- Alabama troopers to have diminished presence at large events Updated: Oct-06-15 10:33 am
HUNTSVILLE, Alabama - Alabama state troopers, already a rare sight on many highways, are about to become a rare sight at the major events including Mardi Gras, Talladega and FootWash where they've helped provide security for years.
- Alabama Governor approves offering EMA staff to help in SC Updated: Oct-05-15 6:36 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama Emergency Management Agency may deploy staff to help officials in South Carolina respond to recent floods.
- Alabama judges use segregation-era law to avoid gay marriage Updated: Oct-03-15 11:01 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - As Alabama's all-white Legislature tried to preserve racial segregation and worried about the possibility of mixed-race marriages in 1961, lawmakers rewrote state law to make it optional for counties to issue marriage licenses.
- Divorce finalized for Alabama governor, former first lady Updated: Sep-29-15 9:08 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A judge on Tuesday signed a divorce decree for Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley and former first lady Dianne Bentley, quietly concluding the couple's 50-year marriage.
- Alabama trooper charged with domestic violence Updated: Sep-29-15 4:15 pm
FLORENCE, Alabama - An Alabama state trooper has been charged with domestic violence and placed on mandatory leave.
- Strange asks Ethics Commission to revisit opinion Updated: Sep-24-15 5:17 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange and state prosecutors have asked the state Ethics Commission to reconsider an advisory opinion that they said could undermine enforcement of state ethics law.
- Alabama editorial roundup Updated: Sep-23-15 4:40 pm
Recent editorials from Alabama newspapers:
- State trooper injured in crash along Interstate 59 Updated: Sep-23-15 8:17 am
TRUSSVILLE, Alabama - Authorities say an Alabama state trooper was hospitalized after an early-morning vehicle crash on Interstate 59.
- Planned Parenthood, Alabama in court over Medicaid money Updated: Sep-22-15 7:05 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Planned Parenthood went to court Tuesday and asked a federal judge to prevent Gov. Robert Bentley's administration from ending Medicaid payments to the organization's two Alabama clinics.
- Alabama court refuses to recognize lesbian mother's adoption Updated: Sep-18-15 7:30 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama Supreme Court refused Friday to recognize a lesbian woman's adoptions of her ex-partner's children that were granted in Georgia.
- Bentley signs general fund budget Updated: Sep-17-15 6:34 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley on Thursday signed the state's general fund budget into law after praising lawmakers who voted for a cigarette tax.
- Alabama probate judge asks not to marry same-sex couples Updated: Sep-16-15 11:52 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A probate judge has asked the Alabama Supreme Court for an order protecting him and other officials who refuse to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.
- Marriage license bill stalls in Alabama Legislature Updated: Sep-16-15 5:10 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama is staying in the marriage license business.
- House delays bill to block cities from raising minimum wage Updated: Sep-14-15 7:26 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A proposal to prohibit Alabama cities from raising the minimum wage for workers got heated debate - but not a vote- Monday in the House of Representatives.
- Bill would let officials solicit money for criminal defense Updated: Sep-14-15 6:19 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The head of the Alabama Ethics Commission on Monday sharply criticized a bill that would let public officials solicit money from lobbyists and others for criminal defense funds.
- Lottery bill stumbles in Senate committee Updated: Sep-10-15 4:36 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A Senate committee has delayed a vote on a lottery bill, likely killing the proposal for the special session.
- Truck fire closes all westbound lanes of Interstate 20 Updated: Sep-09-15 6:47 am
ABERNATHY, Alabama - State transportation officials say an early morning truck fire near the Georgia-Alabama line has blocked all of westbound Interstate 20.