- Uganda plans to withdraw troops from Somalia by end of 2017 Updated: Jun-24-16 10:06 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Uganda's military chief said Friday the country plans to withdraw its more than 6,000 troops from the African Union force in Somalia by December 2017. The Ugandans are the largest troop contingent in the AU force trying to protect the Somali government from the extremist group al-Shabab.
- UN says 80,000 have fled fighting in Darfur's Jebel Marra Updated: Jun-14-16 8:39 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations said Tuesday it has verified that 80,000 people have fled a conflict that began in January in Darfur's Jebel Marra region, a stronghold of a Sudan Liberation Army faction which is one of the main rebel groups fighting Sudanese security forces.
- Somalia: 30 Ethiopian troops killed in attack by militants Updated: Jun-09-16 7:12 am
MOGADISHU, Somalia - At least 30 Ethiopian troops were killed Thursday in an attack on a base for African Union peacekeepers in central Somalia, a Somali military official said.
- Somalia forces end extremist siege of hotel; 15 killed Updated: Jun-02-16 1:36 pm
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Somali security forces Thursday ended an overnight siege by extremist gunmen at a hotel in the capital which killed least 15 people, including two members of parliament, officials said.
- Turkey: EU cut in funds for AU troops in Somalia a mistake Updated: Jun-01-16 12:23 pm
KAMPALA, Uganda - The European Union's reduction in funding for African Union troops in Somalia is a big mistake, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Wednesday during a visit to Uganda.
- South Korea leader seeks African support against North Korea Updated: May-27-16 7:30 am
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - South Korea's president on Friday urged African leaders to support international efforts to denuclearize North Korea.