- The Latest: Lavrov says Russia, US is crucial in Syria Updated: Feb-13-16 7:50 am
MUNICH - The Latest on the security conference in Munich (all times local):
- Things to know about Obama's summit with SE Asian leaders Updated: Feb-13-16 3:07 am
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama hosts Southeast Asian leaders at an unprecedented summit in California starting Monday as he looks to deepen ties with the region's fast-growing economies. But a nation not invited - neighboring power China - will be the proverbial elephant in the room as the leaders grapple with sensitive territorial disputes.
- US deploys more Patriot missiles in South Korea Updated: Feb-12-16 9:20 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - The United States temporarily deployed an additional Patriot missile battery in South Korea in response to North Korea's nuclear test and a long-range rocket launch, ahead of talks next week to set up an even more sophisticated U.S. missile defense in a move that has worried China and Russia.
- Navy attack sub returns to homeport in Groton Updated: Feb-12-16 8:05 pm
GROTON, Connecticut - A U.S. Navy attack submarine has returned to its homeport in Groton after a deployment to the waters around Europe.
- Coast Guard: Oil in Potomac came from area of Dominion plant Updated: Feb-12-16 6:27 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - The Coast Guard says all the oil that spilled into the Potomac River earlier this month came from near a Dominion Virginia Power substation where a spill was reported in January.
- Coast Guard to decide if storm-damaged cruise ship can sail Updated: Feb-12-16 3:11 pm
BAYONNE, New Jersey - The Coast Guard on Friday inspected a cruise ship that was battered and damaged by an intense winter storm to determine if it will be able to set sail as scheduled on a weekend voyage.
- US Africa Command: Senior LRA rebel commander defects in CAR Updated: Feb-12-16 2:41 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - A senior commander with the rebel group Lord's Resistance Army has defected to villagers in Central African Republic, the U.S. Africa Command said Friday.
- Man, woman from Texas killed in plane crash off Florida Updated: Feb-12-16 1:42 pm
DESTIN, Florida - A man and woman from Texas were killed when a small plane they were in crashed into the Gulf of Mexico off the Florida Panhandle, officials said Friday.
- The Latest: Man, woman killed in plane crash off Florida Updated: Feb-12-16 1:39 pm
DESTIN, Florida - The Latest on a small plane that crashed off the Florida Panhandle (all times local):
- Guard medic in Flint credited with helping ill resident Updated: Feb-12-16 11:14 am
FLINT, Michigan - The state says a National Guard medic assisting in responding to Flint's crisis with lead-tainted water is credited with helping to save the life of a resident.
- Diplomats aim for temporary Syria truce in a week Updated: Feb-12-16 1:37 am
MUNICH - Diplomats trying to secure a cease-fire for the civil war in Syria fell short early Friday in organizing a truce but agreed to try to work out details and implement a temporary "cessation of hostilities" in a week's time. The deal appeared to be the result of a compromise between the United States, which had wanted an immediate cease-fire, and Russia, which had proposed one to start on March 1.
- The Latest: Funeral arrangement for deputy announced Updated: Feb-11-16 8:44 pm
ABINGDON, Maryland - The Latest on a gunman fatally shooting two sheriff's deputies and being killed in a shootout (all times local):
- 560 shells, bottles of mustard agent destroyed in Colorado Updated: Feb-11-16 5:58 pm
PUEBLO, Colorado - U.S. Army officials say 560 shells and bottles containing mustard agent have been destroyed in the first round of a project to eliminate the nation's largest remaining stockpile of the chemical.
- Alaska adopts new rules for dispersant use in oil spills Updated: Feb-11-16 4:40 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaska oil spill responders have adopted new rules for the rapid use of chemical dispersant but say dispersant will continue to be considered only rarely when mechanical cleanup is not practical.
- Pentagon chief predicting 'tangible gains' in Iraq, Syria Updated: Feb-11-16 1:26 pm
BRUSSELS - U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter predicted on Thursday that recent U.S.-led efforts to accelerate the fight against the Islamic State group would produce "tangible gains" in Iraq and Syria by March, even as coalition partners pledged to expand and deepen their military contributions.
- Senators: Let female WWII pilots into Arlington Cemetery Updated: Feb-11-16 12:51 pm
WASHINGTON - Two dozen U.S. senators want the Army to reverse a policy change barring female World War II pilots from having their ashes placed at Arlington National Cemetery.
- Army Corps Engineers denies funding for Red River study Updated: Feb-11-16 8:15 am
SHREVEPORT, Louisiana - The U.S. Army Corps Engineers has denied funding for a study of Red River which was requested in response to flooding in June.
- 2 boaters rescued near mouth of Mississippi River Updated: Feb-11-16 7:51 am
NEW ORLEANS - The Coast Guard rescued two people from a 13-foot aluminum flat boat taking water near the mouth of the Mississippi River.
- Russia proposes March 1 ceasefire in Syria; US wants it now Updated: Feb-10-16 10:14 pm
MUNICH - Russia has proposed a March 1 ceasefire in Syria, U.S. officials said Wednesday, but Washington believes Moscow is giving itself and the Syrian government three weeks to try to crush moderate rebel groups.
- Coast Guard helps fishermen after boat fire south of Hawaii Updated: Feb-10-16 8:35 pm
HONOLULU - A U.S. Coast Guard airplane was heading south of Hawaii on Wednesday to help 42 people who abandoned their fishing vessel after it caught fire.
- Army pays woman $820,000 to settle sexual harassment case Updated: Feb-10-16 8:01 pm
SAN DIEGO - The Army has paid $820,000 to settle a lawsuit by a former military police trainee who says she was fired after she filed a sexual harassment complaint against a supervisor, defense lawyers said Wednesday.
- Coast Guard Academy investigating cheating allegations Updated: Feb-10-16 5:35 pm
NEW LONDON, Connecticut - The U.S. Coast Guard Academy is investigating allegations that a group of cadets cheated on online quizzes.
- Somerville to pay Marine reservist over employment rights Updated: Feb-10-16 3:02 pm
SOMERVILLE, Massachusetts - The city of Somerville has agreed to pay more than $15,000 in back pay for allegations it violated a Marine Corps reservist's employment rights.
- Body of Air Force member, boater found in Pyramid Lake Updated: Feb-10-16 1:22 pm
RENO, Nevada - Authorities say a boater and member of the U.S. Air Force has been found dead in Nevada's Pyramid Lake.
- Law enforcement hold drill on Washington state ferry Updated: Feb-10-16 11:13 am
SEATTLE - The Washington State Patrol plans to conduct drills on the Washington State Ferries vessel Hyak on Wednesday.