- Congressman proposes naming post office for Maya Angelou Updated: Oct-09-15 5:14 pm
WASHINGTON - North Carolina Rep. Alma Adams has introduced a resolution to name a post office in Winston-Salem for poet and author Maya Angelou.
- State senator joins crowded field for Rep. Rangel's seat Updated: Oct-09-15 5:10 pm
NEW YORK - A longtime New York state senator is running to fill the congressional seat being vacated by Rep. Charles Rangel.
- Menendez appealing judge's rulings in corruption case Updated: Oct-09-15 4:55 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Attorneys for U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez of New Jersey filed notice Friday that they will appeal a judge's rulings rejecting their arguments to dismiss his corruption indictment.
- US abandons Pentagon's failed rebel-building effort in Syria Updated: Oct-09-15 4:53 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is overhauling its approach to fighting the Islamic State in Syria, abandoning a failed Pentagon effort to build a new ground force of moderate rebels and instead partnering with established rebel groups, officials said Friday.
- Divided House Republicans see savior in Paul Ryan Updated: Oct-09-15 4:46 pm
WASHINGTON - Endlessly divided, House Republicans pleaded with Rep. Paul Ryan on Friday to rescue them from their damaging leadership vacuum. But the GOP's 2012 vice presidential nominee showed little appetite for the prestigious yet thankless job of speaker of the House.
- Petition drive assures House vote to revive Ex-Im Bank Updated: Oct-09-15 3:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Several dozen Republicans teamed up with Democrats Friday to assure a House vote on reviving the U.S. Export-Import Bank, giving the effort to save the bank new life more than three months after its charter lapsed.
- Judge orders overhaul of Florida's congressional districts Updated: Oct-09-15 3:50 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - A Florida judge called Friday for a sweeping overhaul of the state's 27 congressional districts, including the one held by a candidate seeking to become the next U.S. House speaker.
- Johnson says Ryan is only Republican who can unify House Updated: Oct-09-15 3:09 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan is the only Republican who can unify the GOP in a fractured House, U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson said Friday.
- ND delegation applauds House vote to lift ban on oil exports Updated: Oct-09-15 2:19 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Members of North Dakota's congressional delegation are pleased the U.S. House has approved a bill to lift a 40-year U.S. ban on crude oil exports.
- Rhode Island officials call on Congress to stop gun violence Updated: Oct-09-15 2:19 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island lawmakers, law enforcement officials and advocates are calling on Congress to act to stop gun violence.
- Analysis: GOP is party desperately in search of a leader Updated: Oct-09-15 2:12 pm
WASHINGTON - The GOP is a party in chaos, desperately in search of a leader.
- Rep. Ellmers addresses House GOP on email rumors Updated: Oct-09-15 2:07 pm
WASHINGTON - A North Carolina congresswoman thanked fellow Republicans for their support Friday after many received incendiary emails alleging an affair between her and House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, according to two Republicans in the closed-door meeting.
- North Dakota delegation applauds court's waterways ruling Updated: Oct-09-15 1:34 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - North Dakota's congressional delegation is applauding a federal appeals court ruling in Cincinnati that blocks nationwide an Obama administration rule giving the federal government jurisdiction over some smaller waterways.
- House bill targets health law, Planned Parenthood funds Updated: Oct-09-15 12:55 pm
WASHINGTON - The House Budget Committee approved Republican legislation Friday that would scuttle President Barack Obama's health care law, block federal payments to Planned Parenthood - and likely lead to a presidential veto.
- Poll: Guinta's support eroding amid financing scandal Updated: Oct-09-15 12:53 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A new poll shows that 50 percent of New Hampshire residents surveyed think U.S. Rep. Frank Guinta should resign amid his campaign finance troubles and 4 percent said they would back his re-election bid next year.
- Donald Trump says Bowe Bergdahl should have been executed Updated: Oct-09-15 7:43 am
LAS VEGAS - Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump said Thursday that Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl should have been executed for leaving his post in Afghanistan.
- Congress marks 60th anniversary of Indiana championship team Updated: Oct-09-15 7:23 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Two federal lawmakers representing Indiana are among those honoring the 60th anniversary of an Indianapolis high school's historic championship basketball team.
- US treasury secretary blames Congress for debt limit delays Updated: Oct-08-15 9:21 pm
LIMA, Peru - U.S. Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew admonished Congress on Thursday for not moving fast enough to raise the government borrowing limit at a time of heightened fragility in the global economy.
- Al Franken working on book about his years in Washington Updated: Oct-08-15 7:52 pm
NEW YORK - U.S. Sen. Al Franken is not done with his career as an author.
- Minnesota partisan divide to remain in new Senate office Updated: Oct-08-15 7:26 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota's now-scattered 67 state senators are planning their move into offices under one roof for the first time anyone can recall.
- Obama nominates Seiler for US Attorney in South Dakota Updated: Oct-08-15 6:51 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - President Barack Obama nominated on Thursday longtime federal prosecutor Randolph Seiler to be the next U.S. attorney for the District of South Dakota.
- Court document: State senator owes for nonprofit expenses Updated: Oct-08-15 6:19 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Travel expense claims submitted by a Democratic state senator and his wife were called "improper" Thursday by a court-appointed receiver examining the finances of a Minneapolis nonprofit group that was shut down last year.
- BMV: Reforms underway but will take years to complete Updated: Oct-08-15 6:15 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Significant reforms are underway at the troubled Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles, officials said Thursday, but noted those will likely take several years to carry out and won't come from "quick fixes" to the agency, which in recent years has overcharged motorists millions of dollars in fees.
- Judges say crumbling San Antonio courthouse is unsafe Updated: Oct-08-15 5:33 pm
SAN ANTONIO - Members of the Texas Congressional delegation are trying to get approval and funding for a new federal courthouse in San Antonio to replace a building that judges who work there say is crumbling and unsafe.
- Former US Rep. John Dingell, 89, getting heart pacemaker Updated: Oct-08-15 4:38 pm
DETROIT - Former U.S. Rep. John Dingell, the longest-serving member of Congress in U.S. history, is having a pacemaker placed in his heart.