- Shock, fear in Syrian government bastions after bombings Updated: May-24-16 3:47 pm
BEIRUT - Convoys of coffins streamed through the streets and mourners fired guns in the air Tuesday as two Syrian coastal towns - government strongholds that had gone relatively untouched throughout the civil war - reeled from coordinated bombings that killed more than 160 people.
- The Latest: Russia denies losing helicopters at Syrian base Updated: May-24-16 10:10 am
BEIRUT - The Latest on the violence in Syria a day after deadly attacks claimed by the Islamic State group targeted government strongholds (all times local):
- Former missionary recalls hostage experience 15 years later Updated: May-23-16 9:04 am
ROSE HILL, Kansas - A former missionary held hostage for more than a year is recalling the experience as the 15-year anniversary of her abduction approaches.
- Islamic State's lasting grip is a new hurdle for Europe, US Updated: May-22-16 6:24 am
PARIS - The girl, speaking in the lilting accent of southern France, appeared in government ads describing how she was recruited by Islamic State extremists during her quest for religion, then encouraged to quit school and go to Syria, and finally to plot a suicide attack against a synagogue at home.
- Pentagon: US airstrike targets Taliban leader Mullah Mansour Updated: May-21-16 9:30 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. targeted Taliban leader Mullah Mansour in an airstrike Saturday near the Afghanistan-Pakistan border, the Defense Department said, and a U.S. official said Mansour was believed to have been killed.
- US widens sanctions on Islamic State, al-Qaida branches Updated: May-19-16 1:22 pm
- Heathrow Airport plot central to terror case sentencing Updated: May-16-16 6:10 pm
NEW YORK - A judge said Monday she's inclined to believe the U.S. government when it says a Vietnamese man plotted to carry out a suicide bombing of London's Heathrow Airport.
- UN envoy warns that Hezbollah expansion can threaten Lebanon Updated: May-13-16 9:09 pm
- Life sentence for UAE man whose wife murdered US citizen Updated: May-09-16 9:35 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A court in the United Arab Emirates handed a life sentence on Monday to the husband of an Emirati woman who was executed for the murder of an American school teacher.
- Afghanistan faces tough battle as Haqqanis unify the Taliban Updated: May-07-16 2:42 pm
ISLAMABAD - A shadowy, Pakistan-based militant faction is on the rise within the Taliban after its leader was appointed deputy and played a key role in unifying the fractured insurgency.
- US military supporting Yemen in fight against al-Qaida Updated: May-05-16 6:43 pm
WASHINGTON - The Pentagon is providing military support, intelligence, ships and special operations forces to help in the ongoing operations against al-Qaida militants in Yemen, U.S. officials said Thursday.
- US military: Al-Qaida working more closely with the Taliban Updated: May-05-16 1:39 pm
- Kenya: Police disrupt alleged plot by extremist medics Updated: May-03-16 3:03 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Kenyan police have disrupted a cell of extremist medics linked to the Islamic State group suspected of plotting a biological attack on Kenya and recruiting university students to join the group in Libya and Syria, Kenya's police chief said Tuesday
- Singapore detains 8 Bangladeshis suspected of IS group links Updated: May-03-16 10:46 am
SINGAPORE - Singapore has detained eight Bangladeshi workers on suspicion of planning attacks linked to the Islamic State group in their home country, authorities said Tuesday
- After hostage beheading, is Philippines facing IS threat? Updated: Apr-28-16 9:11 am
MANILA, Philippines - Months before Abu Sayyaf militants beheaded retired Canadian mining executive John Ridsdel in the tropical jungles of the southern Philippines, they showed him pleading for life in a video with three other hostages that demanded a record-high ransom.