- Exhaustion, elation as 5,000 migrants reach Austria, Germany Updated: Sep-05-15 10:44 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Thousands of exhausted, elated people fleeing their Arab and Asian homelands reached their dream destinations of Germany and Austria on Saturday, completing epic journeys by boat, bus, train and foot to escape war and poverty.
- The Latest: Hungarian PM says migrant crisis not resolved Updated: Sep-05-15 9:13 am
The latest news as tens of thousands of migrants pour into countries across Europe. All times local (CET):
- A photo, a turning point? All depends on Europe's leaders Updated: Sep-04-15 4:07 pm
PARIS - The 3-year-old boy could have been dressed for preschool. Instead he was lying face down in the surf.
- Contours of landmark UN climate pact starting to take shape Updated: Sep-04-15 2:35 pm
BONN, Germany - U.N. climate talks are plodding ahead toward a worldwide deal to fight global warming, with negotiators agreeing to start work on a draft agreement.
- Britain's Cameron: Independent Catalonia would be out of EU Updated: Sep-04-15 11:20 am
MADRID - British Prime Minister David Cameron says the Catalonia region of Spain would be forced to leave the European Union if separatists manage to pull off a secession drive and carve out a new Mediterranean nation.
- Germany's BASF, Russia's Gazprom revive gas asset swap Updated: Sep-04-15 7:04 am
BERLIN - Germany's BASF SE is reviving a planned asset swap with Russian gas company Gazprom that was called off last December.
- European Central Bank ready to give eurozone more stimulus Updated: Sep-03-15 1:00 pm
FRANKFURT, Germany - The European Central Bank is ready to give the eurozone economy a bigger dose of stimulus if turmoil in China and weaker global growth hurt its modest recovery, President Mario Draghi said Thursday.
- NATO opens military center in Lithuania amid Ukraine crisis Updated: Sep-03-15 9:44 am
VILNIUS, Lithuania - Fighter jets roaring overhead, NATO on Thursday inaugurated a military center in the Lithuanian capital amid growing concerns in the Baltic countries over Russia's military presence.
- The Latest: ECB's Draghi says inflation target must stand Updated: Sep-03-15 9:22 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - The latest on the European economy as the European Central Bank meets to discuss its monetary policy (all times local):
- Greece announces measures for refugees on islands Updated: Sep-02-15 8:37 am
ATHENS, Greece - Greece's caretaker government announced measures Wednesday to improve conditions for the tens of thousands of refugees and migrants arriving on eastern Greek islands, and to bolster support for the islands' residents.
- Chaos in Budapest train station amid Europe's migrant crisis Updated: Sep-01-15 4:42 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Chanting "Freedom! Freedom!," angry migrants demanded to be let aboard trains bound for Austria and Germany after Hungary temporarily suspended all rail traffic Tuesday from its main Budapest terminal and brawny police forced hundreds of migrants out of the train station.
- Merkel makes vague warning on Catalan independence plan Updated: Sep-01-15 6:58 am
BERLIN - German Chancellor Angela Merkel says European Union treaties guarantee the integrity and sovereignty of member nations, a diplomatic warning to separatist politicians in the Spanish region of Catalonia who plan to declare independence if they win a majority in upcoming local elections.
- Grenade explodes during Ukraine clashes; 1 officer killed Updated: Aug-31-15 5:31 pm
KIEV, Ukraine - As lawmakers took up a measure to give greater powers to separatists in eastern Ukraine, nationalist protesters clashed with police outside parliament on Monday, and the Interior Ministry said one officer was killed in a grenade blast and more than 100 were wounded.
- Austria inspects trucks for migrants, creates 18-mile backup Updated: Aug-31-15 5:28 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Austria stepped up vehicle inspections Monday at its Hungarian border after 71 migrants apparently suffocated in a truck, creating a huge traffic jam on the main Budapest-Vienna highway.
- AP Interview: IOM chief slams Hungary over migrant policies Updated: Aug-31-15 1:14 pm
GENEVA - Countries like Hungary that have blocked desperate migrants from traveling by train in Europe "push them right into the hands of smugglers," with potentially deadly consequences, the head of the International Organization for Migration said Monday.
- EU Council president rejects criticism over migrant crisis Updated: Aug-31-15 1:10 pm
BLED, Slovenia - European Council president Donald Tusk has rejected criticism of Europe's handling of the migrant crisis and promised further measures to deal with the issue.
- EU gives France 5 million euros for new Calais migrant camp Updated: Aug-31-15 12:13 pm
PARIS - Prime Minister Manuel Valls said Wednesday that firmness must accompany humanity in dealing with Europe's ongoing migrant crisis as officials announced plans for a new refugee center in Calais, where thousands of migrants have gathered in hopes of sneaking across the English Channel to Britain.
- German leader presses for EU to share migrant burden Updated: Aug-31-15 10:37 am
BERLIN - German Chancellor Angela Merkel pressed fellow European nations Monday to share the burden of the influx of migrants, arguing that the European Union will betray its values if it fails to get a grip on the crisis.
- More ID, bag checks on Europe's trains after foiled attack Updated: Aug-29-15 3:02 pm
PARIS - European countries will increase identity checks and baggage controls on trains after American passengers thwarted an attack on a high-speed train from Amsterdam to Paris, France's interior minister said Saturday.
- Attack draws new scrutiny to railways linking open Europe Updated: Aug-28-15 2:43 pm
PARIS - Europe's rail system is at the heart of its open borders, a way for passengers to travel on some of the world's fastest and most sophisticated mass transit with no need for passports or even ID.
- Poland to service Bulgaria's Soviet-era MiG-29 fighter jets Updated: Aug-28-15 10:46 am
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's defense ministry says the country has reached a preliminary agreement with Bulgaria to modernize the Balkan country's Soviet-era fleet of MiG-29 fighter jets.
- Ukraine asks Russia for lower gas prices for winter season Updated: Aug-28-15 9:01 am
MOSCOW - Ukraine asked Russia on Friday for lower gas prices for the winter and said Moscow should accept to write off a part of its loans to Kiev, as other international bondholders did this week.
- The Latest: Red Crescent: At least 105 dead in sea off Libya Updated: Aug-28-15 8:47 am
GENEVA - Here are the latest developments Friday regarding the tens of thousands of migrants trying to reach Europe.
- Google rejects EU anti-trust allegations as flawed Updated: Aug-27-15 3:40 pm
BRUSSELS - Google rejected on Thursday a complaint by Europe's competition watchdog that the Internet giant is abusing its dominance in Web searches to promote its own products.
- Record migrant flow reported on Hungary's razor-wire border Updated: Aug-27-15 1:11 pm
ROSZKE, Hungary - Hungary deployed police reinforcements to rein in an unrelenting flow of migrants across its porous border Thursday, but refugee activists said the effort appeared futile in a nation whose migrant camps are overloaded and barely delay their journeys west into the heart of the European Union.