- Kansas lawmakers weigh budget-fix plan: Dump it on Brownback Updated: May-01-16 2:36 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Top Republicans in the Kansas Legislature hope to finish work Sunday on a plan for balancing a state budget that would require GOP Gov. Sam Brownback to do most of the work.
- The Latest: Kansas House delays debate on budget plan Updated: May-01-16 1:01 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Latest on the Kansas Legislature (all times local):
- The Latest: Trump backers yell foul over Arizona party loss Updated: Apr-30-16 9:02 pm
MESA, Arizona - The Latest on the Arizona Republican Party convention (all times local):
- Time running out on Connecticut legislative session Updated: Apr-30-16 8:11 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Time is quickly running out for Connecticut lawmakers to finish their work this legislative session, including a revised budget for the new fiscal year that's projected to be $960 million in deficit.
- Cruz wins majority of delegates at Virginia convention Updated: Apr-30-16 7:56 pm
HARRISONBURG, Virginia - Supporters of U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz prevailed over backers of front-runner Donald Trump in a fight Saturday over delegates to the national Republican party convention, delegates that could help decide who becomes the GOP presidential nominee.
- Connecticut House votes to toughen school threats penalty Updated: Apr-30-16 7:26 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut lawmakers are moving closer toward imposing tougher criminal penalties against those who threaten schools.
- Many Missouri Trump delegates aren't his supporters Updated: Apr-30-16 7:21 pm
BALLWIN, Missouri - Donald Trump earned 37 of Missouri's 52 delegates to the Republican National Convention when he won the March 15 primary, but as the state party began selecting delegates on Saturday, the New York businessman can't count on that level of support unless he clinches a first-ballot nomination.
- The Latest: Former congressman Hayes back as party chairman Updated: Apr-30-16 7:10 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The Latest on North Carolina Republican Party activists meeting Saturday to consider a petition to remove the state party's chairman (all times local):
- Arkansas Republicans select 12 delegates to GOP convention Updated: Apr-30-16 6:49 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas Republicans have met in each of the state's four congressional districts to select 12 delegates to the GOP National Convention in July.
- The Latest: Massachusetts Republicans elect 27 delegates Updated: Apr-30-16 6:12 pm
BOSTON - The Latest on Massachusetts Republicans selecting delegates at nine caucuses (all times local):
- The Latest: Many Missouri Trump delegates aren't supporters Updated: Apr-30-16 5:42 pm
BALLWIN, Missouri - The Latest on Missouri's congressional district Republican conventions (all times local):
- Boozman, Eldridge split over health care at APME forum Updated: Apr-30-16 3:05 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Poor people on Arkansas' hybrid Medicaid expansion could still get coverage under a block-grant system if President Barack Obama's health overhaul is repealed, Republican Sen. John Boozman said Saturday.
- Tobacco tax for Medicaid plan faces challenge in Oklahoma Updated: Apr-30-16 2:12 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - A plan to shift coverage for some of Oklahoma's Medicaid recipients in order to trigger an infusion of federal funding appears to be gaining support among Republican lawmakers, but the idea of funding it with a tobacco tax is facing uphill sledding in the GOP-controlled Legislature.
- Senate candidate paid relative $170K for past campaign work Updated: Apr-30-16 12:49 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - An Indiana Senate candidate who has railed against out-of-control government spending paid his brother-in-law nearly $170,000 to manage the finances of his congressional campaign. The relative worked as a car salesman and actor but had no experience rounding up political donations.
- Bills borrowing for schools, roads meet crossover deadline Updated: Apr-30-16 11:44 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Bills to borrow money to repair South Carolina's crumbling roads and public schools are among those clearing Sunday's crossover deadline, while measures not likely to make it include those strengthening penalties for killing a K-9.
- News Guide: A look at other primary races in West Virginia Updated: Apr-30-16 11:36 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - They're not running for president, governor, Congress or the state Supreme Court, yet some candidates in West Virginia's May 10 primary are hoping for the chance to earn their party's nominations for several statewide offices. Here is a summary of those races:
- House, Senate adjourn without reaching budget deal Updated: Apr-30-16 1:53 am
PHOENIX - The Legislature adjourned for the weekend as negotiations over the state's $9.58 billion budget package fell apart in the House late Friday night before a deal could be reached.
- The Latest: Legislature done for weekend amid budget chaos Updated: Apr-30-16 12:48 am
PHOENIX - The Latest on legislative action an Arizona budget proposal (all times local):
- Bill allowing medical marijuana for kids clears Senate Updated: Apr-29-16 11:52 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A bill that that would allow minors with certain debilitating conditions to use Connecticut's medical marijuana program has cleared its final legislative hurdle.
- Hawaii lawmakers negotiate dozens of bills before deadline Updated: Apr-29-16 11:23 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii lawmakers negotiated final details on dozens of bills ahead of a major legislative deadline, rushing around the capitol and huddling in groups and trying to reach last-minute agreements.
- The Latest: Hawaii advances bills on hot classrooms, ferries Updated: Apr-29-16 11:04 pm
HONOLULU - The Latest on the Hawaii Legislature negotiating dozens of bills before a deadline (all times local):
- Ex-Sen. Bryan only 2nd on UNR campus honored with statue Updated: Apr-29-16 10:21 pm
RENO, Nevada - Former U.S. Sen. and Nevada Gov. Richard Bryan has become only the second person in the history of the University of Nevada, Reno to have a statue dedicated in his honor at the school founded in 1874.
- Connecticut votes to criminalize attaching weapons to drones Updated: Apr-29-16 10:14 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Those who attach weapons to drones in Connecticut could soon face a serious criminal penalty.
- Illegal camping out of bill allowing Airbnb to collect taxes Updated: Apr-29-16 9:27 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii lawmakers have advanced a bill that would allow online brokers such as Airbnb to collect taxes on behalf of people advertising private rentals on the websites, but they removed part of the proposal that would have targeted illegal camping ads by requiring online brokers to verify the legality of their listings.
- Lawmakers agree budget; Planned Parenthood funding survives Updated: Apr-29-16 8:25 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Iowa Legislature on Friday adjourned its 2016 session with agreement over a roughly $7.35 billion budget, following days of private meetings that ultimately stopped an attempt by GOP lawmakers to remove state funding for Planned Parenthood.