- Europe Central Bank to halt production of 500-euro bills Updated: May-04-16 4:11 pm
FRANKFURT, Germany - Production of the 500-euro banknote is being discontinued amid concerns it had become too popular among crooks and money launderers.
- Portugal wins more time for recovery after rating decision Updated: Apr-29-16 12:44 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal and the rest of the eurozone could breathe a sigh of relief Friday after international ratings agency DBRS said it wasn't lowering Portuguese sovereign debt to junk status - a feared move that likely would have sparked a fresh bout of international jitters about the soundness of the shared currency.
- While leaving US rates unchanged, Fed keeps an eye overseas Updated: Apr-28-16 1:03 am
WASHINGTON - When the Federal Reserve chose not to raise its key interest rate, it nevertheless made clear that its next move will be another increase. That stance puts it at odds with other major central banks, which are doing the reverse - seeking to ease credit to spur lending.
- The Latest: ECB chief downplays idea of 'helicopter money' Updated: Apr-21-16 9:23 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - The Latest on the European Central Bank's policy meeting and news conference (all times local):
- What to look out for in the European Central Bank's meeting Updated: Apr-20-16 4:59 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Europe's big dose of economic stimulus medicine is working - and if somehow it isn't, there's more available.
- European Central Bank faces down eruption of German critics Updated: Apr-11-16 10:26 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Long-simmering discontent is boiling over among German conservatives opposed to the European Central Bank's stimulus policies, causing a clash of words as the ECB defends its independence from political interference.
- Spanish, Angolan rivals reach deal over Portuguese bank Updated: Apr-11-16 6:58 am
LISBON, Portugal - The Lisbon stock exchange suspended trading in shares in Banco Portugues do Investimento as the market awaited details Monday of a takeover agreement between the bank's Spanish and Angolan shareholders.