- Time of tumult for House Republicans seeking new leadership Updated: Oct-03-15 2:21 pm
WASHINGTON - It's a tumultuous time for House Republicans, and leadership elections this coming week may only heighten the disarray. Dissatisfied lawmakers are casting about for new choices and a surprise longshot challenger is emerging in the speaker's race.
- SC's Tim Scott plays role in GOP race with candidate forums Updated: Oct-03-15 12:52 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - More than 2,000 voters, from college students to those of retirement age, packed a Columbia theater recently to see for themselves what it's like to experience businessman Donald Trump up close and personal.
- Kansas Rep. Huelskamp has no favored speaker candidate yet Updated: Oct-02-15 6:15 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas congressman Tim Huelskamp says the next U.S. House speaker faces rebuilding the trust of his fellow conservatives.
- Obama: No more temporary spending bills, budget deal needed Updated: Oct-02-15 6:11 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama said Friday he won't sign another temporary government funding bill after the current one expires Dec. 11, insisting that congressional Republicans and Democrats work out a long-term budget deal with the White House.
- Q&A: Gun control prospects in GOP-run Congress remain remote Updated: Oct-02-15 5:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Another mass shooting, another appearance by a stricken-looking President Barack Obama expressing anguish and frustration over congressional inaction on gun control laws.
- Ex-City Council president seeks divorce from US Rep. Conyers Updated: Oct-02-15 5:33 pm
DETROIT - Disgraced former Detroit City Council president Monica Conyers has filed for divorce from her husband of 25 years, Democratic U.S. Rep. John Conyers.
- Obama: I won't negotiate over raising US borrowing cap Updated: Oct-02-15 4:45 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama says he won't give Republicans controlling Congress concessions on must-pass legislation to increase the government's borrowing cap.
- AP Sources: Chaffetz to seek speaker bid against McCarthy Updated: Oct-02-15 4:29 pm
WASHINGTON - Republican Rep. Jason Chaffetz of Utah is planning to run for House speaker in a surprise longshot challenge to House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy.
- Former US Rep. Don Edwards, champion of civil rights, dies Updated: Oct-02-15 4:12 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Former U.S. Rep. Don Edwards of California, a longtime champion of civil rights and the environment during his three decades in Washington, has died at the age of 100.
- Goat sacrifice, talk of civil war upset Florida Libertarians Updated: Oct-02-15 4:03 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Two years ago, Augustus Sol Invictus walked from central Florida to the Mojave Desert and spent a week fasting and praying, at times thinking he wouldn't survive. In a pagan ritual to give thanks when he returned home, he killed a goat and drank its blood.
- Dayton slams GOP call to scrap MNsure after rate hikes Updated: Oct-02-15 12:17 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Gov. Mark Dayton is criticizing Republicans' call to abolish MNsure as a way to counter hefty health insurance hikes.
- Minnesota governor isn't counting on big changes to gun laws Updated: Oct-02-15 12:10 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton is downplaying the prospect for significant gun law changes in the wake of the latest mass shooting at an Oregon community college.
- Senators from the Dakotas make friendly bet on football game Updated: Oct-02-15 12:08 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - North Dakota U.S. Sen. John Hoeven and South Dakota U.S. Sen. John Thune have made a friendly wager on the outcome on Saturday's football game between North Dakota State University and South Dakota State.
- Wichita lawyer Giroux announces challenge to US Rep. Pompeo Updated: Oct-02-15 11:28 am
WICHITA, Kansas - A Democratic Wichita attorney who once served as an assistant prosecutor said he will try to unseat Republican Congressman Mike Pompeo next year.
- Ohio sheriff won't seek Speaker Boehner's House seat Updated: Oct-02-15 8:49 am
HAMILTON, Ohio - A southwest Ohio sheriff has decided to stay out of the race for the U.S. House seat being vacated by Speaker John Boehner (BAY'-nur).
- In FIFA crisis, politicians must turn up the heat for change Updated: Oct-02-15 7:54 am
PARIS - Here's a cheery thought for those despairing of the unrelenting disaster that is FIFA. In Chinese, the word "crisis" is formed from two characters: "danger" and "opportunity." As grim as things look at the top of football, there may still be a chance to salvage a brighter future from the scorched earth of Sepp Blatter's reign.
- Senators reach deal to reduce prison time for some offenders Updated: Oct-01-15 11:25 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate conservatives and liberals on Thursday united behind an overhaul of the criminal justice system, a rare bipartisan agreement that would allow some nonviolent drug offenders to get reduced prison sentences and give judges greater discretion in sentencing.
- Rubio, Huckabee name campaign leaders in North Carolina Updated: Oct-01-15 7:36 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - More Republican presidential hopefuls are rolling out their campaign's leading political supporters for their bids in North Carolina.
- Board postpones vote on another Planned Parenthood review Updated: Oct-01-15 6:51 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina's Legislative Audit Council postponed voting Thursday on whether to launch another state investigation into Planned Parenthood.
- Congress passes bill easing small business health law rules Updated: Oct-01-15 6:42 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress approved bipartisan legislation Thursday aimed at preventing premium increases that some smaller businesses were expecting next year under President Barack Obama's health care law.
- Williams challenging Hubbard for speakership Updated: Oct-01-15 6:14 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Republican Rep. Phil Williams said Thursday that he is challenging Mike Hubbard to be speaker of the House, saying he believes the House needs fresh leadership to restore confidence in the speaker's office.
- Treasury: Nov. 5 deadline for Congress to act on debt limit Updated: Oct-01-15 6:07 pm
WASHINGTON - The deadline for Congress to increase the government's borrowing limit is coming earlier than expected, moving up to about Nov. 5.
- Volkswagen Group of America head to testify before Congress Updated: Oct-01-15 6:01 pm
WASHINGTON - The head of Volkswagen Group of America will testify before a House subcommittee Oct. 8.
- Tea Party leader opposing Rep. Roby in Ala 2nd District Updated: Oct-01-15 4:51 pm
WETUMPKA, Alabama - A Tea Party leader is opposing Republican Rep. Martha Roby for Congress in Alabama's 2nd District.
- Democrats block veterans funding bill as budget talks loom Updated: Oct-01-15 4:25 pm
WASHINGTON - Democrats on Thursday blocked the Senate from turning to a $78 billion spending measure for the Department of Veterans Affairs and military base construction. They and the White House argue that it's part of an overall GOP budget framework that shortchanges spending on other domestic programs.