
- Feds seek to join suit against Idaho's public defense system Updated: Apr-29-16 11:47 am
BOISE, Idaho - The U.S. Department of Justice and U.S. Attorney Wendy Olson are requesting to weigh in on a class-action lawsuit against Idaho's public defense system.