- Canadian, US crews plan search exercises near Traverse City Updated: Oct-13-15 4:01 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - The U.S. Coast Guard's Air Station Traverse City is teaming with members of the Royal Canadian Air Force for a search-and-rescue exercise in the Traverse City area.
- Philippines backs US plan to sail ship near Chinese island Updated: Oct-13-15 12:49 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines on Tuesday backed a reported U.S. plan to challenge China's territorial claims by deploying a Navy ship close to a Chinese-built island in the South China Sea, saying it was important for the international community to safeguard freedom of navigation in the disputed waters.
- Coast Guard rescues missing diver in New Jersey Updated: Oct-12-15 11:04 pm
BELMAR, New Jersey - The Coast Guard has rescued a 16-year-old girl who went missing from her dive group in the Shark River Inlet.
- US Rep. Tulsi Gabbard promoted to Army major Updated: Oct-12-15 10:17 pm
HONOLULU - U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard is being promoted from captain to major in the Hawaii Army National Guard.
- 2 rescued from burning sailboat off Rhode Island Updated: Oct-12-15 8:49 pm
LITTLE COMPTON, Rhode Island - Two people who abandoned a burning sailboat off Rhode Island have been rescued.
- US airdrops small arms ammunition to Syrian Arab groups Updated: Oct-12-15 4:41 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. cargo planes dropped small arms ammunition to Arab groups fighting the Islamic State group in northern Syria, a U.S. military spokesman said Monday.
- Navy, families mark 15th anniversary of attack on USS Cole Updated: Oct-12-15 3:39 pm
NORFOLK, Virginia - The Navy is marking the 15th anniversary of the terrorist attack on the USS Cole, which killed 17 sailors and injured dozens of others while in port in Yemen.
- Navy, families mark 15th anniversary of attack on USS Cole Updated: Oct-12-15 2:45 pm
NORFOLK, Virginia - It's been a decade since Olivia Rux attended a memorial ceremony for her husband Kevin and the 16 other sailors who were killed in a 2000 terrorist attack on the USS Cole while it was in port in Yemen.
- Coast Guard rescues boater adrift for 5 days off Hawaii Updated: Oct-12-15 2:40 pm
HONOLULU - The Coast Guard says a man who had been adrift for five days on storm-damaged catamaran was rescued near the Hawaiian island of Kauai.
- Prosecutions highlight bid to clean up defense supply chain Updated: Oct-12-15 12:24 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - When Peter Picone sold counterfeit electronic parts from China and Hong Kong for use in U.S. Navy submarines, the U.S. Justice Department says, he knew their failure could have "catastrophic" consequences.
- Lottery sees disagreement over name of game to help veterans Updated: Oct-12-15 9:14 am
LANSING, Michigan - The name of a new Michigan Lottery game where some money goes to help veterans has prompted debate about whether it is misleading.
- Ex-soldier upset by no jail time recommendation for Bergdahl Updated: Oct-11-15 6:06 pm
HOUSTON - A former member of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's platoon said Sunday he's angered by an Army officer's recommendation that Bergdahl face a lower-level court martial and be spared the possibility of jail time for leaving his post in Afghanistan.
- Pilot makes emergency landing off Miami coast Updated: Oct-11-15 5:26 pm
MIAMI - A pilot is safe after landing a small plane off the coast of Miami.
- Marine base in Hawaii to keep 'God bless' sign Updated: Oct-11-15 12:23 pm
HONOLULU - A Marine base on Oahu is keeping its "God bless the military" sign despite pressure from a religious freedom group.
- Davern, defense help Air Force beat Wyoming 31-17 Updated: Oct-11-15 2:54 am
AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colorado - Safety Brodie Hicks was a little modest about his big turnover night.
- Errant pitches doom Army in 44-3 home loss to Duke Updated: Oct-10-15 6:14 pm
WEST POINT, New York - Army had suffered through four losses by a combined 16 points this season, a sign of hope for a team that's been down for too long. A lopsided loss isn't likely to deter the resolve of the Black Knights.
- Duke defense stifles mistake-prone Army in 44-3 win Updated: Oct-10-15 5:19 pm
WEST POINT, New York - Duke is in rarefied air after a convincing victory over Army. The task for coach David Cutcliffe is to keep it going.
- Father, son rescued from water near Oakley marina Updated: Oct-10-15 12:23 pm
OAKLEY, California - The Coast Guard is crediting a Good Samaritan with helping to rescue two people from an overturned vessel near a marina in Oakley.
- Michigan bridge renamed after Navy SEAL to be dedicated Updated: Oct-10-15 4:02 am
EPOUFETTE, Michigan - Relatives and friends of a U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Afghanistan are expected to attend the dedication of a Michigan bridge renamed after him.
- US weighing Russian response on Syria flight safety Updated: Oct-09-15 8:50 pm
ABOARD A US MILITARY AIRCRAFT - Russian leaders have responded to a proposed draft of safety guidelines for military aircraft flying missions in the increasingly crowded skies over Syria, the Pentagon said Friday.
- More, smaller icebergs could show up in Alaska tanker lanes Updated: Oct-09-15 4:23 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Icebergs that threaten tankers carrying oil from the trans-Alaska pipeline are likely to be smaller but more numerous over the next two decades, according to a study by a citizens oversight group.
- Coast Guard: Owner must pay to salvage home swept into bay Updated: Oct-09-15 10:45 am
CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE, New Jersey - The owner of a southern New Jersey shore home that washed into the bay during a storm over the weekend is responsible for the cost of salvaging it, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.
- USNS Big Horn returning to Virginia after 4-month deployment Updated: Oct-09-15 6:37 am
PORTSMOUTH, Virginia - A Navy supply ship that has spent four months refueling U.S. and NATO ships is returning to Virginia.
- Coast Guardsmen rescue truck driver from burning vehicle Updated: Oct-09-15 4:36 am
MOBILE, Alabama - Four Mobile-based Coast Guardsmen have rescued a man from a burning semitrailer.
- Coast Guard urging boaters to be cautious as it gets colder Updated: Oct-09-15 3:05 am
ALBANY, New York - The U.S. Coast Guard is reminding fishermen, boaters and paddlers around New York to be extra careful as the air and water temperatures begin to drop during the autumn months.