- No eight for Australia at Rio Olympics, 1st time in 68 years Updated: May-25-16 2:19 am
SYDNEY - Australia won't have a men's eight crew in Olympic rowing for the first time in 68 years after failing to qualify for Rio de Janeiro at the final regatta in Lucerne, Switzerland.
- Sailors' nightmare in Rio Olympics: plastic bags, trash Updated: May-24-16 4:17 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - If you're the head of world sailing, this is your worst Olympic nightmare.
- Female Power: US, China look to women for medals in Olympics Updated: May-19-16 2:29 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The United States and China are tipped to finish 1-2 in the medals table at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics, and they'll rely heavily on female athletes to do it.
- Brazil bans Australian swim coach charged with sexual abuse Updated: May-18-16 12:08 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The Brazilian Olympic Committee says an Australian swim coach, who faced sexual abuse charges in the 1980s, will not be a member of the host country's staff for the games.
- Australian Olympic chief says drug cheats can never rest Updated: May-18-16 5:17 am
SYDNEY - IOC vice president John Coates says the most recent positive doping results of backdated tests from athletes competing at the 2008 Beijing Olympics proves "if we don't get you at the Games, we will get you later."
- UN: Zika more worrying but Rio Olympics shouldn't be moved Updated: May-17-16 8:48 am
GENEVA - The World Health Organization's chief says the agency is increasingly concerned about the Zika virus, even though it does not recommend canceling or postponing the Rio de Janeiro Summer Olympics in hard-hit Brazil.
- Aussie athletes to receive condoms touted at combating Zika Updated: May-16-16 12:44 am
SYDNEY - Australian athletes at the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro will be supplied with condoms which manufacturers say will offer "near complete" antiviral protection against the Zika virus.
- Ex-rugby League star Hayne leaves NFL, aims for Olympics Updated: May-15-16 11:03 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Australian rugby league star Jarryd Hayne's NFL experiment is over, as he announced his retirement Sunday from the San Francisco 49ers in order to push for selection in the Fiji Rugby Sevens team for the Rio Olympics.
- Canadian professor: Olympics should be postponed due to Zika Updated: May-11-16 10:45 am
LONDON - With the opening ceremony in Rio de Janeiro less than three months away, a Canadian professor has called for the Olympics to be postponed or moved because of the Zika outbreak, warning the influx of visitors to Brazil will result in the avoidable birth of malformed babies.
- IOC vice president Coates happy with Rio Games progress Updated: May-07-16 1:43 am
SYDNEY - Two years after John Coates called delayed preparations for the Rio de Janeiro Games "the worst I have experienced," the International Olympic Committee vice-president said Saturday that he's impressed with the progress organizers have made with 90 days until the games begin.
- Quade Cooper won't be part of Australia's 7s Olympic team Updated: May-05-16 6:35 am
SYDNEY - France-based flyhalf Quade Cooper won't play for Australia's sevens team at the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro after being dropped by coach Andy Friend.
- Australia's Marc Leishman out of Rio Olympics consideration Updated: May-04-16 10:07 pm
Marc Leishman won't be playing golf for Australia at the Rio Olympics in August, citing concerns over the health of his family because of the mosquito-borne Zika virus.
- Britain's Olympic cycling coach resigns over comments Updated: Apr-27-16 2:07 pm
MANCHESTER, England - One of the key figures behind Britain's successful Olympic cycling team resigned on Wednesday, soon after being suspended by the national governing body for allegedly making discriminatory remarks to riders.
- If they build a golf course, will they come to Olympics? Updated: Apr-26-16 6:26 pm
Building the new golf course in Rio de Janeiro in time for the Olympics once was considered the biggest obstacle.
- Schwartzel becomes 4th major champion to skip Olympics Updated: Apr-25-16 5:50 pm
Charl Schwartzel of South Africa is the latest player to drop out of the Olympics, making him the fourth major champion in the last two weeks to decide against being part of golf's return after a 112-year absence.