- NATO seeking to reconcile death totals in Kunduz attack Updated: Nov-27-15 3:35 pm
WASHINGTON - Nearly two months after a U.S. warplane mistakenly attacked a hospital in northern Afghanistan, officials said Friday it remains unclear how many civilians were killed.
- Notorious warlord seeks comeback, leverage in Afghanistan Updated: Nov-27-15 3:14 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - After more than 40 years at war, one of Afghanistan's most notorious warlords, designated a "global terrorist" by the United States and blacklisted by the United Nations along with Osama bin Laden, wants to come out of the shadows.
- Russia, France agree to tighten cooperation against IS Updated: Nov-27-15 12:58 am
MOSCOW - The presidents of France and Russia agreed Thursday to tighten cooperation in the fight against the Islamic State group, although they remained at odds over their approach toward Syrian President Bashar Assad.
- Turkey shoots down Russian jet it says violated its airspace Updated: Nov-24-15 5:41 pm
MOSCOW - Turkey shot down a Russian warplane on Tuesday that it said ignored repeated warnings and crossed into its airspace from Syria, killing at least one of the two pilots in a long-feared escalation in tensions between Russia and NATO. Russian President Vladimir Putin denounced what he called a "stab in the back" and warned of "significant consequences."
- Survivors of Afghan hospital attack tell of terror Updated: Nov-21-15 1:49 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - It was like the end of the world, Anayatullah Nazari said. "It was like they were determined to kill us all and that nobody would survive. It was like doomsday, nothing I could ever imagine."
- France demands EU support in Syria, Iraq and other missions Updated: Nov-17-15 11:25 am
- IS could ultimately force West to consider invasion Updated: Nov-16-15 2:48 pm
CAIRO - This is the fundamental contradiction, after Paris: Few in the West want to send ground troops to Syria and Iraq to battle the Islamic State group, but it may be even harder to find anyone who thinks airstrikes alone will defeat the radical extremists.
- The Latest: Top officials heading to Paris concert hall Updated: Nov-13-15 7:28 pm
PARIS - The latest on shootings and explosions in Paris. (all times local):
- Helmut Schmidt dies at 96, ex-chancellor and elder statesman Updated: Nov-11-15 12:36 am
BERLIN - Helmut Schmidt was blunt and down to earth, decisive and brimming with self-confidence.
- Former West German Chancellor Helmut Schmidt dies at age 96 Updated: Nov-10-15 7:39 pm
BERLIN - Helmut Schmidt, the chancellor who guided West Germany through economic turbulence and Cold War tensions, stood firm against a wave of homegrown terrorism and became a respected elder statesman, died Tuesday. He was 96.
- UNESCO rejects membership for Kosovo in victory for Serbia Updated: Nov-09-15 1:27 pm
PARIS - Members of the U.N. cultural agency narrowly rejected Kosovo's bid for membership on Monday in a victory for Serbia and Russia and a blow to Kosovo's mission for global recognition as a state.
- US deploys 6 F-15 fighter jets to Turkish air base Updated: Nov-06-15 10:24 am
ANKARA, Turkey - The U.S. military on Friday deployed six F-15C fighter jets to Turkey's southern Incirlik air base to help defend Turkish airspace against potential intruders.
- Kosovo hopes to join UNESCO; vows to protect Serb heritage Updated: Nov-04-15 3:30 am
PRISTINA, Kosovo - Kosovo hopes soon to get a major symbolic boost in its path to recognition as a state: membership in UNESCO.