- Ohio lawmakers won't adjust redistricting ballot issue Updated: Jun-30-15 9:43 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio's Senate president says a fall ballot issue proposing changes to Ohio's system for drawing legislative districts won't be revisited to include congressional lines as a result of a U.S. Supreme Court decision.
- DC stop of Pope Francis trip includes White House, Congress Updated: Jun-30-15 9:36 am
WASHINGTON - Pope Francis will visit both the White House and Congress when he travels to Washington as part of a visit to the United States in September.
- Court ruling spurs backers' hopes for redistricting changes Updated: Jun-30-15 7:42 am
WASHINGTON - Groups trying to curb the partisan sculpting of House districts are hoping their Supreme Court victory will prompt more states to create independent commissions to redraw congressional lines.
- Rounds presents Congressional medal to late SD man's family Updated: Jun-30-15 6:25 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - South Dakota U.S. Sen. Mike Rounds has presented the Congressional Gold Medal to the family of a man who served as a Civil Air Patrol pilot during World War II.
- AP News in Brief at 5:58 a.m. EDT Updated: Jun-30-15 6:10 am
Crunch time in Greece as bailout due to expire, IMF loan due with no deal in sight
- The Iran deal: A look at what it does and problems remaining Updated: Jun-30-15 4:29 am
VIENNA - World powers and Iran are back in nuclear talks, and this round may be the deciding one.
- GOP's Ayotte to kick off re-election campaign for US Senate Updated: Jun-30-15 3:38 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Republican Kelly Ayotte is officially entering campaign mode in her quest to keep her U.S. Senate seat.
- Questions and answers about the expiring Export-Import Bank Updated: Jun-30-15 3:37 am
WASHINGTON - The Export-Import Bank expires Tuesday at midnight for the first time since the small federal agency was created during the Depression to help U.S. businesses export their products. Congress failed to renew the bank's charter because of opposition from Republicans who say it amounts to corporate welfare. However, the shutdown may end up being only temporary.
- Senate passes $16.1 billion transportation package Updated: Jun-29-15 11:41 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - The Senate on Monday passed a $16.1 billion transportation revenue package that includes an 11.9-cent gas tax increase that would be phased in over two years.
- Thomas Kennedy, longtime Massachusetts lawmaker, dies at 63 Updated: Jun-29-15 8:01 pm
BOSTON - Massachusetts Sen. Thomas Kennedy, a Brockton Democrat who overcame an accident that required him to use a wheelchair and went on to serve in the Legislature for more than three decades, has died. He was 63.
- Democrats active early in key congressional race Updated: Jun-29-15 6:59 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - With months to go before Nevada's primary election in February, Democrats in one of Nevada's most hotly contested congressional races are already competing for endorsements and campaign cash.
- Puerto Rico to seek debt moratorium from bondholders Updated: Jun-29-15 6:32 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico's governor says he will create a financial team that will meet with bondholders and seek a moratorium on debt payments.
- Obama signs trade, worker assistance bills into law Updated: Jun-29-15 5:20 pm
WASHINGTON - In a rare bipartisan scene at the White House, President Barack Obama on Monday signed into law two hard-fought bills giving him greater authority to negotiate international trade deals and providing aid to workers whose jobs are displaced by such pacts.
- McConnell: Export-Import Bank supporters have the votes Updated: Jun-29-15 4:57 pm
WASHINGTON - The supporters of the federal Export-Import Bank have the Senate votes to revive it and will get a chance to do so, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Monday.
- Indian tribe recognition process overhauled Updated: Jun-29-15 4:54 pm
WASHINGTON - Some Indian tribes may have a clearer path toward federal recognition under a new Obama administration rule that relaxes some requirements and speeds decision-making, potentially affecting hundreds of groups.
- McConnell: New trade deal triumph despite partisan divide Updated: Jun-29-15 4:44 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - The brief alliance of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell with President Barack Obama to pass trade legislation last week marked a triumph amid divided government, McConnell said Monday, and he offered to work together across partisan lines to shore up Medicare and Social Security for future generations.
- ND unlikely to extend anti-discrimination protection to gays Updated: Jun-29-15 4:37 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - David Hamilton and his husband, Bernie Erickson, say they're "thrilled" the U.S. Supreme Court has allowed gay marriage nationally, but the Fargo couple believes anti-discrimination protections for gays and lesbians are still lacking in North Dakota.
- California lawmakers applaud decision in redistricting case Updated: Jun-29-15 4:25 pm
WASHINGTON - Members of California's congressional delegation on Monday applauded the U.S. Supreme Court's decision upholding the use of independent commissions to configure electoral districts.
- US Supreme Court upholds Arizona congressional maps Updated: Jun-29-15 4:01 pm
PHOENIX - The U.S. Supreme Court refused Monday to throw out Arizona's voter-approved system for redrawing congressional district lines - a major loss for Republicans in the Arizona Legislature that keeps the current maps in place for seven more years.
- Dayton decision on cabinet member pay raises due this week Updated: Jun-29-15 3:22 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The one-day window for Gov. Mark Dayton to raise the pay of state agency commissioners arrives on Wednesday.
- Court upholds redistricting in Montana, 12 other states Updated: Jun-29-15 3:20 pm
HELENA, Montana - The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday upheld independent redistricting commissions in Montana and 12 other states, though members of the Montana panel say their work would not have changed regardless of how the court ruled because the state has just one congressional district.
- Democratic Sen. McGuire says she'll explore 1st District run Updated: Jun-29-15 3:19 pm
PHOENIX - Democratic state Sen. Barbara McGuire says she's launching a committee to explore a run for the 1st Congressional District seat currently held by Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick.
- White House: No federal bailout for Puerto Rico Updated: Jun-29-15 2:12 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House threw cold water Monday on the notion of bailing out Puerto Rico from its financial crisis, instead urging Congress to consider changing the law so the island can declare bankruptcy.
- Democratic state lawmaker won't make Indiana's US Senate bid Updated: Jun-29-15 1:28 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A state lawmaker considered a possible Democratic candidate for the U.S. Senate next year has decided against entering the race.
- A look at 13 states using redistricting commissions Updated: Jun-29-15 11:51 am
The Constitution requires boundaries for U.S. House districts to be redrawn after each census. While that task typically is done by state legislatures, 13 states use commissions as part of their congressional redistricting process. The amount of legislative involvement with those commissions varies by state.