- The Latest: Sen. McConnell calls on Trump to unite party Updated: May-04-16 8:06 pm
WASHINGTON - The Latest on the 2016 presidential campaign (all times EDT):
- Trial opens in sisters' slaying; defense calls cops 'sloppy' Updated: May-02-16 3:51 pm
PITTSBURGH - DNA and video surveillance evidence strongly suggest a Pittsburgh man killed his neighbors, who were both sisters of an Iowa state lawmaker, a prosecutor said Monday as the double-murder trial began.
- Branstad, Democrats criticize each other on water quality Updated: May-02-16 12:47 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Gov. Terry Branstad and Democratic lawmakers are blaming each other for failing to pass legislation on water quality initiatives.
- Branstad says he supports budget language on agency salaries Updated: May-02-16 12:04 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Gov. Terry Branstad says he supports new language in a budget bill requiring state agencies to be more transparent about using infrastructure money on employee salaries.
- Iowa lawmakers put aside philosophical differences on budget Updated: May-01-16 11:14 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - To adjourn the legislative session, Iowa lawmakers had to settle disagreements over Planned Parenthood and state employee salaries that didn't amount to much money but represented deep philosophical differences between the two parties.
- Lawmakers agree budget; Planned Parenthood funding survives Updated: Apr-29-16 8:25 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Iowa Legislature on Friday adjourned its 2016 session with agreement over a roughly $7.35 billion budget, following days of private meetings that ultimately stopped an attempt by GOP lawmakers to remove state funding for Planned Parenthood.
- Court tosses Iowa City robbery conviction on unlawful search Updated: Apr-29-16 3:43 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A divided Iowa Supreme Court overturned the robbery conviction of an Iowa City man on Friday, establishing in a 4-3 decision that police can't search someone's personal belongings without a warrant even when the items are in the home of another person who consents to a search.
- Texas man in Iowa to face lottery jackpot fraud charges Updated: Apr-28-16 5:24 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A Texas man accused of helping a lottery computer manager in Iowa collect jackpots from rigged lottery games gave up a yearlong extradition fight on Thursday and traveled to Iowa to face charges.
- Iowa lawmakers agree on oversight bill for boarding schools Updated: Apr-28-16 4:55 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa will have clear regulatory authority over private boarding schools in the state under a legislative deal reached Thursday that also protects religious curriculum at such institutions and other educational facilities.
- Iowa Legislature approves bill to reduce prison sentencing Updated: Apr-27-16 7:38 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Iowa Legislature has approved a bill that is expected to reduce prison sentences for inmates serving time for certain drug offenses.
- Iowa lawmakers OK bill with no money for repairing buildings Updated: Apr-27-16 6:58 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - An infrastructure bill passed Wednesday in the Iowa Legislature does not include designated funding for three state buildings with serious maintenance issues, and lawmakers involved in crafting the legislation say building maintenance needs to be prioritized.
- Attempt to revive talks on medical marijuana fails in House Updated: Apr-27-16 5:03 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - An attempt to revive talks on legislation that would expand medical marijuana access in Iowa has failed in the state House.
- Attempt to keep alive Iowa fireworks bill gets shot down Updated: Apr-27-16 2:45 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - An attempt to keep alive a bill that would allow the sale of fireworks in Iowa has fizzled out and is considered dead this session.
- I-35 lane reopens near Ames after roadbed undermined Updated: Apr-27-16 12:25 pm
AMES, Iowa - One southbound lane of Interstate 35 has reopened after officials had to close the roadway near Ames due to a dip in the pavement.
- Iowa House OKs bill on changes to Des Moines water utility Updated: Apr-26-16 2:36 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Lawmakers in the Republican-controlled House have passed a budget bill that could change decision-making within a Des Moines utility that sued three Iowa counties over polluted water.
- Iowa lawmakers form special committees amid budget talks Updated: Apr-26-16 1:01 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Members of the Iowa Legislature continue to negotiate on a series of bills that will make up the next state budget.
- Iowa House OKs bill on mental health prescriptions Updated: Apr-25-16 8:13 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Iowa House has approved legislation that would allow specially trained psychologists to prescribe medication to mentally ill people in the state.
- Lawmakers OK tax rebates to benefit 'Field of Dreams' site Updated: Apr-25-16 7:09 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa lawmakers have passed legislation to offer tax rebates that could benefit construction of a sports complex at the "Field of Dreams" movie site.
- Iowa bicyclist dies after being struck by pickup truck Updated: Apr-25-16 12:39 pm
GLIDDEN, Iowa - A bicyclist has died after being struck by a pickup truck in western Iowa.
- Mental health providers say Iowa needs more prescribers Updated: Apr-24-16 9:05 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - A bill pending in the Iowa House would allow specially trained psychologists to prescribe medication to mentally ill people in hopes of alleviating a shortage of treatment options, but the proposal has run into opposition from some of the state's psychiatrists.
- Disagreements mean Iowa lawmakers will return next week Updated: Apr-22-16 6:09 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Lawmakers in the split Iowa Legislature haven't reached agreement on several issues needed for adjournment this session, and it means they'll be back next week.
- Iowa looks to Minnesota for medical marijuana Updated: Apr-22-16 3:25 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Iowa and Minnesota lawmakers are exploring a system to allow Iowa residents to buy medical marijuana oil from their northern neighbor, lawmakers from both states have told The Associated Press.
- State prevails in 2011 Medicaid payments court challenge Updated: Apr-22-16 12:02 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Iowa Supreme Court has handed a victory to the Iowa Department of Human Services in a dispute over cuts in payments made to a group of Medicaid service providers in 2011.
- Iowa senators say they're hearing about Medicaid problems Updated: Apr-20-16 8:16 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - State senators said Wednesday that they have heard complaints about Iowa's Medicaid program under private management and that state officials providing information on the new system should stop telling the public the transition has been smooth.
- Reynolds meets prime minister of Israel during overseas trip Updated: Apr-20-16 11:31 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds says she met with the prime minister of Israel during a recent trade mission to the country.