- Alabama House committee votes down cigarette tax Updated: Aug-04-15 4:08 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A legislative committee has voted down a proposed hike in Alabama's cigarette tax, killing a major proposal for filling a shortfall in the state's operating budget.
- Gambling legislation clears first legislative hurdle Updated: Aug-04-15 1:28 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Gambling legislation has cleared its first hurdle in the Alabama Legislature.
- Panel votes out bills on marriage, guns and monuments Updated: Aug-03-15 9:32 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A state Senate committee on Monday approved a trio of hot-button issue bills related to guns, gay marriage and the removal of Confederate monuments.
- Lawmaker charged after shooting out ex-wife's tires Updated: Jul-31-15 8:29 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A state representative has admitted he shot out the tires of his ex-wife's car during an argument, but his ex says she wants charges against him dropped.
- SPLC adds to ethics complaint against Justice Roy Moore Updated: Jul-29-15 7:10 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Southern Poverty Law Center on Wednesday accused Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore of violating judicial ethics with his public criticisms of the U.S. Supreme Court ruling that legalized same-sex marriage nationwide.
- Alabama attorney general responds to complaints on gun laws Updated: Jul-29-15 2:58 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange says several local and state agencies have started complying with gun laws after his office investigated complaints against them.
- Former Ala state school superintendent Wayne Teague dies Updated: Jul-28-15 2:10 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama's longest-serving state school superintendent has died.
- Alabama judiciary chair has no plans to quit after arrest Updated: Jul-21-15 2:41 pm
ALABASTER, Alabama - The chairman of the Alabama Senate's Judiciary Committee said drinking and driving was a "huge mistake" but he doesn't believe he should resign after his arrest on a drunken driving charge.
- Alabama editorial roundup Updated: Jul-15-15 2:52 pm
Recent editorials from Alabama newspapers:
- Bentley, lawmakers, prepare for special session over budget Updated: Jul-12-15 1:11 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama Legislature will convene Monday for the beginning of a special legislative session addressing the state budget crisis.
- Alabama Supreme Court expands juvenile sex abuse rules Updated: Jul-10-15 2:47 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A decision by the Alabama Supreme Court could make it easier to prosecute child-sex cases.