- Senators: More must be done to prevent future wildfires Updated: Aug-27-15 8:10 pm
SEATTLE - As Washington and other Western states battle huge blazes this summer, two U.S. senators said at a field hearing in Seattle that more needs to be done to prepare for and help prevent future wildfires.
- Pro-Vitter super PAC kicks off $2M TV ad campaign Friday Updated: Aug-27-15 7:24 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The super PAC created to boost David Vitter's candidacy for governor is starting its hefty $2 million advertising blitz a bit unexpectedly, praising the Republican U.S. senator rather than trashing his competitors.
- Obama calls on Congress to pass budget without drama Updated: Aug-27-15 6:17 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is highlighting good economic news during a period of wildly erratic stock markets to make the case the United States remains an anchor of global strength.
- Delaware lawmakers eye budget vote procedures Updated: Aug-27-15 6:02 pm
NEW CASTLE, Delaware - Democratic leaders of the legislature's budget-writing committee don't seem interested in changing voting requirements for passage of the state's annual spending plan.
- Planned Parenthood alleges 'smear' in letter to Congress Updated: Aug-27-15 5:41 pm
LOS ANGELES - Planned Parenthood Federation of America defended its practices Thursday in a lengthy letter to congressional leaders and included a report by experts it hired who found undercover videos of officials discussing fetal tissue for research were heavily altered by anti-abortion activists.
- Congressman, North Carolina lawmakers supporting Jeb Bush Updated: Aug-27-15 5:40 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A congressman and key General Assembly leaders are atop Jeb Bush's campaign support group in North Carolina.
- Trump, Cruz to hold joint event to blast Iran deal Updated: Aug-27-15 5:17 pm
GREENVILLE, South Carolina - GOP presidential candidates Donald Trump and Ted Cruz are expected to headline a Capitol Hill rally against President Obama's proposed nuclear agreement with Iran, both candidates confirmed Thursday.
- Lankford criticizes Iran deal, EPA during chamber luncheon Updated: Aug-27-15 4:48 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - U.S. Sen. James Lankford criticized the Obama administration on Thursday for the Iran nuclear deal and the Environmental Protection Agency for its interpretation of federal law during a speech before the Edmond Chamber of Commerce.
- New stopgap spending bill approved by N. Carolina lawmakers Updated: Aug-27-15 3:59 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The General Assembly quickly passed another temporary spending measure Thursday directing how North Carolina government should operate while Republicans leaders remain knotted in a budget stalemate.
- Documents: Workers had no way to issue warning after spill Updated: Aug-27-15 3:38 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - Members of a federal cleanup crew were initially trapped and unable to warn downstream communities that they had accidentally unleashed toxic waste water from a Colorado gold mine, according to government documents released Thursday.
- Clinton likens GOP's views on women to those of terrorists Updated: Aug-27-15 2:55 pm
CLEVELAND - Hillary Rodham Clinton on Thursday drew parallels between terrorist organizations and the field of Republican candidates for president when it comes to their views on women, telling an Ohio audience her potential GOP rivals were pushing "out of date" policies.
- US senator: Cultural change needed to stop human trafficking Updated: Aug-27-15 2:50 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - While laws are changing to reflect the reality that child prostitutes are victims, cultural attitudes also need to change, U.S. Sen. Rob Portman said Thursday after hearing from experts and a survivor of child trafficking.
- Warren, coy on whether to seek re-election, stockpiles cash Updated: Aug-27-15 2:08 pm
BOSTON - U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren is stockpiling campaign cash from liberal supporters across the country even though she hasn't committed to a 2018 re-election bid.
- NY Congresswoman Maloney intends to vote against Iran deal Updated: Aug-27-15 10:29 am
NEW YORK - Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney is the latest New York lawmaker to oppose President Barack Obama's Iran nuclear agreement.
- Amelia Boynton Robinson noted as fearless, tireless leader Updated: Aug-27-15 2:46 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A newspaper photo of a woman who was beaten unconscious by law enforcement during a march across the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama, revealed to a wider audience the struggles and violence black people faced while fighting for the right to vote.
- Candidates looking to replace Schock face off over economy Updated: Aug-26-15 11:00 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Two candidates seeking to serve the remainder of former U.S. Rep. Aaron Schock's term offered up during a debate Wednesday different views about how to improve the economy of the 18th Congressional District.
- Prosecutors say congressman seeking to influence jurors Updated: Aug-26-15 10:19 pm
PHILADELPHIA - U.S. Rep. Chaka Fattah has tried to influence potential jurors in his racketeering case by publicly boasting about his accomplishments in Congress, federal prosecutors said Wednesday.
- Montana Editorial Roundup Updated: Aug-26-15 7:22 pm
The Billings Gazette, Aug. 21, on health coverage for Montanans:
- Report: Solyndra misrepresented facts to get loan guarantee Updated: Aug-26-15 6:31 pm
WASHINGTON - A four-year investigation has concluded that officials of the solar company Solyndra misrepresented facts and omitted key information in their efforts to get a $535 million loan guarantee from the federal government.
- Former Little Rock school board member running for US House Updated: Aug-26-15 6:22 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A former member of the Little Rock School Board said Wednesday she's running for a U.S. House seat in central Arkansas, the first Democrat to launch a congressional bid in the state for 2016.
- Missouri Congressman's brother found after missing 2 days Updated: Aug-26-15 5:51 pm
SALEM, Missouri - The brother of Missouri's Republican U.S. Rep. Jason Smith has been found safe after being reported missing earlier this week.
- Ohio League of Women Voters report says gerrymandering works Updated: Aug-26-15 12:54 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The League of Women Voters of Ohio released a report Wednesday showing gerrymandered legislative districts delivered nearly perfect results in 2012 and 2014, sending candidates of the intended political party to the Statehouse in almost 100 percent of cases.
- LePage again mulls US Senate run he once called a joke Updated: Aug-26-15 9:59 am
PORTLAND, Maine - Maine's Republican Governor Paul LePage says he is again considering a run for U.S. Senate in 2018.
- On Mississippi's shore, what Katrina erased not yet replaced Updated: Aug-26-15 5:16 am
LONG BEACH, Mississippi - Between Mississippi's seashore and the railroad tracks a little ways inland, where Hurricane Katrina all but erased a neighborhood 10 years ago, Efrem Garza and a handful of other homeowners are still resettling a frontier.
- Todd Strange wins re-election as Montgomery mayor Updated: Aug-25-15 10:47 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Montgomery Mayor Todd Strange has won re-election, beating back a field of challengers that included former Alabama congressman Artur Davis.