- Cabinet secretaries on Capitol Hill again to sell Iran deal Updated: Jul-28-15 3:28 am
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration's vigorous effort to sell the Iran nuclear deal to Congress continues - this time in the House where three Cabinet secretaries will face tough questioning on Tuesday from skeptical Democrats and Republicans.
- Short-term highway extension may be way out for Congress Updated: Jul-28-15 3:26 am
WASHINGTON - House Republicans are weighing a three-month highway funding extension that could offer Congress a way out of an impasse days ahead of a crucial deadline.
- 5 things to know about the fight over the Export-Import Bank Updated: Jul-28-15 3:14 am
WASHINGTON - The federal Export-Import Bank expired June 30 when Congress failed to renew its charter. The bank is a small federal agency that helps U.S. companies sell their products overseas, by underwriting loans to foreign customers. Conservatives oppose it as corporate welfare and are pushing for it to stay dead. But late Monday the Senate voted 64-29 to add legislation reviving the bank to a sweeping highway bill being considered on the floor.
- Gov. Baker to lobby for Massachusetts military Updated: Jul-28-15 2:20 am
BOSTON - Gov. Charlie Baker is headed to Washington to make the case for the state's six military installations.
- GOP House chairman calls on Obama to remove IRS commissioner Updated: Jul-27-15 8:56 pm
WASHINGTON - The Republican chairman of a powerful House committee called for the removal of the IRS commissioner Monday, saying he has obstructed congressional investigations into the treatment of conservative groups.
- Republicans draw in more money for top La. statewide races Updated: Jul-27-15 8:23 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Republicans are outraising Democrats in Louisiana's top two races on the Oct. 24 ballot, for governor and lieutenant governor - and pouring more of their own money into their competitions as well, according to the latest campaign reports.
- House backs bill to help vets who've suffered sexual assault Updated: Jul-27-15 8:03 pm
WASHINGTON - Veterans who suffered sexual assault or other sexual abuse while in uniform would get help more easily from the Department of Veterans Affairs under a bill approved Monday by the House.
- Former Indiana first lady Susan Bayh has brain tumor removed Updated: Jul-27-15 7:28 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Former Indiana first lady Susan Bayh underwent brain surgery Monday for removal of a benign tumor, and her husband said her prognosis for recovery is good.
- New England senators want a National Lobster Day this year Updated: Jul-27-15 5:47 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - A group of U.S. senators from New England say the lobster's role in the region's heritage and economy are important enough to justify a national day of celebration.
- GOP lawmakers call to arm more military members Updated: Jul-27-15 2:45 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota Republican lawmakers announced a bill in the works on Monday to allow more active duty members of the military and National Guard to carry weapons, the latest of nationwide responses to a deadly shooting at military facilities in Tennessee.
- Malaysia, Cuba taken off US human trafficking blacklist Updated: Jul-27-15 12:52 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic lawmakers and rights groups on Monday accused the State Department of politicizing its annual rankings of nations on their efforts to combat modern-day slavery, as key trading partner Malaysia was taken off a blacklist.
- Former ambassadors to Israel back Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-27-15 12:49 pm
WASHINGTON - Seven former U.S. diplomats and State Department officials sent a letter Monday to leaders in Congress urging them to support the nuclear deal with Iran.
- Senior Republicans rebuke Cruz over his attacks on McConnell Updated: Jul-26-15 9:21 pm
WASHINGTON - Senior Senate Republicans lined up Sunday to rebuke Texas Republican Sen. Ted Cruz for harshly criticizing Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, an extraordinary display of intraparty division played out live on the Senate floor.
- Rep. Langevin, advocates celebrate American Disabilities Act Updated: Jul-26-15 4:59 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island U.S. Rep. Jim Langevin joined advocates celebrating the 25th anniversary of the federal Americans With Disabilities Act, and calling for more effort to help disabled people achieve their career goals.
- Democratic senator leaning toward supporting Iran deal Updated: Jul-26-15 1:33 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia said Sunday he is leaning toward supporting the Iranian nuclear deal because the alternative would be war.
- State of the Race: The campaign for Pennsylvania's US seat Updated: Jul-26-15 10:49 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Democrats can expect to decide a primary contest in nine months to see who will challenge U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey, a Republican who is seeking his second six-year term in the 2016 election. The seat is expected to be crucial to determining control of the U.S. Senate, and Democrats hope their four-to-three registration advantage in Pennsylvania and heightened voter interest in the presidential election will deliver a victory to their eventual nominee. Here is a look at the race and the candidates:
- Lieberman, in retirement, lobbies against Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-26-15 10:37 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Former Sen. Joe Lieberman, who staked his Senate career on a tough U.S. response to terrorism following the 9/11 attacks, has emerged from retirement to again jump into the fray.
- Clinton says she's confident about proper handling of emails Updated: Jul-25-15 10:47 pm
WINTERSET, Iowa - Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton said Saturday she never knowingly sent or received classified information using her private email server and did not know what messages were being cited by intelligence investigators as examples of emails containing classified information.
- Planned Parenthood videos: No sign of political issue fading Updated: Jul-25-15 5:58 pm
WASHINGTON - Two stealthily recorded videos show Planned Parenthood officials discussing how they provide aborted fetal organs for research. The videos have put the group and its Democratic allies on the defensive.
- Ted Cruz goes to Senate floor to call GOP leader a liar Updated: Jul-25-15 5:47 pm
WASHINGTON - In a stunning, public attack on his own party leader, Republican Sen. Ted Cruz accused Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of lying, and said he was no better than his Democratic predecessor and couldn't be trusted.
- Illinois lawmakers seek federal flood relief for farmers Updated: Jul-25-15 4:08 am
CHICAGO - Members of Illinois' congressional delegation are asking President Barack Obama to approve federal disaster relief for farmers hit by severe flooding.
- Missouri legislator accused by interns submits resignation Updated: Jul-25-15 2:47 am
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri state Sen. Paul LeVota submitted his resignation following allegations that he made unwanted sexual advances toward interns, claims that the Democrat denied but that prompted party leaders to question his ability to serve.
- Missouri legislator accused by interns submits resignation Updated: Jul-25-15 12:11 am
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri state Sen. Paul LeVota submitted his resignation Friday following allegations that he made unwanted sexual advances toward interns, claims that the Democrat denied but that prompted party leaders to question his ability to serve.
- Appeals court revives challenge to consumer agency Updated: Jul-24-15 12:29 pm
WASHINGTON - A federal appeals court on Friday revived a legal challenge to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the federal office created to protect consumers in financial dealings with banks, lenders and credit card companies.
- Kerry: Agreement on Iran issue only alternative to force Updated: Jul-24-15 10:48 am
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry said Friday that if Congress disapproves of the Iranian nuclear deal, it will undermine President Barack Obama's ability to act throughout the world.